Car released from garage without authority

Comments

• Mercdriver
    Mercdriver Posts: 3,898 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    The TWOC would come in the UK when he removed the car from the dealer.

You can steal your own car from a garage.

But what if he just said that the OP had told him to collect the car? Then it becomes he says he said. The fact that he had stayed with the OP on two occasions would muddy the waters too.
  • AndyMc.....
    AndyMc..... Posts: 3,248 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Mercdriver wrote: »
    But what if he just said that the OP had told him to collect the car? Then it becomes he says he said. The fact that he had stayed with the OP on two occasions would muddy the waters too.

So anyone staying at your home has free access to your car, meaning they take it and get stopped by the police you're happy to be done for permitting no insurance?
  • Mercdriver
    Mercdriver Posts: 3,898 Forumite
    So anyone staying at your home has free access to your car, meaning they take it and get stopped by the police you're happy to be done for permitting no insurance?

This not the same thing. He can argue that he has a verbal contract to pick up the car on the transporter. No driving without insurance involved as he's not driving the car.
  • AndyMc.....
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Mercdriver wrote: »
    This not the same thing. He can argue that he has a verbal contract to pick up the car on the transporter. No driving without insurance involved as he's not driving the car.

It is, it may be a shock to you but criminal lie to the police. You don't know what he's done with the car but if he's sold it on or it's not recovered you're looking at theft.
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    It is, it may be a shock to you but criminal lie to the police.
    Sure, but he's got documentary evidence of previous similar contractual arrangements.
  • AndyMc.....
    Combo Breaker First Post
    AdrianC wrote: »
    Sure, but he's got documentary evidence of previous similar contractual arrangements.

So what's his honest explanation for removing the car and not returning it to the owner?
  • seashore22
    seashore22 Posts: 1,443 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    neilmcl wrote: »
    At best we're not getting the full true story here, at worst it's complete fantasy. I think the OP needs to be more upfront here and explain exactly what's transpired.

I'm eagerly awaiting the day when someone actually admits that they've made up the whole thing.

In all my years on the internet I've never seen that happen. Now that would be a thread worth reading. One day maybe.
  • photome
    photome Posts: 16,360 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Bake Off Boss!
    So what's his honest explanation for removing the car and not returning it to the owner?
    The Op hasn’t asked him
  • Ectophile
    Ectophile Posts: 7,323 Forumite

He was collecting it from the garage, and delivering it to a dealer in the UK to be repaired.

Or have I completely misunderstood the very confusing story?
    If it sticks, force it.
    If it breaks, well it wasn't working right anyway.
  • AndyMc.....
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Ectophile wrote: »
    He was collecting it from the garage, and delivering it to a dealer in the UK to be repaired.

Or have I completely misunderstood the very confusing story?

He's taken the car from the dealer.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport