Kitchen fitting costs - is this fair/reasonable?

Hi,

We are getting our old kitchen removed and new one fitted - a rather large job as it also included the install of RSJs etc. We have a kitchen spec from Howdens which includes 9 standard sized cupboards to go under the worktops, one large (floor to ceiling) cupboard, and an island with 2 under worktop cupboards and a set of drawers.

For fitting this we have been quoted £3600 by our builder. I have this sneaking feeling that this is too expensive, but I don't know for certain. Does anyone have any recent experience with kitchen fittings who might be able to comment on this?

Many thanks in advance.

Comments

• phill99
    phill99 Posts: 9,093 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Its OK saying '£3600', but what does this actually include? Is it just a dry fit, or does it include installation of appliances, appropriate electrical works, plumbing and gas fitting, tiling etc etc.

What worktops are being installed? Solid Oak is much more complicated to install and is quite labour intensive so will cost a lot more than say laminate.

We don't know if it is good value as we don't know what it includes
    Eat vegetables and fear no creditors, rather than eat duck and hide.
  • vacheron
    vacheron Posts: 1,600 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Last year we had a real wood kitchen fitted with 5 floor to ceiling units, 5 under worktop cabinets and a large island with 3x1m double drawer units plus 2 book cabinets and quartz worktops and were charged £2312+ VAT (£2,775) for "Joinery, Plumbing and Electrical Installation".

However my father and I did the disassembly of the old kitchen which took about 6-7 hours as we wanted to re-use a lot of the cabinets. We also had our own guys do the electrics and plumbing so at the end we received a refund of £1250 from the kitchen people to reflect this (but then I had to pay my own guys a similar amount).

The whole build took their kitchen guy about 4 days from start to finish.

So I would say a little on the pricey side, but as others have said it depends on what is and isn't included.
    • The rich buy assets.
    • The poor only have expenses.
    • The middle class buy liabilities they think are assets.
    Robert T. Kiyosaki
  • rflook
    rflook Posts: 70 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Point(s) taken. In terms of what it includes - I don't know, mainly because I don't have a breakdown of the units (which come to think of it seems weird!). I was told that they don't give the prices to the end user, only to the builder, so we only have the kitchen cost directly from him. But come to think of it, I am not sure why we shouldn't be able to see a breakdown of what we are buying? Or is this normal practice?

What I do know (from the kitchen pack) is that it has approximately 9 under work surface cupboards, one large (floor to ceiling) corner unit, and an island which has 2 under worktop cupboards and a set of drawers.

No installation of appliances - these are freestanding, no electrical works - we have an electrician doing that, and the only plumbing that needs to happen is we need a new plumbing point for the dishwasher.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure