First time redundancy, advice required

Hi all,

I was informed mid march that our company has lost it's contract and their is a high risk that all staff will be made redundant or have to transfer to another warehouse.

A lot of us have never been through this before so it is all new to us.

We have had our first consultations this week and the company representatives were unable to answer a fair few questions which is understandable. However there is a lot of panic and low morale with people not knowing where they stand.

The consultation period ends at the end of april, which will be 45 days notice. However the latest rumour going round is that the majority of staff will be made redundant at this time.

Id just like to know what sort of questions should i be asking in my second meeting, i work 12 hours 6pm-6am, will the redundancy be basic pay or would it include the night shift allowance as i have always been contracted to nights?

They are stating that we are only entitled to statuary redundancy pay, so would this be the governments own? Or are operatives able to claim this on top?

If a suitable location is not arranged, can staff ask for MHE licenses to be refreshed which have gone out of date to enable future employment elsewhere?

I have also read a lot of people stating to never take the first offer they put to the table, is this smart? Or could they offer something worse off?

We have no union rep on site so not a lot of staff know what is happening.

Any sorts of advice on how to approach this will be helpful for the whole workforce not just myself.

Thanks
Mark

Comments

• Masomnia
    Masomnia Posts: 19,506 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    There's a redundancy calculator here, so see what that comes out with in terms of pay.

I'd be asking them why they are making redundancies? How have they selected which roles to make redundant? If they are going to choose between people to make redundant, what criteria are they using to select people? Can you get it in writing?

If your role is going, are there other jobs within the business that you could do? If there are, have they considered making the person doing that job redundant instead of you? (All is fair in love and war and redundancies...)

And if you are made redundant, what kind of package are you looking at? What will a reference look like?

Good luck.
    “I could see that, if not actually disgruntled, he was far from being gruntled.” - P.G. Wodehouse
  • happyc84
    happyc84 Posts: 324 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    depending on length of service - have you been their longer than 2 years?
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    I was informed mid march that our company has lost it's contract

check if TUPE applies
  • phillw
    phillw Posts: 5,594 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    If they are paying statutory redundancy then that is the bare minimum they can get away with.

You should check what your notice period is. I know someone who reminded their employer after everything had been settled that he was on a three month notice period. Its worth sitting on that if they are planning on making you work your notice.

You can ask them what steps are they taking to find you work within the organisation. They have a responsibility to do that up until the end, even if they've already told you that you are being made redundant
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure