Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Harrietshaw
    • By Harrietshaw 6th Oct 19, 6:01 AM
    • 5Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Harrietshaw
    0 WOW
    Buying Euros before Brexit
    • 6th Oct 19, 6:01 AM
    0 WOW
    Buying Euros before Brexit 6th Oct 19 at 6:01 AM
    I travel to Disneyland Paris on Nov 7th. Should I be buying Euros sooner rather than later due to Brexit deadline? Im only looking for 200 worth. Normally we get via Thompson for our holidays and do a buy back guarentee, would that be recommended?
Page 1
    • benjus
    • By benjus 6th Oct 19, 8:44 AM
    • 5,323 Posts
    • 3,275 Thanks
    benjus
    • 6th Oct 19, 8:44 AM
    • 6th Oct 19, 8:44 AM
    The expected Brexit outcomes are already priced into the current exchange rate - so if things turn out better than the market expects the pound could get stronger after Brexit.

But if you want to guarantee the exchange rate, buy now.

Most people on this forum agree that for most countries exchanging cash is out of the ark (as well as being relatively expensive) and it's much better to get a card that doesn't charge for use abroad and use it to withdraw cash after you arrive, or to pay for things directly. If you really want cash, look at the travel money maximiser on this site to find the best rates.
    Let's settle this like gentlemen: armed with heavy sticks
    On a rotating plate, with spikes like Flash Gordon
    And you're Peter Duncan; I gave you fair warning
    • eDicky
    • By eDicky 6th Oct 19, 8:28 PM
    • 4,979 Posts
    • 3,056 Thanks
    eDicky
    • 6th Oct 19, 8:28 PM
    • 6th Oct 19, 8:28 PM
    Normally we get via Thompson for our holidays and do a buy back guarentee, would that be recommended?
    Originally posted by Harrietshaw
    No, that's one of the worst possible choices. If you really want to exchange to euros in advance, forget cash and use Revolut. Otherwise keep your money in pounds until transaction at the best rates with a fee-free card such as Starling Bank or one of the 'travel' credit cards.
    • Kernow666
    • By Kernow666 10th Oct 19, 6:47 PM
    • 3,383 Posts
    • 3,134 Thanks
    Kernow666
    • 10th Oct 19, 6:47 PM
    • 10th Oct 19, 6:47 PM
    No, that's one of the worst possible choices. If you really want to exchange to euros in advance, forget cash and use Revolut. Otherwise keep your money in pounds until transaction at the best rates with a fee-free card such as Starling Bank or one of the 'travel' credit cards.
    Originally posted by eDicky

believe it or not some people like using cash , what if you had a card and all the ATMS were out of action , or you lost the card
    "If I know I'm going crazy, I must not be insane"
    • Browntoa
    • By Browntoa 10th Oct 19, 6:54 PM
    • 35,766 Posts
    • 41,942 Thanks
    Browntoa
    • 10th Oct 19, 6:54 PM
    • 10th Oct 19, 6:54 PM
    Large amounts of cash are not normally covered by travel insurance

2 travel cards , one in the safe in the hotel, other in your pocket
    I'm the Board Guide of the Referrers ,Telephones, Pensions , Shop Don't drop ,over 50's , Boost your income and Discount Code boards which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum runnning smoothly .However, please remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    • antenna
    • By antenna 17th Oct 19, 11:27 AM
    • 1,673 Posts
    • 1,019 Thanks
    antenna
    • 17th Oct 19, 11:27 AM
    • 17th Oct 19, 11:27 AM
    108. When you first posted now today 114.....does that answer your question?
    Political?....I dont do Political....well,not much!
    • onwards&upwards
    • By onwards&upwards 20th Oct 19, 1:12 PM
    • 1,386 Posts
    • 2,740 Thanks
    onwards&upwards
    • 20th Oct 19, 1:12 PM
    • 20th Oct 19, 1:12 PM
    believe it or not some people like using cash , what if you had a card and all the ATMS were out of action , or you lost the card
    Originally posted by Kernow666
    Do you worr6 about that at home?
    • photome
    • By photome 20th Oct 19, 2:05 PM
    • 14,344 Posts
    • 9,834 Thanks
    photome
    • 20th Oct 19, 2:05 PM
    • 20th Oct 19, 2:05 PM
    Originally posted by Kernow666
    You cannot be serious
    • Sharon87
    • By Sharon87 27th Oct 19, 1:18 PM
    • 3,742 Posts
    • 3,157 Thanks
    Sharon87
    • 27th Oct 19, 1:18 PM
    • 27th Oct 19, 1:18 PM
    I'm going holiday on the 6th November and when the exchange rate went up to 1.16 to the pound on xe.com I found a currency place exchanging at 1.15 to the pound (by pre-ordering online). I also got about the same amount.

I also have a Halifax Clarity Card, but will definitely need some cash before I arrive for the taxi from the airport. I always like carrying some cash on me on holiday. Cards are useful for restaurants, but when shopping smaller shops they might not accept them. I also don't trust some foreign ATMs, they've charged me in pounds, even when I chose the 'charge in local currency' option! (I got a refund thankfully - it was a currency card that already had dollars on...).

Disney will accept cards everywhere though, but i guess for tips and small purchases you might want cash
    • zagfles
    • By zagfles 27th Oct 19, 2:37 PM
    • 14,782 Posts
    • 13,251 Thanks
    zagfles
    I'm going holiday on the 6th November and when the exchange rate went up to 1.16 to the pound on xe.com I found a currency place exchanging at 1.15 to the pound (by pre-ordering online). I also got about the same amount.
    Originally posted by Sharon87
    How did you get the cash? Sent in the post, or travel out of your way to some obscure shop? Have you seen this thread
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=6061561
    I also have a Halifax Clarity Card, but will definitely need some cash before I arrive for the taxi from the airport. I always like carrying some cash on me on holiday.
    Airport with no ATMs, and where taxis don't take credit cards?
    Cards are useful for restaurants, but when shopping smaller shops they might not accept them. I also don't trust some foreign ATMs, they've charged me in pounds, even when I chose the 'charge in local currency' option! (I got a refund thankfully - it was a currency card that already had dollars on...).
    Never happened to me, I did get a receipt once saying GBP but the transaction came through in local currency. Much more likely to get DCC imposed when paying for stuff, where there's a shop assistant/waiter/hotel receptionist pressing the buttons, than an ATM where you are.

But even if the worst happens it'll cost far far less than what happened to the OP in the thread I linked above. Getting cash sent in the post, and carrying loads of cash around especially through airport security where you are physically separated from it is far more risky than an unclear/dodgy ATM.
    • mgdavid
    • By mgdavid 27th Oct 19, 2:55 PM
    • 6,324 Posts
    • 5,755 Thanks
    mgdavid
    ......... carrying loads of cash around especially through airport security where you are physically separated from it is far more risky than an unclear/dodgy ATM.
    Originally posted by zagfles

Can you explain how that happens to you, as it's *never* happened to me.
    The questions that get the best answers are the questions that give most detail....
    • zagfles
    • By zagfles 27th Oct 19, 2:59 PM
    • 14,782 Posts
    • 13,251 Thanks
    zagfles
    Can you explain how that happens to you, as it's *never* happened to me.
    Originally posted by mgdavid
    You have to empty your pockets at airport security, put all your bags, jackets etc in a tray which goes on a conveyor through the scanner. You've obviously never been through Manchester airport, where they even insist you take paper out of your pockets. So not even loose cash would be allowed.
    • J B
    • By J B 27th Oct 19, 8:34 PM
    • 3,579 Posts
    • 1,375 Thanks
    J B
    ........ Manchester airport, where they even insist you take paper out of your pockets. So not even loose cash would be allowed.

It happened to me at T1 last week
    • Sharon87
    • By Sharon87 30th Oct 19, 12:02 AM
    • 3,742 Posts
    • 3,157 Thanks
    Sharon87
    How did you get the cash? Sent in the post, or travel out of your way to some obscure shop? Have you seen this thread
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=6061561Airport with no ATMs, and where taxis don't take credit cards? Never happened to me, I did get a receipt once saying GBP but the transaction came through in local currency. Much more likely to get DCC imposed when paying for stuff, where there's a shop assistant/waiter/hotel receptionist pressing the buttons, than an ATM where you are.

But even if the worst happens it'll cost far far less than what happened to the OP in the thread I linked above. Getting cash sent in the post, and carrying loads of cash around especially through airport security where you are physically separated from it is far more risky than an unclear/dodgy ATM.
    I went to the shop down the road from work to get the cash, super easy! There's also one near my house.

I'd rather not search for an ATM at an airport. All i want to do when I get off a plane is get to the taxi and get to the hotel. I get the cash for ease.

At security I'm also separated from my passport and cards, so don't see your point there!

Some people just prefer cash, just because you don't it doesn't mean it's the wrong decision. As long as you don't carry more than the allowance you'll be fine.

Also I wanted a guaranteed exchange rate when the pound was higher than it had been in months. I didn't want the uncertainty of Brexit to affect my holiday. I was happy with the rate I got, even if the pound does go up a bit, that's even better because I will be using my card as well! Martin Lewis says split your money if you want some security.
    • zagfles
    • By zagfles 30th Oct 19, 11:41 AM
    • 14,782 Posts
    • 13,251 Thanks
    zagfles
    I went to the shop down the road from work to get the cash, super easy! There's also one near my house.
    Originally posted by Sharon87
    There used to be a decent one near me, but that's closed now and all that's left is the Post Office with their horrendous rates!
    I'd rather not search for an ATM at an airport. All i want to do when I get off a plane is get to the taxi and get to the hotel. I get the cash for ease.
    Fair enough. But ATMs rarely take any searching for. Usually there's one in the baggage collections area, so if you have baggae to collect you can get some while waiting, also usually some in the arrivals area.
    At security I'm also separated from my passport and cards, so don't see your point there!
    If you lose cash it's gone. Might be covered by travel insurance if lucky and within their limits, but you have to go through the hassle of claiming. If you lose cards just contact your bank to get them stopped. No loss.

If you have several cards, as any frequent traveller should, you can put one or two in another part of your baggage so you don't lose all of them.
    Some people just prefer cash, just because you don't it doesn't mean it's the wrong decision. As long as you don't carry more than the allowance you'll be fine.
    It's not a discussion using cash, it's a discussion about how to obtain the cash! I prefer using cash to pay for stuff in general, because it's easier to keep track of spending, and avoid dodgy retailers who impose DCC or charge the wrong amount. I'll use cards for big purchases like hotel bills but generally cash for smaller purchases.

Also I wanted a guaranteed exchange rate when the pound was higher than it had been in months. I didn't want the uncertainty of Brexit to affect my holiday. I was happy with the rate I got, even if the pound does go up a bit, that's even better because I will be using my card as well! Martin Lewis says split your money if you want some security.
    I look at it long term - overall you're better off concentrating on charges not the exchange rate. You can win or lose with exchange rate movements, you always lose with higher charges.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

263Posts Today

1,549Users online

Martin's Twitter