Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • metrobus
    • By metrobus 3rd Sep 19, 4:34 PM
    • 1,526Posts
    • 778Thanks
    metrobus
    Iceland bonus card scam
    • 3rd Sep 19, 4:34 PM
    Iceland bonus card scam 3rd Sep 19 at 4:34 PM
    My 80 year old neighbour is housebound and relies on home delivery for her shopping.
    Last December she applied for a Iceland groceries bonus card and topped it up with £250 online,then within weeks the online shopping said bonus cards were being upgraded and were temporarily unavailable to use for online orders.
    It is now 8 months later and her money is still being held by Iceland with her not being able to spend it or withdraw it online.
    I phoned them for her and all they say is they are working on the website. Really ? 8 months later.
    They know full well 10000s of people have these cards,many old,I wonder how many will forget about their savings card or die before getting a chance to spend it.
    They still have "temporarily unavailable " on the website,which I find totally deceitful.
Page 1
    • POPPYOSCAR
    • By POPPYOSCAR 3rd Sep 19, 4:48 PM
    • 13,026 Posts
    • 29,133 Thanks
    POPPYOSCAR
    • 3rd Sep 19, 4:48 PM
    • 3rd Sep 19, 4:48 PM
    That is totally unacceptable.

I would have asked them to refund her money.

I do not trust these cards.

Not the same I know but my daughter received an email saying they had loaded £5 bonus on to her card to spend.

When she went to use it there was nothing on there and when she contacted Iceland they said they knew nothing about the email and the £5 bonus being added to her card. and there was nothing they could do.
    • jwil
    • By jwil 4th Sep 19, 7:50 AM
    • 11,266 Posts
    • 41,507 Thanks
    jwil
    • 4th Sep 19, 7:50 AM
    • 4th Sep 19, 7:50 AM
    Can you write to them for her and complain and ask for a refund? That is completely unacceptable.
    "If you can dream it, you can do it". Walt Disney
    • metrobus
    • By metrobus 4th Sep 19, 9:32 AM
    • 1,526 Posts
    • 778 Thanks
    metrobus
    • 4th Sep 19, 9:32 AM
    • 4th Sep 19, 9:32 AM
    Only this morning I have received an email from Iceland advertising the bonus card and why I should apply for one.

They are still actively seeking out new card members despite online shopping not accepting payment by funds you put on your card for the last 9 months.Website still stating cards temporarily not working 9 months later.

You could not make it up.This really needs investigation.
    Last edited by metrobus; 04-09-2019 at 9:35 AM.
    • Farway
    • By Farway 4th Sep 19, 9:39 AM
    • 7,830 Posts
    • 15,871 Thanks
    Farway
    • 4th Sep 19, 9:39 AM
    • 4th Sep 19, 9:39 AM

Not the same I know but my daughter received an email saying they had loaded £5 bonus on to her card to spend.

When she went to use it there was nothing on there and when she contacted Iceland they said they knew nothing about the email and the £5 bonus being added to her card. and there was nothing they could do.
    Originally posted by POPPYOSCAR
    I had similar offer, but it was linked to spending £XX in the store over 4 weeks I think.

If not enough spent the £5 vanished, it was conditional and this was plain on the e mail

I was not aware the card is not working on line as I only use it in store, top up £20, get a quid added, works for me
    • Vegastare
    • By Vegastare 4th Sep 19, 9:45 AM
    • 305 Posts
    • 891 Thanks
    Vegastare
    • 4th Sep 19, 9:45 AM
    • 4th Sep 19, 9:45 AM
    e mail malcolm.walker@iceland.co.uk
    • General Grant
    • By General Grant 5th Sep 19, 6:24 PM
    • 1,266 Posts
    • 1,155 Thanks
    General Grant
    • 5th Sep 19, 6:24 PM
    • 5th Sep 19, 6:24 PM
    I had similar offer, but it was linked to spending £XX in the store over 4 weeks I think.

If not enough spent the £5 vanished, it was conditional and this was plain on the e mail

I was not aware the card is not working on line as I only use it in store, top up £20, get a quid added, works for me
    Originally posted by Farway
    I too received a conditional spend offer by email. This was within the last month. As I spent to build to the total, they emailed to say how much more (little) I had to spend. What was offered was a choice of 3 different dessert type frozen products.

At the end of the promotion, when I achieved the total spend necessary (it was not "in one shop" type), they emailed saying the offer had been loaded to the card which could be redeemed after my next spend when a voucher would be printed. There was also a time window in which to claim.

So I went instore, found the promotional item I wanted and one other thing. I said to the till operator that the item should be free but I was not sure whether it needed to go through as a separate transaction. Till operator was clueless and she tried putting both items through but the "free" item would have been charged for. So I said to remove it and paid for the one item - and the machine produced a coupon for the free item. Till operator gave me the voucher and took the free item from me. I had to be quite assertive in saying that I then wanted her to put the free item through again so that she could use the coupon. She argued but gave in (a queue was longer than it should be) - and I walked out with my free item.

Iceland obviously don't keep their staff informed of promotions.
    • metrobus
    • By metrobus 5th Sep 19, 8:13 PM
    • 1,526 Posts
    • 778 Thanks
    metrobus
    • 5th Sep 19, 8:13 PM
    • 5th Sep 19, 8:13 PM
    I too received a conditional spend offer by email. This was within the last month. As I spent to build to the total, they emailed to say how much more (little) I had to spend. What was offered was a choice of 3 different dessert type frozen products.

At the end of the promotion, when I achieved the total spend necessary (it was not "in one shop" type), they emailed saying the offer had been loaded to the card which could be redeemed after my next spend when a voucher would be printed. There was also a time window in which to claim.

So I went instore, found the promotional item I wanted and one other thing. I said to the till operator that the item should be free but I was not sure whether it needed to go through as a separate transaction. Till operator was clueless and she tried putting both items through but the "free" item would have been charged for. So I said to remove it and paid for the one item - and the machine produced a coupon for the free item. Till operator gave me the voucher and took the free item from me. I had to be quite assertive in saying that I then wanted her to put the free item through again so that she could use the coupon. She argued but gave in (a queue was longer than it should be) - and I walked out with my free item.

Iceland obviously don't keep their staff informed of promotions.
    Originally posted by General Grant
    A lot of work and time for something you did not need and would not have bought anyway.
    • Vegastare
    • By Vegastare 5th Sep 19, 8:18 PM
    • 305 Posts
    • 891 Thanks
    Vegastare
    • 5th Sep 19, 8:18 PM
    • 5th Sep 19, 8:18 PM
    No where is worse for updating staff than Morrisons...asked for postage stamps so bought pack 12 at till, lady opened till to find none asked next till and was told they no longer have stamps in till, yesterday I forgot to scan points card and told that customer services can no longer but them on your card after, I then went for petrol and told lady what had happened rubbish she said and promptly rang through to store and I was told to go back to customer services with shopping receipt....to be honest for the small amount of shopping I could not be bothered, but seems left hand doesn't know what right hand is doing
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

279Posts Today

1,679Users online

Martin's Twitter