scheduled airline failure insurance

Options
Were flying to florida next saturday with globespan for my husbands 50th we booked with visa debit (yes we are stupid):mad: we have checked with our tesco insurance policy and we are not covered for scheduled airline failure. Ive read every newspaper article available about how to cover yourself and found that the post office have scheduled airline failure insurance on their annual policy as standard (quoted £126 for the year) but have just found another article about IPP website that is launching scheduled airline failure insurance from tommorow not sure on all the info so i phoned them but she said register and the site should be up and running from tuesday. sorry a bit long winded but my questions are:confused:

1) will globespan be classed as a scheduled airline
2) should i wait in the hope that cover from IPP will be appropriate in the hope that globespan dont go bust before tommorow
3) should i just take the policy with the post office (our current annual policy doesnt run out until december so not moneysaving but willing to take the cover to ensure that we are covered for any failure.

Thanks in advance of any advice:T
Official DFW nerd 206 Proud to be dealing with my debt
£2 savers club joined 25/6/06 £54:dance: (0ver £1200 banked)
LB moment June 06 Debt payed off so far £36000 DFD March 2010:eek:
Reclaimed fees
MBNA £302 RBOS £49.58 Mint £25.95
PPI: A&L £2074 Freemans £770 MBNA £944:j

Comments

• richardw
    richardw Posts: 19,458 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    HomeJames wrote: »
    we booked with visa debit (yes we are stupid):T

There is the visa delta debit charge back possiblity, so perhaps not that stupid.

Call the insurance company and ask them if your globespan flight is charter or scheduled and insurable.
    Posts are not advice and must not be relied upon.
  • HomeJames_3
    Options
    i phoned post office and they say we are covered as we booked direct with the airline the guy was not too convincing though im always suspicious of insurance companies they promise you the world until you want to make a claim and thats when they say your not covered! Not been able to get any info on the IPP site yet hence not sure whether to hold out until tommorow has anyone else looked at this site protectyourholiday.com
    Reclaimed fees
  • richardw
    Options
    i phoned post office and they say we are covered as we booked direct with the airline

Perhaps get that in writing.
  • mattbarter
    Options
    We too have flights with Alitalia next year.
    We booked them with a VISA debit card from Halifax so this: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programmes/working_lunch/7593369.stm suggests we may be ok although it might be more complicated as the company is not from the UK.
    We are also thinking of getting the post office annual travel insurance as we have been told this covers scheduled airline failure and alitalia haven't gone insolvent quite yet.

if anyone has any suggestions or information on whether we are likely to be covered or any other steps we could take to protect ourselves then please let us know.

Thanks
  • HomeJames_3
    Options
    The IPP site tells you some of the companies they dont cover check them out for alitalia its a pity there are no specific sites which tell you exactly who they will cover and who they wont and how to protect you when you book direct. alsoyou could phone the post office direct i phoned them this morning but im still not convinced i suppose the underwriters would tell you and there is a 14 day period where you could cancel the policy. HTH
    Reclaimed fees
  • HomeJames_3
    Options
    Just been on IPP and they dont cover alitalia sorry.
    Reclaimed fees
  • mattbarter
    Options
    i'm a little confused about the link between the IPP and the post office's insurance. does that mean that the post office use IPP to provide their insurance for airline failure?
  • richardw
    Options
    mattbarter wrote: »
    the post office use IPP to provide their insurance for airline failure?

Possibly.

http://www.ipplondon.co.uk/airline-news.asp
  • HomeJames_3
    Options
    Ive just been onto protectmyholiday.com today and covered our flights to florida for £25 (there are 5 of us travelling) its a big weight of my mind and hopefully now if anything does go wrong we will be okay its well worth checking it out to see if your airline is covered through them and they also cover some booking agents for the accomodation side of things. £25 well spent i think
    Reclaimed fees
  • lfc84
    lfc84 Posts: 336 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Ive just been onto protectmyholiday.com today and covered our flights to florida for £25 (there are 5 of us travelling) its a big weight of my mind and hopefully now if anything does go wrong we will be okay its well worth checking it out to see if your airline is covered through them and they also cover some booking agents for the accomodation side of things. £25 well spent i think

Check the policy excess or limits of payout. I think Post Office pays out a maximum of £1500 per person for scheduled airline failure, whereas I think Ryanair / Easyjet safi will payout a max of £350 per person.........
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure