Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • byronwells
    • By byronwells 23rd Oct 19, 11:24 PM
    • 99Posts
    • 5Thanks
    byronwells
    I am sick of tired of paying Virgin Media Prices
    • 23rd Oct 19, 11:24 PM
    I am sick of tired of paying Virgin Media Prices 23rd Oct 19 at 11:24 PM
    Hi guys

I have been a loyal customer of Virgin Media for over 5 years straight with having M100 Fibre Broadband & Talk More Anytime package but now I am getting sick and tired of paying there prices.. I have just noticed that my discount for remaining a customer is coming to an end by the end of November and going back to 57.49 and I think that is way too much...

One of the reasons why I haven't really gone with anyone else is that most other internet providers wants you to have to a phone line up and running and then you can use them... Which in my own head would mean more cost pay, paying two companies, instead of just paying one... (Could be totally wrong)

Also we have got a sky tv package.. So not sure if I should use them..

In short I am in need of real help to get an affordable internet and phone
Page 2
    • littleboo
    • By littleboo 24th Oct 19, 2:03 PM
    • 689 Posts
    • 340 Thanks
    littleboo
    I can only strongly disagree based on my two experiences with Virgin Media, originally and after the house move we have had a separate line installed a coaxial cable I believe but far far superior to the copper wire other suse that was designed to carry voice only. (I can trace the cable to the green box) and the difference has been phenomenal both times. We have two kids who play online games that require solid and quick connection and me and the wife to be have often been streaming/playing online game sat the same time two with zero faults, skips, pauses or restrictions on band width. We have tried Sky, BT and Talk Talk in our time and after having an independent technician try and find a fault (at my own cost) it was explained to me the chocking point was the green box to the house.

I have no ties to Virgin Media but credit where credit is due my 3 years experience with them has been superb internet wise (customer service is a bit slow but i'd rather that then slow internet) and I could not recommend them highly enough for the fibre service.
    Originally posted by Astar1809
    Not sure of your point you said you get a dedicated fibre with Virgin,its a fact that most of Virgins network is a hybrid fibre/copper coax and not fibre to the the premises, that's the point I was making. You say yourself that it was co-ox in you experience.

In terms of technology, co-ax is better then twisted pair copper, but its also true that despite that , Virgin in some areas have failed to address street level congestion in their network which makes having superior technology rather pointless.
    • JJ Egan
    • By JJ Egan 24th Oct 19, 2:05 PM
    • 13,562 Posts
    • 6,222 Thanks
    JJ Egan
    Many packages are unlimited downloads .
    Speeds

Through BT OpenReach ISPs up to 38 52 and 76 meg / Up to depends upon the distance from the cabinet .
    BT OR Fibre to the premises 150 and 300 meg but hardly likely to be cheaper than VM where available .

AS said where to find is via Uswitch or the MSE BB checker .
    But depends upon what you mean by better ?? Cheaper is what many mean by better .
    • byronwells
    • By byronwells 24th Oct 19, 2:07 PM
    • 99 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    byronwells
    Does anyone know if they do credit checks or not??
    • bill888
    • By bill888 24th Oct 19, 4:00 PM
    • 156 Posts
    • 44 Thanks
    bill888
    Yes, the major ISPs like BT, Sky etc indeed do credit/fraud checks.

Do a google search for "do isp do credit checks" and it should return numerous articles and various policies of ISPs.

With regards to what broadband 'speed' you need for yourself and partner. If it is just for video chat, web browsing, windows/macOS computer updates, streaming video (eg. Sky, Youtube), I'd personally just opt for 36 mb FTTC/VDSL fibre if it is available as alternative to Virgin - it's faster than what you need but offers some future proofing.

I would recommend the guaranteed minimum fibre speed is at least 30 mb or more for your specific address (postcode & house number).

Don't forget about the hidden line installation charge as mentioned in my earlier reply. It could add extra 60 to the overall cost.
    Last edited by bill888; 24-10-2019 at 4:04 PM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

376Posts Today

2,347Users online

Martin's Twitter