Help, heating confusion!

Comments

• Hi all - this is amazing - thank you so much for all your ongoing advice....

Freebear - thats really useful intel about both, the price of pellets and in terms of storage...clearly have underestimated the amount of space I would need. Guess that means multi-fuel of any sort is out for me which leaves me with electric...the property already has double glazing so will check the loft re insulation to try and limit the amouunt that is lost...although I have also read that you need to let these old places ‘breathe’ but not over-sealing them?

FrugalMacdugal - thanks very for the name of the heater for the bathroom. The one in the bedroom is way too wide to fit in there so this size would be ideal. The same storage heater is already in the sitting room so the bedroom one would be wasted if I took it out, which seems a shame and I’d hate to chuck something that still works...so maybe I should live with it - and maybe keeping leaving it on the lowest setting during the day - even if i am not in the room - would mean the house isn’t constantly going back to zero before starting to reheat again from scratch...wdyt?

EnerdyRookie - thanks v much for your thoughts - yes I think you’re right about reading on the internet - so much contradictory info that you can go a bit loopy...and much of it just personal opinions. I have no reason to think the current heating was problematic for the elderly lady who lived there (newish storage heaters, newish double glazing and newish carpets by looks of it) it’s just that lots of places say electric is super expensive (and I’ve no idea if the £100 per month the last owner paid for electric in total (lighting, heating and hot water) was from her using it a lot all day every day, or being frugal....plus am keen to be as eco-friendly as I can afford...

Coffeehound - thank you! it’s really reassuring to know these are decent storage heaters - same with silver coloured immersion tank....I had no idea about this sort of thing (I fear I know nothing! :eek:)

— thank you all again! without sounding melodramatic, it is pretty daunting / scary doing all this on my own so it’s so lovely to get support, especially from strangers — which always restores faith in the human race :j
  • Hi jko, thanks v much for this - am probably being very slow here :embarasse — but do you mean there’s a top-up heat setting on these storage heaters?
  • jk0
    jk0 Posts: 3,479 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 2 September 2019 at 8:21PM
    Eyes1000 wrote: »
    Hi jko, thanks v much for this - am probably being very slow here :embarasse — but do you mean there’s a top-up heat setting on these storage heaters?

Yeah. The duoheat has two leads. One is energised overnight, and is connected to elements inside the bricks. The other goes to a thin panel heater on the front of the heater. Switch off the overnight circuit, and the thing will just act as a panel heater.

FTA: You could even leave the night heater on very low to kick in when it's very cold.
  • Hi,

I was thinking if you were removing heater from bedroom you could get it fitted in living room to supplement existing heater, seems a pity to just dump it.
  • Hi Frugalmacdugal - oh I see, you mean have two storage heaters in the sitting room. Yes that would be a good idea but the sitting room (whole house) is small, with currenrly only two walls where you could put anything against it (sideboard/sofa) and from what I understand, you need more distance around a storage heater than a usual radiator so should really have things in front of it...(I think!)
  • Aha, thanks jk0! That’s really useful to know, brilliant (and of course, ‘duo’ heat :o
    - and when you say I could even leave the night heater on v low, would that affect the input charge it’s getting overnight?
  • And out of interest, does anyone have any experience with the new-ish electric combi boilers? I will keep the immersion tank and most of what’s there for this winter, as you all quite rightly suggest, to see the lie of the land but I had wondered about one of these as a possible alternative to immersion....purely because it heats what you need - rather then a whole tank (most of which will go cold on the days I am not in) - but as the technology seems new am not sure if there are good or not..
  • jk0
    Aha, thanks jk0! That’s really useful to know, brilliant (and of course, ‘duo’ heat :o
    - and when you say I could even leave the night heater on v low, would that affect the input charge it’s getting overnight?

The overnight charge is what I suggested leaving on low. There is jumper to remove inside the heater that will allow the direct heater to continue for a few hours after the night heater starts charging.
  • jk0
    And out of interest, does anyone have any experience with the new-ish electric combi boilers? I will keep the immersion tank and most of what’s there for this winter, as you all quite rightly suggest, to see the lie of the land but I had wondered about one of these as a possible alternative to immersion....purely because it heats what you need - rather then a whole tank (most of which will go cold on the days I am not in) - but as the technology seems new am not sure if there are good or not..

You don't want an electric combi. You'll have to run it on full price electricity. Stick to what you have, IIWY.
  • Thanks v much jk0 ! Fantastically helpful ��
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport