Bit baffled by Guaranteed Minimum Pension

Had state pension since 2013 and also had a pension from working in local govt

I realised this year that my personal local govt pension annual increase was less than the 3% quoted. When I queried this I was told the balance to make it up to 3% was paid by the state as part of my state pension and this had been part of the 2016 changes. This didn't sound right and I asked for a fuller explanation.

After various exchanges I was sent the link below which purportedly "details responsibilites on funds for increases in pensions during the period of contracting out i.e. when you paid into the fund for any period during 1978 to 1997." Those dates include my 16 years service. The text the link takes you to is parliamentary gobbledegook to me. Can anyone explain this briefly in language a lay person would understand so I know if i'm being treated right? Thanks!

https://researchbriefings.parliament.uk/ResearchBriefing/Summary/SN04956#fullreport

Comments

• hyubh
    hyubh Posts: 3,531 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 2 August 2018 at 10:07PM
    kuepper wrote: »
    I realised this year that my personal local govt pension annual increase was less than the 3% quoted. When I queried this I was told the balance to make it up to 3% was paid by the state as part of my state pension and this had been part of the 2016 changes.

Other way round - you reached state pension age before the 2016 changes, so your pension follows pre-2016 rules.

The old state pension (applicable to you) involved two parts, basic and additional. The former is unaffected by 'contracting out' (in your case by being a member of a contracted-out final salary scheme), the latter is, since the idea of it was to provide a salary-related pension for people who didn't have one otherwise.

However, things were (are) complicated by it not simply being the case that you either had an occupational pension or earned an additional state pension -

- Between 1978 and 1997, contracted-out schemes like the LGPS had to provide a 'GMP' that (sort of) directly corresponded to the additional state pension ('SERPS') you would have had, had you not been a member. In exchange, a lower rate of National Insurance was applicable.

- GMP earned on membership ('service') between 1978 and 1988, however, is not index linked in payment by the scheme. Instead, your state pension each year is calculated as if you had been contracted into the additional state pension, before the GMP the scheme must pay is taken off; the net figure is then added to your basic state pension.

- GMP earned on service between 1988 and 1997 *is* index linked in payment by the scheme, but only up to 3%. If official 'pensions increase' is higher, then a similar situation to pre-88 GMP arises, i.e. your state pension is calculated as if you had been contracted in, then your GMP (including any statutory increases paid by the scheme) is netted off.

Things get even more complicated with most private sector final salary schemes, partly because the pension increase rates on their 'excess' (i.e. non-GMP) pension usually isn't the official 'pensions increase' that SERPS and public sector pensions share, and partly because they are free to chose a 'fixed rate' revaluation method for GMP that means the value of it on reaching state pension age can be quite different to the SERPS the member would have had on contracting in. However, the same principle outlined above applies.
  • kidmugsy
    kidmugsy Posts: 12,709 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    hyubh wrote: »
    Things get even more complicated with most private sector final salary schemes ...

When I discussed one subtlety with the office of my principal FS pension, at one point the clerk said "and we have to guess that figure because we don't know it". If I understood her correctly (if!) their guess probably erred in my favour so we ended the call on the best of terms. The amount involved in the guess wasn't large and the only way I could have checked it properly was by using bits of paper that, if they had ever existed, must have been lost in house moves decades ago. So there we are: I'm numerate, the clerk was on the ball and helpful, and still a small component of my pension is based on a guess.

It took my wife's FS scheme four different attempts to calculate her pension; we have no way of knowing whether the last calculation was right.

It's all pretty unsatisfactory.
    Free the dunston one next time too.
  • kuepper
    kuepper Posts: 1,359 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 3 August 2018 at 8:43PM
    I'd be lying if I said I understand it all now! I'm a bit clearer but I just don't seem to have the cognitive skills to absorb this fully. At the end of the day I just want to be able to check that my state pension includes the amount that my pension fund say it does in order to leave me with the amount of money in total I would have received if my pension fund had given me the full 3% it announced

My 2018 state pension notice shows:

basic state pension of £125.95
    Pre 97 Additional State Pension £A
    less Contracted-Out Deduction (COD) £B

Total payable (£A-£B) £C
    Post 97 additional State pension £D
    Graduated retirement benefit £E

The amount each week is £F (ie £125.95+£C+£D+£E)

So which figure is supposed to be /include the amount paid to make up my local govt pension to the amount it would have been if I had received the 3% increase?
  • hyubh
    My 2018 state pension notice shows:

basic state pension of £125.95
    Pre 97 Additional State Pension £A
    less Contracted-Out Deduction (COD) £B

Total payable (£A-£B) £C
    Post 97 additional State pension £D
    Graduated retirement benefit £E

The amount each week is £F (ie £125.95+£C+£D+£E)

So which figure is supposed to be /include the amount paid to make up my local govt pension to the amount it would have been if I had received the 3% increase?

What results from the pre-97 ASP less the COD.
  • kuepper
    What results from the pre-97 ASP less the COD

the princely sum of £4
  • hyubh
    [What results from the pre-97 ASP less the COD

the princely sum of £4

Sorry, I meant 'the answer to your question is, "What results from the pre-97 ASP less the COD"', not 'What results from the pre-97 ASP less the COD?'. That said, how does this marry up to the difference between your LGPS pension for March 2018 x 1.03 vs. your actual LGPS pension for May 2018? (Ignore April because that month is a bit fiddly - LGPS excess and GMP increases come into affect on a different days.)
  • xylophone
    xylophone Posts: 44,322 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 3 August 2018 at 10:31PM
    You reached SPA before 6 April 2016?

When you reached SPA you received a letter along these lines from LGPS?

Dear Mr Kuepper

LGPS Pension Fund

We refer to your pension paid by LGPS.

We have now received confirmation from HMRC of the amount of GMP that is payable from your 65th birthday.

The GMP elements of your pension increase in payment at different rates to your main fund pension. We therefore detail below the revised split of your pension and the future increases that you will receive from the Fund.

Pre 1988 GMP £ xxx per annum No Increase from the Fund. Increase may be provided by the State and paid with your State pension.

Post 1988 GMP £yyy per annum Increase in line with CPI up to a maximum of 3% each year. Any increase in excess of 3% will be provided and paid by the State

Fund Excess Pension £zzz per annum In line with the CPI.

The GMP equates to the COD shown on your DWP letter.

The pre 88 GMP does not increase.

The post 88 GMP increases by CPI (up to 3%) in the September previous to the April increase.

Let's suppose that the ASP shown on the DWP in your first SP letter was £100 and your COD was £80, made up of £70 pre 88 and £10 post 88.

Your ASP is therefore £20.

In the following year, the ASP is increased by CPI of (say) 4%.

ASP becomes £104.

Your pre 88 GMP remains the same.

Your post 88 GMP becomes £10.30.

Your ASP is then £104 - £80.3O which equals £23.60.

You can see then that the DWP has paid the full 4% increase on your pre 88 GMP and the excess over 3% on your post 88 GMP (3% having been paid by your scheme).

Did you look at the example provided for "Tim" in the link in my post 3 above which gives an example of how pension increase would be calculated and paid if you paid into the LGPS before 1997 and had a GMP amount?
  • xylophone
    xylophone Posts: 44,322 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    And in connection with the above, and using my hypothetical figure of 4% CPI , your scheme pension statement would show no increase on pre 88 GMP, 3% on post 88 GMP and 4% on the excess.
  • kuepper
    edited 3 August 2018 at 10:22PM
    Sorry, I meant 'the answer to your question is, "What results from the pre-97 ASP less the COD"', not 'What results from the pre-97 ASP less the COD?'. That said, how does this marry up to the difference between your LGPS pension for March 2018 x 1.03 vs. your actual LGPS pension for May 2018? (Ignore April because that month is a bit fiddly - LGPS excess and GMP increases come into affect on a different days.)

Sorry you;ve lost me there with the nuance you're trying to convey re ASP/COD. My 2018/19 pension is ~£8/month less than I would have had if I'd got the full 3% rise in my local govt pension, so where would I find if that £2 a week was included in my state pension?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure