Leaving the UK after 7 years - State Pension

I have NI contributions for 7 years, but I need to have at least 10 to get the new state pension.

I am early 30's and going to move back to my EU country.

My question is can I voluntarily pay the gap years? to get the minimum?

I read that I can transfer my years to my country's system (but i would rather not as it sucks there)

anyone got views?

Comments

• Silvertabby
    Silvertabby Posts: 8,970
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    fonsde wrote: »
    I have NI contributions for 7 years, but I need to have at least 10 to get the new state pension.

I read that I can transfer my years to my country's system (but i would rather not as it sucks there)

anyone got views?

Can't help, I'm afraid - but I have to say that it's refreshing to read that EU pensions may not be the brilliantly generous schemes (...UK State pension worst in Europe ... moan...moan) that some people on these boards think they are.
  • Are you sure about that ?

OECD Net pension replacement rates has the United Kingdom at 29% on this chart (2016 data), second lowest among those listed.
    data.oecd.org/pension/net-pension-replacement-rates.htm

Do you have a figure for your current contributions ?

Register for a "personal tax account" with HMRC.
    I think this gives a government gateway ID first then you register for additional services such as the personal tax account.

https://www.gov.uk/log-in-register-hmrc-online-services
    Once you have that you can check your National Insurance contributions and State Pension.

https://www.gov.uk/personal-tax-account
    https://www.tax.service.gov.uk/check-your-state-pension/account

That should show any gap years.

anyone got views?
  • fonsde
    fonsde Posts: 81
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    I have a HMRC account and I can see the "years of full contributions" etc.
  • In the "personal tax account" window you should see a box with
    "State Pension"
    "View your State Pension and National Insurance contributions"

Select the "View your State Pension forecast" link
    https://www.tax.service.gov.uk/check-your-state-pension/account

It will display "Your State Pension summary"
    Showing projected amount if you reach maximum contributions.

Below this is "Estimate based on your National Insurance record up to 5 April 2018"
    £XXX.XX a week

This is the amount you should receive at your state pension retirement age if you stop contributing now.
    I have a HMRC account and I can see the "years of full contributions" etc.
  • atush
    atush Posts: 18,719
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Except he doesn't have the minimum 10 years contributions?

Will the op be able to pay voluntary contribs after leaving?
  • Fonsde has NI contributions "before 6 April 2016"

Which is why the figure in the personal tax account is the one to use.

The "usually need at least 10 qualifying years" is for someone starting contributions after this date which use the new State Pension rules.

https://www.gov.uk/new-state-pension/how-its-calculated

Valuing your National Insurance contributions and credits made before 6 April 2016

Your National Insurance record before 6 April 2016 is used to calculate your ‘starting amount’. This is part of your new State Pension.

I can't help with the answer to voluntary contributions when you are not working and paying NI in the UK.
    atush wrote: »
    Except he doesn't have the minimum 10 years contributions?

Will the op be able to pay voluntary contribs after leaving?
  • fonsde wrote: »

No, I don't think you can transfer your years to your country's system.

Have a read of the link posted by xylophone which has a good explanation of how the EU-wide system currently works.

Extract:
    Eligibility periods
    In some EU countries, you must have worked for a minimum period of time to be entitled to a pension.

In such cases, the pension authority has to take into account all the periods you've worked in other EU countries, as if you'd been working in that country all along, to assess whether you're entitled to a pension ( principle of aggregation of periods).

I'm afraid I don't know what to suggest.

This is also a matter of real concern to people currently in the UK who have spent a few years working in other EU countries.

One thing I can tell you - the International Pension Centre in Newcastle don't have a clue either, according to someone who 'phoned them last week.
  • FatherAbraham
    FatherAbraham Posts: 1,024
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    You cannot transfer UK state-pension benefits to your home country. No such facility exists.

You need a minimum of 10 years in the current UK system to get anything. However, when applying the minimum, an EEA (not the EU: the EEA includes the EU plus some others like Norway and Liechtenstein) state must consider periods of contribution other EEA states.

Thus, if you already have more than three years of contribs another EEA state, then you are already qualified.

If you do not have that already, then you will have a shortfall if the UK leaves the EEA. You would currently be able to buy those years via extra contributions, or by returning to the UK to work for three years in the future, or possibly if the UK returned to the EEA sometime after leaving and before you reached state pension age.

The wrecking of the EEA treaty on mutual recognition of periods of state-pension-scheme membership is one of the consequences of Brexit which will fall very expensively on people who have worked for short to medium periods in several EEA countries. The damage is compounded because the agreement restricts an individual to only being permitted to pay voluntary contributions into one state.
    Thus the old Gentleman ended his Harangue. The People heard it, and approved the Doctrine, and immediately practised the Contrary, just as if it had been a common Sermon; for the Vendue opened ...
    THE WAY TO WEALTH, Benjamin Franklin, 1758 AD
  • You need a minimum of 10 years in the current UK system to get anything. However, when applying the minimum, an EEA (not the EU: the EEA includes the EU plus some others like Norway and Liechtenstein) state must consider periods of contribution other EEA states.

Thank you for highlighting that. It's not immediately obvious from the europa website, but I see that when it refers to 'EU countries' it actually means '28 Member States + Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway & Switzerland'.

That could be a very important distinction in the unlikely event that the UK ends up staying in the EEA, which some prominent political figures of various political persuasions are now advocating.
    Thus, if you already have more than three years of contribs another EEA state, then you are already qualified.

If you do not have that already, then you will have a shortfall if the UK leaves the EEA. You would currently be able to buy those years via extra contributions, or by returning to the UK to work for three years in the future, or possibly if the UK returned to the EEA sometime after leaving and before you reached state pension age.

The wrecking of the EEA treaty on mutual recognition of periods of state-pension-scheme membership is one of the consequences of Brexit which will fall very expensively on people who have worked for short to medium periods in several EEA countries. The damage is compounded because the agreement restricts an individual to only being permitted to pay voluntary contributions into one state.

Well you said it FA!

I don't think some people on these boards have really woken up to that risk.

My other half has the option to take his small French pension a little early with a reasonable reduction. We hope that it will continue to be paid post-Brexit, but with all the alarmist talk of a hard Brexit who knows?

At any rate it could blow a very nasty hole in the retirement savings of quite a lot of people which is just the last thing so many of them will need.

(The 10 year minimum rule for the UK state pension looks harsh, but it's 15 years for France and Spain).
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure