Car Insurance For A Brand New Older Driver - baffled and confused!

Options
2»

Comments

• comeandgo
    comeandgo Posts: 5,744 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I'm a named driver on my daughters car so I can use it when I'm babysitting. Putting me on her insurance dropped the cost. Do you have an older relative who has had no claims or convictions who may need to drive your car?
  • Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    Options
    mustiuc wrote: »
    I dont agree telling them you are unemployed. Why would you say that? Do you have a qualification/degree something? Car insurance companies are not god on earth to know everything you do every hour a day. You migh change jobs, quit for a while, take a few months break. Would you call them to let them know you want a two months break and stay at home without job? They will put your premium up in 1st second.

This is bad (and dangerous) advice to give a novice driver.

You have to "say that' - you are entering a contract, and part of the agreement is you have told the truth. You breach the contract at your own considerable risk

As already posted never lie, and always stick to the conditions of the policy which you agreed to when taking it out

These include informing the insurer of changes from the original information supplied including changes of occupation etc
  • csgohan4
    csgohan4 Posts: 10,587 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    I dont agree telling them you are unemployed. Why would you say that? Do you have a qualification/degree something? Car insurance companies are not god on earth to know everything you do every hour a day. You migh change jobs, quit for a while, take a few months break. Would you call them to let them know you want a two months break and stay at home without job? They will put your premium up in 1st second.
    If with parents as named drivers, small engine low group car, 35y/o, low mileage (I wouldn't put more thank 6k/yr) you're getting 1300 a year, then you don't have what to do elso to pay it, build your first NCB, next year will go slightly down and so on. There is nothing you can do.

Disagree

you need to be honest or you risk your insurance being void, Fronting is also frowned upon as well if your thinking about it

If your not unemployed, are you retired then? or a house person?? which is it? for example?

Example of where it can go wrong if your not working and 'forget' to tell insurer change in circumstances

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5989319&highlight=car+insurance+cancelled
    "It is prudent when shopping for something important, not to limit yourself to Pound land/Estate Agents"

G_M/ Bowlhead99 RIP
  • mustiuc
    mustiuc Posts: 98 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I am not going to argue with anyone and/or "teach" someone how to lie getting a lower premium. What I am trying to say is that everyone's premium/circumstances are different and there is no middle way. You either "be honest 100%" and pay the price or try to lower your premium. There are dozens of threads on this forum with people complaining how much they've been charged for adding more mileage or their insurance being cancelled because THEY choose to inform the company they were commuting or they "forgot" to update the address, etc. Btw, have you noticed 95% of those with voided policies "forgot" to update/inform the insurance company? I wouldn't even try to come back here to excuse myself and try to "bend the law" to get clean afterwards.

OP, please ignore all I said. You are a new driver without experience and high risk to be involved in an incident for the next couple of years. Be honest and ALWAYS inform your insurance company of any changes.
    And pay the price.

Cheers
  • csgohan4
    csgohan4 Posts: 10,587 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    I am not going to argue with anyone and/or "teach" someone how to lie getting a lower premium. What I am trying to say is that everyone's premium/circumstances are different and there is no middle way. You either "be honest 100%" and pay the price or try to lower your premium. There are dozens of threads on this forum with people complaining how much they've been charged for adding more mileage or their insurance being cancelled because THEY choose to inform the company they were commuting or they "forgot" to update the address, etc. Btw, have you noticed 95% of those with voided policies "forgot" to update/inform the insurance company? I wouldn't even try to come back here to excuse myself and try to "bend the law" to get clean afterwards.

OP, please ignore all I said. You are a new driver without experience and high risk to be involved in an incident for the next couple of years. Be honest and ALWAYS inform your insurance company of any changes.
    And pay the price.

Cheers

Bending the truth risks your insurance being void should you need to claim, is it really worth the saving for a few pounds when you have a repair bill in the thousands.

Everyone circumstances is different, but what shouldn't change is the truth. Anything other than that and you only have yourself to blame if it goes wrong
    "It is prudent when shopping for something important, not to limit yourself to Pound land/Estate Agents"

G_M/ Bowlhead99 RIP
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport