Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    Former MSE Lee
    Money Moral Dilemma: Should I pay the window cleaner?
    • 9th Jul 10, 3:59 PM
    Money Moral Dilemma: Should I pay the window cleaner? 9th Jul 10 at 3:59 PM
    This is a real life MMD so please bear in mind the MoneySaver in question will read your responses:

Please give this MoneySaver the benefit of your advice...

Should I pay the window cleaner?

On my street a few houses have the letter "A" after the number. I don't get my windows cleaned but my neighbour does and I often come home to find a note saying mine have been done. When the window cleaner comes to collect his fee he gets annoyed if I won't pay him - yet I've never asked him to clean the windows. Should I start paying or keep refusing?

Click reply to have your say

Previous MMDs: View All

This Forum Tip was included in MoneySavingExpert's weekly email

Don't miss out on new deals, loopholes, and vouchers

Last edited by Former MSE Wendy; 13-07-2010 at 7:34 PM.
Page 3
    • Cleany
    • By Cleany 14th Jul 10, 10:33 AM
    • 128 Posts
    • 43 Thanks
    Cleany
    say 2 things.

"nope"

then

"goodbye"
  • chog24
    Don't pay the window cleaner
    If you have not asked for your windows to be cleaned, it's not your fault if the window cleaner doesn't take notice of the As and Bs of the houses.

I'd expect that if you tell someone that you're not going to pay because you don't want your windows cleaned the first time, then they should know not to clean them next time. If he carries on cleaning them, then on his head be it.
    • joannie
    • By joannie 14th Jul 10, 10:40 AM
    • 45 Posts
    • 51 Thanks
    joannie
    Window Cleaner
    If you didn't ask him to do your windows then you are not obliged to pay him.
    • Primrose
    • By Primrose 14th Jul 10, 10:46 AM
    • 9,113 Posts
    • 33,097 Thanks
    Primrose
    No, don't pay him. He cleaned your windows on a unsolicited basis so there was no contract between you. If this problem happens regularly, put a note inside your front door windows, so that it can be read from the outside, to the effect that "No Window Cleaning service is required at this house"..
  • robynprincess
    if het gets confused which house is which, why not leave a note out on one window saying no window cleaning pease? I wuldnt be paying him either
    • jenniewb
    • By jenniewb 14th Jul 10, 11:08 AM
    • 12,596 Posts
    • 11,774 Thanks
    jenniewb
    If you have told him before that you don't want your windows cleaned and have warned him at least once before, I'd say no. If he carried on after being warned he sounds like he is having you on.

If you however let it go time and time again and just paid up with no mention, no warning, then you really need to have a word with him and explain you will not be paying from here onwards but pay for any work done as you had done before.
  • nannienorms
    Of course you should
    Although you haven't asked the window cleaner not to clean your windows, you have still received the benefit. Surely the answer would be to tell him you don't want them done, and if he persists you could then refuse to pay him on the grounds he hasn't followed your instructions.
    • kattybunny
    • By kattybunny 14th Jul 10, 11:35 AM
    • 184 Posts
    • 253 Thanks
    kattybunny
    NO !!!
    It sounds like he's peering you into getting his services.
    Leave a note where he left you one saying that you don't want and never requested for your windows to be cleaned and will nto pay if this happens again.
    If he was so bothered , he wouldn't of forgot that he did the same mistake as last time.
    He sounds like he's done this sort of thing before if you ask me
    There are 10 types of people in this world. Those that understand binary and those that don't
  • emmamc1976
    definately not, is mistake not yours! He'll soon stop doing it when he realises it's a waste of his time and money.
    • jdbigguy
    • By jdbigguy 14th Jul 10, 11:58 AM
    • 6 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    jdbigguy
    Window cleaning chancer
    You have told him repeatedly not to clean your windows. He is either thick or a chancer. Don't pay him. If he continues to bother you and is getting aggressive call the police.
    • Mouseboy007
    • By Mouseboy007 14th Jul 10, 12:09 PM
    • 12 Posts
    • 28 Thanks
    Mouseboy007
    3 steps to happiness
    Do the following:

1) Get pen and paper
    2) Write down the webpage address for this forum link.
    3) When he turns up again, hand the peice of paper to him and close the door.

P.S. You could add the number of your local police station as step 4, just to drive home the point.

P.P.S. Step 5, keep an eye out for his van. When you see him park up, before he gets the opportunity to jump out the car, run down with a wet sponge and wipe his windscreen and put your hand out charging 5
  • bennett2kuk
    Legally if you haven't entered into a contract with him to clean your windows you are not legally obliged to pay. We have windows that open fully inwards upstairs and we can reach the downstairs ones easily so I've never had the need to have them cleaned. If somebody did it and wanted paying I'd tell them exactly where to get off.
  • Desperate Housewife 1
    I would have told the window cleaner the first time that I had never asked for a clean and that I didn't want them done and was therefore not going to pay.
    But it seems that you have continued to keep letting him clean your windows and you have not made it clear that you do not want them done and therefore you should pay. After all, it's not fair to expect a free clean each month and surely on the note he leaves, there must be telephone number.
    I think you are lucky to have a reliable, regular window cleaner. The first clean was obviously a mistake on his part and I am sure that the first time he would not have minded if you didn't pay but to not make it clear that you didn't want them cleaned anymore is your own fault.
  • Desperate Housewife 1
    So he is an idiot because he cleaned the wrong windows! If you have a large successful windowing cleaning business then these things happen sometimes...... This woman has continuously allowed her windows to be cleaned and should have made it clear straight away she didn't want them cleaned again. I think she wants them cleaned for nothing!
    • ashleypride
    • By ashleypride 14th Jul 10, 12:35 PM
    • 610 Posts
    • 690 Thanks
    ashleypride
    I would have told the window cleaner the first time that I had never asked for a clean and that I didn't want them done and was therefore not going to pay.
    But it seems that you have continued to keep letting him clean your windows and you have not made it clear that you do not want them done and therefore you should pay. After all, it's not fair to expect a free clean each month and surely on the note he leaves, there must be telephone number.
    Originally posted by Desperate Housewife 1
    It's not fair to expect a free clean, but she doesn't expect that. She expects to be let alone, and for the neighbour and cleaner to resolve the issue. If somebody wants to clean my windows for free, good on them, I'm under no obligation to call the cleaner to sort it out.
    • WhyIsSavingSoHard
    • By WhyIsSavingSoHard 14th Jul 10, 12:35 PM
    • 60 Posts
    • 68 Thanks
    WhyIsSavingSoHard
    Desperate Housewife 1 has a point, you needed to be firm from the start. But you were't and that's why we have the dilemma. I'm wondering why is he cleans your windows continually knowing he's not been getting paid? He's a mug. If you have morals and don't want to be part of it again you have to face him and say "I have never asked you to clean my windows, so you're not getting paid", then you really need to be firm and tell it straight. Even down to typing a short note saying that you do not and never have needed a cleaner . Make sure you have two copies that you both sign and that your address is on it. Once you've done that (or by this week-end) make your house number clearly visible to avoid confusion in the future.
    I'm not supposed to be normal, I'm supposed to be me
    Quidco cash back since May 2010 ~ more than 83.13
    Must remember to use it more, but every little helps
  • holdenismine
    No, don't pay him. If it's the same person who cleans the windows he probably already knows that you've never asked for youe windows to be cleaned, and might even just keep cleaning them in the hope that you'll start paying him. Definitely don't pay and tell him to stop cleaning your windows because you are not going to pay him. It can't be that he keeps accidently cleaning your windows, the first time may have been a mistake, but if it keeps on happening this person is just trying to guilt/force you into paying for a service you've never requested and don't want.
  • cazzjazz
    should I pay the window cleaner
    No, no, no you shouldn`t. He`s trying it on.
  • The Rock-man
    Seems everyone missed my post: The window cleaner breaking the law if he demands payment under "The Unsolicited Goods and Services Act 1971". In simple terms it states that if anyone wants to charge for goods or services there needs to be an agreement made before goods are delivered or work starts.
    • MTDancer
    • By MTDancer 14th Jul 10, 1:11 PM
    • 237 Posts
    • 138 Thanks
    MTDancer
    No
    You did not request it, so no
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

304Posts Today

2,914Users online

Martin's Twitter