TSB to cut interest rate on its current account to 3% - MSE News

Comments

• bristolleedsfan
    bristolleedsfan Posts: 12,089 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    edited 16 April 2019 at 5:49PM
    Are you a moron?
    Can you name anything that has been consistently the same permanently? Because I can't think of a single thing. Doesn't matter whether someone said it would or not, I can't think of a single thing, be it a soup recipe, Facebook, this forum software, that hasn't changed. Apart from Jesus, but we won't get into that.

Do you honestly think bankers don't lie?
    Or that markets change so in one year, what a bank expected actually it can't promise?
    Seriously... what are you going to do about it? Apart from moan on this thread?

Because if you're not starting court action, it doesn't really bring anything to the discussion.

Having now complained to TSB pointing out that I did not claim compensation in 2018 due to the recorded statement that the 5% rate would stay for good, I have now been compensated to the tune :whistle: of 3 digits monetary value :dance: :p
  • Ed-1
    Ed-1 Posts: 3,890 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    having now complained to tsb pointing out that i did not claim compensation in 2018 due to the recorded statement that the 5% rate would stay for good, i have now been compensated to the tune :whistle: Of 3 digits monetary value :dance: :p

£150? ............
  • bristolleedsfan
    bristolleedsfan Posts: 12,089 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    edited 16 April 2019 at 6:45PM
    Ed-1 wrote: »
    £150? ............

That was what I asked for :)

Words TSB used was " At the time we had no future plans to reduce the rate, However like all banks do we regularly review what interest rates we apply. Weve now taken the decision to reduce this to better reflect the current position of the industry"
  • Are you a moron?
    Can you name anything that has been consistently the same permanently?

Ten years ago, my dad decided to give up smoking for good.

Three years ago, my grandmother died and I'm pretty sure she'll be dead for good.
  • phillw
    phillw Posts: 5,594 Forumite
    zerog wrote: »
    You can be pedantic over the exact wording, but it was obvious to me that the spirit of their promise was that the 5% rate would last for around 1 year.

How is it obvious that "we won't take it away after a year" means that it would last for around 1 year?
  • phillw
    phillw Posts: 5,594 Forumite
    schiff wrote: »
    So when on the odd occasion we feel cheated, and in this case it is very debatable, why bother fighting it?

It is debatable, which is why it's being debated. I can't speak for everyone, but your assumption is wrong about me. I'm totally calm.
  • dcs34
    dcs34 Posts: 536 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    phillw wrote: »
    How is it obvious that "we won't take it away after a year" means that it would last for around 1 year?
    Appreciate people can interpret the emphasis different ways, but literally the sentence implies that after a year, they won't reduce the rate - but before the year they can.
  • pollypenny
    pollypenny Posts: 29,393 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    dcs34 wrote: »
    Appreciate people can interpret the emphasis different ways, but literally the sentence implies that after a year, they won't reduce the rate - but before the year they can.

The sales pitch suggests a long-term increase to 5%, they want to appear unlike these fly by nights who offer a sweetener for a year. :(
    Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)
  • schiff
    schiff Posts: 20,099 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    I can't imagine this getting to the High Court to interpret the legal standing of what an ex-employee said in an interview. We should move on.
  • Edithgrand
    Edithgrand Posts: 71 Forumite
    Ah well all good things come to an end.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business