Sky TV retention deals ( post your haggling successes )

Comments

• Terry98
    Terry98 Posts: 1,155 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    You look like you have a good deal on the line rental/fibre but are they allowed to offer you different contract lengths in view of this ruling in 2016 https://www.broadbandchoices.co.uk/guides/broadband/asa-broadband-pricing ?

I have been offered £11 for Entertainment but £14.50 for all Sports channels but I left a couple of months ago.I would have thought they could improve the Entertainment price for you but you might have to threaten cancellation.
  • stuartmck
    stuartmck Posts: 260 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Sky TV turned off yesterday.

Live chat offered:
    Line rental, Fibre Unlimited, Entertainment & HD for £33.40 a month on a 12 month contract.
    Grabbed it.
    In need of a new signature! :rotfl:
  • My standard Sky broadband unlimited is OK but am considering moving to fibre when I haggle next month.
    Is Sky Fibre unlimited any good ?
  • STPE
    STPE Posts: 1 Newbie
    I think I'm paying through the nose for my Virgin bundle of TV, Broadband, landline and Tivo box. My question is, does anyone know what happens when you switch providers? Does the TV box go and if not, does it still work with another provider?
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 5,186 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    My standard Sky broadband unlimited is OK but am considering moving to fibre when I haggle next month.
    Is Sky Fibre unlimited any good ?

Depends on your definition of "good". As long as it works and you're fairly near to a cabinet all fibre should be the same barring customer service perhaps and of course price. Sky don't seem to be particularly bothered about retaining current customers at the moment for some reason. NowTV, despite being owned by Sky, will treat you as a new customer and they have their £20 a month deal on again, you also receive the re-badged Sky Q router which although only having 2 LAN ports (not a problem for the majority I'd have thought) is pretty decent.
  • brewerdave
    brewerdave Posts: 8,505 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    STPE wrote: »
    I think I'm paying through the nose for my Virgin bundle of TV, Broadband, landline and Tivo box. My question is, does anyone know what happens when you switch providers? Does the TV box go and if not, does it still work with another provider?
    Virgin are the only ones who can use their cable system. If you switch ,you will have to go with one of the providers who use BT's infrastructure for broadband and phone.

You can get TV either thru these providers (a mixture of Freeview via an aerial and streamed stuff) or go with Sky via Dish.
    Virgin will want all their equipment back ie Tivo box and cable modem/router.
    Your best bet is to try to haggle with Virgin to get a better deal under the threat of cancellation.
  • shaggy
    shaggy Posts: 1,030 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    In this day and age I would think sky would at least try and be a bit more competitive with Netflix and amazon prime. Viewing habits have changed and since cancelling sky in April I've not missed it at all. I find a combination o d amazon and Netflix will give u all the TV and movies you're likely to want - sky movies these days is rubbish and better stuff on Netflix and amazon anyway.

The only things I miss from sky are the odd sports and westworld / game of thrones. That's the obky thing keeping them from going under in my opinion
  • Dan_chez
    Dan_chez Posts: 5 Forumite
    Hi all,

I've not haggled at all with my deal so I'm thinking it may not be too good? I left sky within the last 12 months but now moved house pretty much rushed into this over the phone...

Fibre max broadband
    Entertainment
    HD
    Sky Sports HD
    Sky Q UHD box
    1 mini box
    Box sets
    Phone line
    £82 per month for 18 months. Still in my cooling off period so having second thoughts atm.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 5,186 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 30 July 2018 at 7:17PM
    Dan_chez wrote: »
    Fibre max broadband
    Entertainment
    HD
    Sky Sports HD
    Sky Q UHD box
    1 mini box
    Box sets
    Phone line
    £82 per month for 18 months. Still in my cooling off period so having second thoughts atm.

Isn't that pretty much full price?

Edit: It's £94 for new customers for that lot so they've not knocked much off.
  • ccdorset
    ccdorset Posts: 295 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    I left Sky in December last year and have been looking at subscribing again. They are currently offering me via Live Chat and in My Account:

£15 Entertainment
    £1 HD
    £1 Box Sets
    £11 Sky Cinema
    TOTAL £28 per month

This is on a 12 month contract on Entertainment. 31 day rolling on the other elements.

Not sure whether I could push for anything better, or whether this is the best I am going to get.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback