Dishwasher pros and cons

Options
We have a dishwasher in our flat.

It's brilliant because we just load it up with plates, mugs, cutlery etc and we don't have to wash up every day.

However, I know they use a *lot* of water and energy, so I was wondering about the trade-off.

We can't put pots & pans in the dishwasher because they take up too much room, and generally don't get properly cleaned anyway.

Our dishwasher is a normal sized one that takes up the space of 1 kitchen cabinet.

We usually put it on 3 times a week, and wash up about 3 times a week as well.

Do you think we'd be better off washing everything up by hand, or continuing to use the dishwasher? Remember, dishwasher tablets are way more expensive per wash than a squirt of Fairy!

Comments

• JasX
    JasX Posts: 3,996 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 14 December 2010 at 10:23AM
    Options
    I use a dishwasher because i'm basically too lazy to wash up each day... however between lots of juggling and re-arranging over time and an excess original purchase of Ikea plates/cutlery/glasses etc I'm very efficient at filling it and never 'need' to put it on because i've run out of crockery, only when its actually full (but not over full so stuff doesn't get clean).

I also bulk buy the tablets in costco (£9 for 180 - Finish) so reckon I have have it going about as cost efficiently as possible :)

Probably run it once a week on average... maybe even once every 8-9 days but any longer and stuff starts to risk getting fluffy/mouldy (yuk!)
  • victor2
    victor2 Posts: 7,600 Ambassador
    I'm a Volunteer Ambassador First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Energy efficient dishwashers don't use a lot of water in comparison to washing the number of dishes a full dishwasher can take by hand. Take into account the cost of heating the greater volume of water it takes to wash the dishes by hand and suddenly the cost of running a dishwasher doesn't seem so high. Dishwasher tablets can be expensive, but as JasX says, you can often find good deals and get a few months supply.

Ours runs about 3 times a week, which reminds me, it's full so I'd better switch it on!:)

I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the In My Home MoneySaving, Energy and Techie Stuff boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. 

All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

• lapat
    lapat Posts: 816 Forumite
    Options
    dishwashers do use a lot of water, and a lot of electric as they have to dry the pots pans etc, they also have to heat there own water.

washing your pots by hand is the cheaper method

but we still use our dishwasher at least once a day, there is six of us though
    need to have a lightbulb moment
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,036 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Options
    There have been loads of studies that conclude that a fully filled dishwasher is slightly more economical that washing by hand; the much higher temperatures in a dishwasher are apparently more hygenic as well.

Either way there can be little in terms of costs between the two methods, and surely it is worth using a dishwasher just to see the shining bright glassware that it produces!!!!
  • TheSaint_2
    TheSaint_2 Posts: 1,011 Forumite
    Options
    Those "studies" are often not the full picture though. If you have a water meter you need to take into account the cost of the water - not just heating it.
    Your washing up style will also have a huge effect.
    Do you run the tap constantly and wash up, or do you fill your bowl and wash, then rinse etc.

The only way to be sure is to do an experiment :)
    But the simplest way to compare:

Assume you have no water meter and you only have to pay to heat your water. If you fill the bowl, wash up and then rinse it will definately be cheaper than using a dishwasher if you include cost of tablets and the dishwasher cost itself.

The studies often quoted usually include time taken by the person washing up as an additional cost - and usually include the calories you burn doing the washing up! As if that is a bad thing! Most people could stand to lose a few pounds (of weight!).
    :D
  • JasX
    JasX Posts: 3,996 Forumite
    Options
    TheSaint wrote: »
    have to pay to heat your water.

Another trick I'm pulling in the cold snap which my particular dishwasher seem to have robust enough programming to cope with is after the cycle has just ended to pop the door wide open.

Blast of steam + hot air gives a nice boost to the internal temperature, dishes get dry alot faster in the open air and the warm water in the base still drains away ok after 20 mins or so as per usual.

Me having a stab at a bit of 'waste heat recovery' there :A
  • victor2
    victor2 Posts: 7,600 Ambassador
    I'm a Volunteer Ambassador First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Cardew wrote: »
    There have been loads of studies that conclude that a fully filled dishwasher is slightly more economical that washing by hand; the much higher temperatures in a dishwasher are apparently more hygenic as well.

Either way there can be little in terms of costs between the two methods, and surely it is worth using a dishwasher just to see the shining bright glassware that it produces!!!!

I put the filters from my extractor hood in the dishwasher once every three months and the grease just disappears. I have been known to put spoked car wheel trims in there too. Fantastic job even if the OH didn't entirely approve!

I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the In My Home MoneySaving, Energy and Techie Stuff boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. 

All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure