Leaving the UK after 7 years - State Pension

Comments

• p00hsticks
    p00hsticks Posts: 12,765 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    You need a minimum of 10 years in the current UK system to get anything.

Except, as thickasabrick points out above, the OP has will have some years prior to the new State Penson being introduced on 6/4/16.

This raises an interesting point for people in the OP's situation because as far as I recall only one year was required under the old rules in order to get some pension.

My understanding is that at the point of transition everyone's situation was calculating under both old and new rules, and your 'starting amount' was taken to be the higher of the two values so that (to paraphrase) 'no one would be worse off as a result of the change'.

With less than ten years, the OP would be entitled to nothing under the new rules, but would have a non-zero starting amount under the old rules.

What I'm unclear of is whether this non-zero starting amount is then wiped out if they do not build up further years under the new rules ?

I think we've established in previous threads that it appears that currently the state pension forecast system doesn't work for people with less than ten NI years, so it's difficult for the OP to look.
  • p00hsticks wrote: »

What I'm unclear of is whether this non-zero starting amount is then wiped out if they do not build up further years under the new rules ?

I think we've established in previous threads that it appears that currently the state pension forecast system doesn't work for people with less than ten NI years, so it's difficult for the OP to look.

Unfortunately it does look as if the non-zero starting amount is wiped out if they have less than 10 years NI contributions.

The basic State pension (old style State pension):
    https://www.gov.uk/state-pension/eligibility
    You’re eligible for the basic State Pension if you were born before:

6 April 1951 if you’re a man
    6 April 1953 if you’re a woman
    If you were born on or after these dates you must claim the new State Pension.

Whereas the new State pension:
    https://www.gov.uk/new-state-pension
    You’ll usually need at least 10 qualifying years on your National Insurance record to get any State Pension. They do not have to be 10 qualifying years in a row.
  • you can voluntarily pay for 3 more years to close the gap.
  • p00hsticks
    p00hsticks Posts: 12,765 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary

Whereas the new State pension:
    https://www.gov.uk/new-state-pension

You’ll usually need at least 10 qualifying years on your National Insurance record to get any State Pension.

The use of the word 'usually' would suggest that there are circumstances where 10 years aren't needed - shame they don't elucidate on what these might b.
  • greenglide
    greenglide Posts: 3,301 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Hung up my suit!
    The main exception is when you have contributions in a foreign scheme which can count towards the minimum of 10 years to get anything.

The 10 year rule is an absolute cliff-edge though, similar to when the minimum was removed some years ago but in reverse.

Two people with 9 years contributions, one reaching SPa on 5th April 2016 and the other SPa on 6th April 2016. One gets a small pension, the other get nothing at all. These are the rules.

The whole nSP was badly thought out and badly implemented but at the end it was a money saving exercise.
  • you can voluntarily pay for 3 more years to close the gap.

But will that still be possible when the OP has left the country, we have left the EU/EEA and the OP possibly no longer has a UK bank account?
  • greenglide
    greenglide Posts: 3,301 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Hung up my suit!
    I thought that a non UK resident could pay class 2 NI if they wanted, subject to some limits?

There have been several postings about this.
  • OK.

Lots of information here, including application form CF83 :
    https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/social-security-abroad-ni38
    Some people employed abroad have to pay UK National Insurance contributions. Others may choose to pay them to help qualify for benefits when they get back to this country or for State Pension or bereavement benefits whether they come back or stay abroad. This leaflet describes the classes of National Insurance contributions, and how paying them affects your entitlement to social security benefits.

Also, extract from page 10 of booklet N138:
    You will need a minimum of 10 qualifying years to
    receive any new State Pension from 2016.
    NICs paid before 2016
    will be recognised in the new system.
  • Can't help, I'm afraid - but I have to say that it's refreshing to read that EU pensions may not be the brilliantly generous schemes (...UK State pension worst in Europe ... moan...moan) that some people on these boards think they are.

The monetary amount of the pension is one thing, but the tax environment in which the pension is received is also very important.

Here in Sweden the average gross amount of the state pension scheme is around SEK 12,000 (about £1,000). However, on that you pay 30% tax whereas in the UK you would not pay any tax. The UK scheme is poor, but as you correctly say....some other European schemes are as well.
  • xylophone
    xylophone Posts: 44,322 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 29 October 2018 at 6:10PM
    Here in Sweden the average gross amount of the state pension scheme is around SEK 12,000 (about £1,000). However, on that you pay 30% tax whereas in the UK you would not pay any tax.

A person whose only income was state pension of £1000 a month and who was on standard personal allowance would pay tax on the excess over £11,850.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure