Can't decide whether to take out gadget insurance or home insurance with a retailer care plan

Hello.
I am a student living away from home. I am thinking of buying a laptop. I would like to insure it and all of my other gadgets from accidental damage, loss and breakdown. I can't figure out whether I should take out home insurance to cover loss and get a care plan from a retailer like Currys or Argos to cover breakdown and accidental damage OR if I should get gadget insurance like the Barclays tech pack, for which I have an active monthly plan at the moment.
The care plan has no excess. Barclays tech pack gadget insurance has an excess of £75. I plan to take out home insurance with an excess of £100 if I go down that route.
Home insurance + care plan will be more expensive at £195 per year but will cover a lot more like other things in my flat which aren't gadgets and I won't have to pay an excess for accidental damage and breakdown.
The Barclays tech pack costs £144 per year but has an excess each time I want to claim.
I live in a rented property. Will I be able to insure items that have not been purchased by myself? Is this claimable under legal cover?
I apologise for the amount of information in this thread. I would be grateful if someone could provide advice with this.

Comments

• Perksy5
    Perksy5 Posts: 141 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    personally i think care plans are a rip off for what they are. trying to claim on them is such hassle and a nightmare to arrange a date to get things fixed, and stay fixed if they do. and care plans are only limited to the one appliance.

tech pack is fantastic, you're covered outside and on your travels whereas with contents insurance you have to pay extra for that and pay extra to have gadgets covered or accidental damage. and if you claim on contents it'll push premiums up whereas tech pack is a stand alone product it wont.

personally, i'd go tech pack and contents mainly because i love my pack, and contents cover my other worldly items in an emergency, whereas a care plan is very limiting i find.
  • sdfj
    sdfj Posts: 37 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Thanks for the reply.
    What makes care plans a hassle?
    How do I find out how much premiums will be pushed up?
    Also if I change address do I have to switch the home insurance to my new address? I am a student living away from home and I believe covering the family home would be far too expensive.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure