overcharged for sewerage rates.

I have a friend who is a OAP, living on his own in a small bungalow who has been overcharged for water sewerage by our local authority, Fenland District Council. He has been charged for the last 2 years around £300 per year ( he is on a water meter like his neighbours, who average about £90 per year). When he realised it was an excessively high amount, he contacted FDC who stated that it had been based on his band B property, because he hadn't sent them a copy of his water supply bill (supply provided by Anglian Water). He was informed by the person at FDC they could not provide any refunds. Having looked at the paperwork that came with his bills, there is nothing stating he had to submit the water supply bills to obtain the correct bill from FDC. my friend has no access to the internet or a computer and easily baffled by paperwork. Has anyone any knowledge re reclaiming his overpayments please?

Comments

• Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,036 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    I am afraid your post makes no sense to me.

Councils are not involved with water charges; it is purely the water companies.

Likewise Council tax banding has no effect on water charges*.

If he is on a water meter, the sewerage charges are based on the amount of water supplied by Anglian Water; that sewerage bill can be raised by Anglian Water, or possibly another water company.

* I wonder if you/he are getting confused with Rateable Value(RV). Prior to April 1990 'local taxes' were based on the RV of a property. That changed to the Poll Tax and then the current Council Tax.

A property's water charges were based on this RV and unless you have had a water meter fitted this is still the method used to assess water and sewerage charges levied by the water company.
  • Cardew, it also made no sense to me when the problem was first shown to me as I also thought the same thing.
    However, in my friends case, he is on a metered supply from Anglian Water, but the actual sewerage is dealt with by a Fenland District Council plant. When this is the situation, the owner of the bungalow has to send in a copy of his Anglian water meter charges to FDC, who then base his sewerage costs on the provided details. If the details are not received by FDC, they then make a charge based on current council tax banding.
    Its an odd system, but that is the case in this point, and unfortunately its not made particularly clear for someone who is not great with paperwork .
  • Cardew
    We live and learn!

It appears this is for properties not connected to Mains Sewers see item 6 of this scale of charges.
    http://fenland.gov.uk/media/14539/Fees-and-Charges-2018-19/pdf/Fees___Charges_2018-19.pdf

6. Sewage DisposalProperties not connected to mains sewerPrivate dwellingsService charge (per annum)Standing charge (per annum)

The charges are given 'as per AW' - AW = Anglian water.

https://www.anglianwater.co.uk/household/your-account/bills-and-payments/tariffs/standard-rates/

The above link shows AW's charges.

£300 pa for sewerage charges for metered properties would be quite normal. I assume that his neighbours who average £90 a year are not metered and have a very low Rateable Value(RV)(see my post 2)
  • Nope, both properties are in exactly the same situation- they are a pair of semi detached bungalows, both on meters, both having sewerage dealt with by Fenland District Council. Both have a fairly low useage of water, the only difference being that the nieghbours were aware that they had to send a copy of the water supply bill to FDC and my friend didnt. Having now been made aware of the large difference in payment due and contacting FDC, he's been informed he would not get a refund .
  • Mister_G
    Mister_G Posts: 1,925 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    I suggest they get their District Councillor involved.
  • Cardew
    vegas602 wrote: »
    Having now been made aware of the large difference in payment due and contacting FDC, he's been informed he would not get a refund .

Have they reduced his future payments to the same level(£90ish) that his neighbour pays?

If they have it would appear that by not notifying the FDC of his AW bills they have used his Rateable Value.*

* I can see nothing in the FDC scale of charges that refer to Council Tax banding, they refer to AW's charges which will be RV and not Council Tax.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure