The Edcawber Principle

Comments

• Goldiegirl
    Goldiegirl Posts: 8,805 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler Hung up my suit!
    Sorry to hear hear about Mrs E's gran, although it sounds like it was a release and peaceful

I expect you are watching Scotland v England. Scotland has already won the anthem singing. Although I like 'God Save the Queen' for British occasions, I wish England had a song to stir the blood for English situations.
    Early retired - 18th December 2014
    If your dreams don't scare you, they're not big enough
  • rtandon27
    rtandon27 Posts: 4,530 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Sorry to hear your sad news Ed. Lovely to hear she was surrounded by her loved ones.
    4 YEARS 10 MONTHS DEBT FREE!!! (24 OCT 2016)
    (With heartfelt thanks to those who have gone before us & their indubitable generosity.)
    ...and now I have a mortgage! (23 AUG 2021)
    17 YEARS 4 MONTHS LEFT OF 20 YEARS
  • edinburgher
    edinburgher Posts: 13,458 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Goldiegirl wrote: »
    I expect you are watching Scotland v England. Scotland has already won the anthem singing. Although I like 'God Save the Queen' for British occasions, I wish England had a song to stir the blood for English situations.

I was there :j
  • And as an 'older person', I'd say that the nights out in swanky bars and restaurants don't matter. The fact that you will be able to tell your grandchildren that 'you were there' when Scotland famously thrashed the English in 2018, at Murrayfield, and lifted the Calcutta cup........ well, that's investing in a life well-lived isn't it? And making memories :D

I rest my case. Very, very well-played Scotland - the team had the upper hand in the match from the get-go. England were trounced. And you, Ed were there ;):T I hope the blue feelings of a month ago, have well and truly been banished, with this wonderful, sporting victory :T

Greying X
    Pounds for Panes £2,590/£10,000 - start date Dec 2023

Coins for Camping (April) -  £7/£15  (Camping TTD - £60/90)

Grocery spend April £176.38/215
    Non-food household spend April £25.94/25
    Bulk Fund April 0/£10

Knitted items for charity 1/24 (inc. Blankets 1/6)
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,179 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Was an awesome victory.
    The atmosphere must have been awesome.
    The Burgh will be just buzzing.
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • AlexLK
    AlexLK Posts: 6,125 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Yes, money is a tool, I want to make sure my only child has enough of it to 'launch' when it's time :)

I think this is such a good way of thinking about money and how to help our children :). I now don't think it's particularly healthy to provide so much your children have no need to work. However, I think being able to help our children to launch their own lives is important.

Not so long ago I believed the way forward was to provide my son when older with an allowance which would cover all the basics so he did not need to work to avoid giving large amounts of money he could waste. Now I wish to encourage him to look after himself a little more.
    2018 totals:
    Savings £11,200
    Mortgage Overpayments £5,500
  • edinburgher
    edinburgher Posts: 13,458 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    The way I see it Alex, we should be able to provide enough so that she gets one very lucky break, an opportunity to avoid having to pay for something significant (like an education, a deposit for her own home, or a round the world adventure). While I'm optimistic about the future, I do think that each generation has it just a little bit harder because of inflation and whatnot. So we'd like to provide a meaningful degree of assistance, like yourself.

£110 paid off a CC (Mrs E's uncle paid for his rugby ticket). Also submitted a FIT reading for our solar panels, but as we're just coming out of the dismal quarter, it'll only be £30 or so :(
  • ZTD
    ZTD Posts: 24,327 Forumite
    While I'm optimistic about the future, I do think that each generation has it just a little bit harder because of inflation and whatnot.

Every generation *should* have it far easier than the previous one because of the increasing stock of Capital.
    £110 paid off a CC (Mrs E's uncle paid for his rugby ticket). Also submitted a FIT reading for our solar panels, but as we're just coming out of the dismal quarter, it'll only be £30 or so :(

If you lived in Spain - "sunlight" would be far more predictable... :rotfl:
    "Follow the money!" - Deepthroat (AKA William Mark Felt Sr - Associate Director of the FBI)
    "We were born and raised in a summer haze." Adele 'Someone like you.'
    "Blowing your mind, 'cause you know what you'll find, when you're looking for things in the sky."
    OMD 'Julia's Song'
  • AlexLK wrote: »
    I think this is such a good way of thinking about money and how to help our children :). I now don't think it's particularly healthy to provide so much your children have no need to work. However, I think being able to help our children to launch their own lives is important.

Not so long ago I believed the way forward was to provide my son when older with an allowance which would cover all the basics so he did not need to work to avoid giving large amounts of money he could waste. Now I wish to encourage him to look after himself a little more.
    The way I see it Alex, we should be able to provide enough so that she gets one very lucky break, an opportunity to avoid having to pay for something significant (like an education, a deposit for her own home, or a round the world adventure). While I'm optimistic about the future, I do think that each generation has it just a little bit harder because of inflation and whatnot. So we'd like to provide a meaningful degree of assistance, like yourself.

This is a really interesting debate. Alas, if I continue to earn as little as I currently do it's unlikely to be a debate I will have to have for any little 'uns I bring into the world, but I've watched some rich famous people be asked this question on TV as well and I think I have come to the conclusion that the single biggest mistake a parent can make is to not allow their child to develop a sense of purpose, whatever that may be...a child may not know what they want to do/be when they are older, but in having to earn a living of some description while they figure it out is an important part of the process. Most of the children of famous people who become trainwrecks (drug addicts etc.) just don't have a sense of purpose: they don't need to earn a living as mum and dad give them lots of money and they live in the shadow of people who are richer/more famous etc than they probably think they can ever be, so why try?

I hope that should I ever have children, I am wise enough to remember this. :idea:

P.S. £30 is £30, Ed - don't knock it! :p
    Debt: £11,640.02 paid in full! DFD: 30/06/20
    Starter Emergency Fund (#187): £1000/£1000
    3 month Emergency Fund (#45): £3300/£3300
  • AlexLK
    AlexLK Posts: 6,125 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Ed: collectively, I'm not sure about each generation having a harder time. Historically much of the population lived in much worse conditions than could be contemplated today.

PositiveBalance: In my experience it is difficult to have a 'purpose' when not required and disheartening to know the previous generation did much better than the present. Perhaps says more about me than anyone else, though. :o
    2018 totals:
    Savings £11,200
    Mortgage Overpayments £5,500
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family