PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Someone else's address

My brother used my mother's address to get his mortgage although he has never lived there and did it without permission. Is this legal and can my mother get into trouble?

Comments

• PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Your mother cannot get into trouble.

It is possible that he did it to hide something bad from the lender, so they wouldn't discover a bad credit rating, or a big debt - in which case, if discovered, he'd be harming his own future lending potential.

No worries for your mother though if she didn't know, or didn't know what he was using it for.
  • More info needed,

Documents sent there or raised a mortgage on the property address?

Has mother been coerced into signing anything?
    in S 38 T 2 F 50
    out S 36 T 9 F 24 FF 4

2017-32 2018 -33 2019 -21 2020 -5 2021 -4 2022
  • sal_III
    sal_III Posts: 1,953 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    It's not uncommon for children that rent and move often, to keep their parent's address for bank statements etc. since this forms part of their credit file, it's normal to give this address when applying for mortgage.

was that the case?
  • He only started using my mother's address after he got divorced he lives with his girlfriend but doesn't use her address and has never lived at my mother's address.
  • So presumably your mum keeps the post for him and gives it to him when she see's him.

She may not have given "permission" for him to use the address but it seems like she doesn't mind that much else she would return the items received as "not at this address"

Not sure why you think she may get into trouble although if I were a betting person I would say your brother doesn't live with his girlfriend officially so she can claim some benefit or other as a single person.

No doubt bits will be drip fed to the thread at a later stage....
    in S 38 T 2 F 50
    out S 36 T 9 F 24 FF 4

2017-32 2018 -33 2019 -21 2020 -5 2021 -4 2022
  • Is it legal or fraudulent?
  • GrumpyDil
    GrumpyDil Posts: 1,620 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    If*s fraudulent if he is using it to commit fraud!
  • worried_jim
    worried_jim Posts: 11,631 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Jrowe wrote: »
    Is it legal or fraudulent?

Yep, sounds like it. Lied about adddress history to get a product, not too many legitimate reasons to do this. What do you intend to do?
  • theartfullodger
    theartfullodger Posts: 14,588 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Yup, fraud:

He may find (unlikely...) that his mortgage is recalled/ his property repossessed, and that he finds he's on a mortgage/loan blacklist and finds it (almost..) impossible to get a loan/mortgage, certainly at normal rates.

Which bit of "If you fraudulently apply for a loan things may go bad for you" didn't he understand, please?
  • parkrunner
    parkrunner Posts: 2,610 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Could cause problems if your mother has been receiving benefits or single occupancy council tax reduction. DWP or council may say he has been living there.
    It's nothing , not nothink.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport