The Great 'shrinking food and other items' Hunt

Comments

• Fire_Fox
    Fire_Fox Posts: 26,026 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Sainsburys garlic chicken kiev with whole breast fillets (£4-ish). Disgusting new recipe anyway, so no worries it is smaller for the same price.

Nasty squeaky chicken. Could get the size and taste at half that price. _pale_
    Declutterbug-in-progress.⭐️⭐️⭐️ ⭐️⭐️
  • 20aday
    20aday Posts: 2,610 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post PPI Party Pooper
    Sainsbury's have also seemingly shrunk some of their ready meals since the recent packaging rebrand; using the 'new' Nectar app I had XX amount of points for the 450g Cottage Pie but it's now 400g.

On the plus side I *think* they've reduced the price.
    It's not your credit score that counts, it's your credit history. Any replies are my own personal opinion and not a representation of my employer.
  • Westin
    Westin Posts: 5,938 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Noted that in Iceland that Flora have reduced the old 500g pack size to 470g and have the nerve to add a red flash on the pack saying ‘Value Size’.
  • Korkers gluten free sausages seem to have shrunk. 
  • Davidstow cheddar.

When I first discovered it the standard sized pack was 400g. A few years ago they downsized to 350g. Bought a pack at the weekend, seemed a little on the small side, I checked the label and it's now 320g. :/
  • 20aday
    20aday Posts: 2,610 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post PPI Party Pooper
    Aero and Milky Bars are now 90g instead of 100g.
    It's not your credit score that counts, it's your credit history. Any replies are my own personal opinion and not a representation of my employer.
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,572 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    20aday said:
    I'm sure things like this will be talked up as part of the anti obesity campaign but I think it should be investigated as profiteering. Shame the government is somewhat distracted at the moment. 😉
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,199 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    maman said:
    20aday said:
    I'm sure things like this will be talked up as part of the anti obesity campaign but I think it should be investigated as profiteering. Shame the government is somewhat distracted at the moment. 😉
    There's no law against profiteering in a capitalist free market economy like ours
    The only law is supply & demand

Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • od244051
    od244051 Posts: 1,054 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    New Covent Garden soup has reduced from 600g to 560g.

Noticed this when myself took the larger size to work and colleague bought a carton at lunch today at supermarket around the corner from work
  • Farway said:
    maman said:
    20aday said:
    There's no law against profiteering in a capitalist free market economy like ours
    The only law is supply & demand

Ain't that the truth. 

Whilst I don't agree with capitalism, this one is designed to push us in the right direction. I was in my twenties when the Cadbury's super-sized bars were in their heyday and ridiculously low prices, eg £1.20 for 400g and I would scoff plenty. I stopped buying chocolate a while ago and that was an economic decision. Next up will be cheese if it the offers dwindle.
    No man is worth crawling on this earth.

So much to read, so little time.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport