PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

January 2019 Grocery Challenge

Comments

• System
    System Posts: 178,092 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    £10.77 in Lidl. Nothing major, mostly bits for lunches for the week. Pleased to get some third off sandwich meat though, as I make sandwiches in bulk, and put them in the freezer. So saved a bit there. :)

Never considered freezing sandwiches. Do they still taste ok? Is there anything that doesn't freeze well? This would be a good idea for OH as he always leaves making his sandwiches until he is almost ready to go to work and then ends up leaving a mess everywhere.
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,081 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    First shop of 2019 of £28 mainly on fresh bits and household stuff as well as olive and sunflower oil which bumped the cost up. This shoud last me until the middle of next week.
  • sweetpea26
    sweetpea26 Posts: 831 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Rampant Recycler
    edited 7 January 2019 at 1:43PM
    Good morning and thank you elsiepac for this challenge
    Hi to everyone :)
    Please put me down for £390 please
    Im a bit late in starting the challenge..tried dec and gave up ... have not got a clue what I spent and I don't want to know :)

Back to normality.
    MrT delivery on Friday £65.30... we are rural so this for me is well worth it. I cook from scratch so their own brands reasonably priced.

Today I go into market town...banking post office etc ... went sainsbugs
    and spent £8,59..used £2.50 nectar and lots of change that big kids have left for me on kitchen counter :) so cost was £4.67 :) Happy with that.

There was about £6 spent over weekend as I sent son to Lidl. etc.
    Feel in control of the spending and only buying what I really need.
  • Ginmonster
    Ginmonster Posts: 617 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    I did a quick stocktake of fresh stuff yesterday and ended up with a list of a few things I needed so I popped into Aldi today to get them. I wasn't quite as disciplined as I could have been but I decided to get a few items to start a Brexit store. Since our politicians don't seem to be able to stop fighting long enough to sort the whole thing out we still don't know what's actually going to happen so a bit of a stash is seeming like a good plan. It says a lot about my priorities that I've started with a couple of packets of cheese and butter to go in the freezer. 😁

Anyhow, I also got the fruit, veg and cheese I needed for now plus a couple of bags of reduced chocolate coins for pirate treasure and general bribery of the 6 year old. £28.98 spent and I'm determined that's it until the weekend now.

£36.27/120
  • MrsLottie
    MrsLottie Posts: 128 Forumite
    That’s definitely IT for the week now ! As this is a five weekend month I need to budget £50 per week .Spent another £6.10 at local One Stop and £39.00 at Aldi .That leaves me with 20pence left from this weeks budget. So this leaves me at £49 80 /£250 for the month .This is my first try at attempting a monthly budget and I feel if I can do one week then I can manage the rest for January .We will see !
  • elsiepac
    elsiepac Posts: 2,553 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    VickyV wrote: »
    Hi all,

I would like to rejoin (for the umpteenth time) but really need to stick with it. I have had a bad few months so I need to get back in the game.

My husband died in November so there's just me, 3 kids (one unfillable ds with ASD) and 2 cats. Not sure how being a man down will affect the budget or if I'll be able to cook from scratch as much now but I'm hoping to stick to £65 per week for food, toiletries, cleaning and washing stuff and cat food. We'll see how it goes.

Good to be back on the boards.
    Vicky x

Welcome Vicky, and I'm so sorry to hear about your husband.
    I cannot imagine what you must be going through.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Old Style, Crafting and Techie Stuff boards.If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    GC: May 22 £tbc/£250 Vegan 27-8-13
  • mummyjane
    mummyjane Posts: 391 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Good luck with it, mummyjane. I think, getting the family on board, is half the battle. Once they understand the reasoning, and the benefits of controlling a particular part of incoming finances, it makes it easier all round :)

Oh, and definitely going to the shops on your own. That is a massive help, as long as you're disciplined! :)

Oh definitely, if I take my dh shopping with me, even with a list my total doubles! He’s very good if I shop on my own and doesn’t usually grumble too much, but he can’t resist the offers in store and we end up wasting half the food we buy as he doesn’t eat it (and I hate wasting food). The kids seem quite good so far, the only thing I’ve cut back on which they’re complaining about is fizzy drinks but I’ve explained that it’s for their own good :rotfl:

Popped into Mr T’s last night and stocked up on pasta, minced beef for dinners and more toilet rolls (where’s do they all go?!). Then today had to pick up yet more milk and bread plus some chicken for tea so a total of £24.50 spent. Still on track for this week amazingly!
    GC 2023 June £72/500 NSDs 1/10
  • lantanna
    lantanna Posts: 4,389 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Really enjoying this challenge. Can’t state how much this has made me rethink my shopping and unnecessary stockpiling habits!

February’s budget starts next Friday for me ( payday ). My budget for feb will be £200 which seems like a fortune after my £1oo Jan budget.

Spent £1.99 today on Taco Sauce. Taco mince for t.
  • Quick update to keep me accountable! Sister sent me a text letting me know lots of our long standing favourites were 1/2 price at Te5co.
    *Spaghetti
    *Our favourite bolognese sauce for when I've not got any left in the freezer stash from h/m batches
    *Some favourite crisp snacks
    *DH's favourite nutty choc. bars
    ...got several packs of each as all have a very long shelf life. Should help keep us eating at home when we're fancying a treat/have family film nights etc. Also grabbed some tissues, decongestant capsules and smoked salmon for a bring and share event.
    £40.44 spent. Total of £76.80 spent 1-7th.
  • Hello

I did this last January which was great but the rest of the year was a bit off.

So far I have done two Aldi shops at £11.35 and £11.82 plus £1.50 at Tesco.
    Total: 29.67.

Also, to my shame, £21.97 tobacco on 2nd. Hate smoking for every reason but no willpower.

I have joined a gymn and I am hoping that will help with the smoking. £103 for three months.

I was aiming for £80 but £100 seems more realistic.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure