Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • FarmerGilesUK
    • By FarmerGilesUK 17th Oct 19, 9:11 AM
    • 67Posts
    • 12Thanks
    FarmerGilesUK
    Virgin Ripoff?
    • 17th Oct 19, 9:11 AM
    Virgin Ripoff? 17th Oct 19 at 9:11 AM
    Good morning everyone.

Last night a friend asked me to look at her account with Virgin Media as she thought she was paying rather a lot.

She's on their 108 mbps fibre broadband with phone package (no TV). At present Virgin are charging 57pcm and she's been with them 3 years.

I had a look at Uswitch and the price of that package (M100) is showing as 27pcm (no setup costs).

Doesn't seem right to me - what should she/I do?

Regards
Page 1
    • zx81
    • By zx81 17th Oct 19, 9:19 AM
    • 24,421 Posts
    • 27,228 Thanks
    zx81
    • 17th Oct 19, 9:19 AM
    • 17th Oct 19, 9:19 AM
    It's right - just about every company offers new customer promotions to attract new business.

Either phone to see if she can negotiate a lower price, or move to another provider.
    • JJ Egan
    • By JJ Egan 17th Oct 19, 9:32 AM
    • 13,572 Posts
    • 6,224 Thanks
    JJ Egan
    • 17th Oct 19, 9:32 AM
    • 17th Oct 19, 9:32 AM
    Friend has not kept on top of her account and let contract run on .
    • Neil Jones
    • By Neil Jones 17th Oct 19, 11:45 AM
    • 3,096 Posts
    • 2,255 Thanks
    Neil Jones
    • 17th Oct 19, 11:45 AM
    • 17th Oct 19, 11:45 AM
    Good morning everyone.

Last night a friend asked me to look at her account with Virgin Media as she thought she was paying rather a lot.

She's on their 108 mbps fibre broadband with phone package (no TV). At present Virgin are charging 57pcm and she's been with them 3 years.

I had a look at Uswitch and the price of that package (M100) is showing as 27pcm (no setup costs).

Doesn't seem right to me - what should she/I do?

Regards
    Originally posted by FarmerGilesUK
    Get on the blower and get a better deal, seek around the market and find an alternative deal that does for your friend what she wants (such the 27pm you've quoted) and use that as ammunition.

Just phone up and say I've looked around I've found a deal from Internet R Us for 25 a month (or whatever from whoever) and they'll give me everything but the kitchen sink for that, I'd rather stay with you what can you do for me?

That's all there is to it. Make sure any deals you find are genuine and publicly viewable - they do check - because otherwise you run the risk of coming out with something ridiculous that may not help matters.
    • FarmerGilesUK
    • By FarmerGilesUK 17th Oct 19, 5:01 PM
    • 67 Posts
    • 12 Thanks
    FarmerGilesUK
    • 17th Oct 19, 5:01 PM
    • 17th Oct 19, 5:01 PM

Just phone up and say I've looked around I've found a deal from Internet R Us for 25 a month (or whatever from whoever) and they'll give me everything but the kitchen sink for that, I'd rather stay with you what can you do for me.
    Originally posted by Neil Jones
    Exactly what I was going to do later today.

Thanks all for the help
    • cranford
    • By cranford 18th Oct 19, 7:23 PM
    • 569 Posts
    • 285 Thanks
    cranford
    • 18th Oct 19, 7:23 PM
    • 18th Oct 19, 7:23 PM
    VM current prices for M100 + telephone are 33 for new customers then 49 after 12 months. If talk at any time is included then its another 8. I suspect this may be why the current bill is 57.
    • FarmerGilesUK
    • By FarmerGilesUK 20th Oct 19, 1:40 PM
    • 67 Posts
    • 12 Thanks
    FarmerGilesUK
    • 20th Oct 19, 1:40 PM
    • 20th Oct 19, 1:40 PM
    Just to let you know that I negotiated a 108Mb contract with them at 35pcm (no phone). She was on a 70mb contract, so a 22pcm saving and a faster line.

Thanks to everyone
    • couriervanman
    • By couriervanman 20th Oct 19, 1:46 PM
    • 776 Posts
    • 1,459 Thanks
    couriervanman
    • 20th Oct 19, 1:46 PM
    • 20th Oct 19, 1:46 PM
    Does she actually need fast speed.....some great deals around for 36/78 Mbps

Its a bit like the mobile phone salesman telling you he can increase your mins from 500 to 1000 and data from 5 GB to 10 GB for the same price as long as you sign new contract.....but you only ever used 400 mins a month and 3gb
    • Muad_Dib
    • By Muad_Dib 20th Oct 19, 3:29 PM
    • 24 Posts
    • 118 Thanks
    Muad_Dib
    • 20th Oct 19, 3:29 PM
    • 20th Oct 19, 3:29 PM
    I have to say as soon as a internet provider says you can get a faster speed for less most people then close off and think great. But most people do not need the 100mb plus, as a 30mb plus is usually more than adequate. They will offer a good deal to keep you but at the end of that 12 or 18 months it will go up hugely. So you will need to search around again. So go for a deal on a 30mb to 40mb deal and save even more. Only households with several people using broadband for their TV computers etc etc using it all at once will ever need a super fast broadband. For the sake of downloading a film if you do this a little bit faster the cost is not worth it.
    • FarmerGilesUK
    • By FarmerGilesUK 24th Oct 19, 7:17 PM
    • 67 Posts
    • 12 Thanks
    FarmerGilesUK
    Also gone for a SIP phone with Sipgate Basic as the phone is only use for the occasional incoming call.
    • steadyon
    • By steadyon 30th Oct 19, 2:52 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    steadyon
    Loyal Virgin Customer
    Saw the new deal for Virgin Broadband only at 18 per month on MSE for 108Mb. A really good deal, however I am already with Virgin paying 32.50 per month. I phoned Virgin and asked how many days notice do I give to cancel my broadband connection reply was 30 days. I said fine and told her the reason for wanting to cancel as I saw a great deal on MSE, she said it is for new customers only and you would need to wait another month before you were deemed to be a new customer. So 60 days to get the MSE deal with 30 days without broadband.....so much for loyalty, they have you by the short and curlies!!!!
    Any ideas how I can get round this?
    • sal_III
    • By sal_III 30th Oct 19, 3:10 PM
    • 1,694 Posts
    • 1,561 Thanks
    sal_III
    Check if you can get a new account in the name of your partner/wife etc. Worked a treat some years ago we were switching between BT and Sky every 12m or so after the promotional rate had finished.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,836Posts Today

7,601Users online

Martin's Twitter