First time buyer - looking for advice

Hey everyone,

In the next few months i will be looking to hopefully buy my first house, i'm in a rather fortunate position that i have a pretty large deposit, which is handy as im looking to buy in London.

I dont really have a clue what im doing though, im not sure of the best way to go about getting a mortgage. Does anyone recommend using a mortgage broker? if so which one? Or is it best to just use mortgage tools like the ones available on MSE? Or, do you get better deals going direct to the bank?

Cheers,

Comments

• jaelato1
    jaelato1 Posts: 139 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I will advice to go to a Mortgage broker, you get better rate most of the time with lenders using MB also you cant apply directly to some lenders without MB. Find a good local one and good luck......and also look at all your credit history with all the 3 credit agencies (Noddle, clearscore and Experian using MSE credit club)
  • jonnygee2
    jonnygee2 Posts: 2,086 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    "I dont really have a clue what im doing though, im not sure of the best way to go about getting a mortgage."

Go to a broker! Now! A mortgage broker makes getting a good deal MUCH easier - an invaluable resource. If you understand the market well it can sometimes be okay to look around yourself, but you'd be very unlikely to get a better deal. As you don't know anything just go straight to a broker.

Which broker? Look for someone fee-free. A friend recently used Trussle.com and had a very good experience, so could start there especially if your house and situation are fairly standard. If you are self employed or there's some other special factors, try to find a broker that deals with your specific situation.
  • Ok, thanks - I was leaning towards a broker, just seems a lot easier for a newbie like myself.

Ive been doing research on Trussle, L&C and Habito. I will also look for good local brokers near Walthamstow, which is the area I want to buy in, see how much they charge.

As for my credit score its pretty solid - I didn't know about the MSE credit club though, I'll check that out.

Thanks
  • Something i never thought about

I need to leave my current flat where i have been living for over 3 years (me and my girlfriend split) so i need to move as im not paying £1400 a month on my own.

Anyway, as im moving, will this effect my credit score when applying for a mortgage? Im moving borough and need to register for the electoral roll in a new borough. Im not sure if i should wait a few months to apply for a mortgage, perhaps wait until i show on the electoral roll in my new flat.

Thoughts?
  • foxy-stoat
    foxy-stoat Posts: 6,879 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    ForzaFifer wrote: »
    Something i never thought about

I need to leave my current flat where i have been living for over 3 years (me and my girlfriend split) so i need to move as im not paying £1400 a month on my own.

Anyway, as im moving, will this effect my credit score when applying for a mortgage? Im moving borough and need to register for the electoral roll in a new borough. Im not sure if i should wait a few months to apply for a mortgage, perhaps wait until i show on the electoral roll in my new flat.

Thoughts?

It may well effect the credit score that you refer to but fear not, the lender doesnt see your credit score so it will make little difference if it is 300 or 700.
  • M2808
    M2808 Posts: 61 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    I have just had a mortgage offer accepted even though I moved in with my parents and changed electoral roll address in a different county
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure