We've made some changed to Competitions Time. Please see this thread.

Worst Year Ever!

Comments

• same here ................. worst year ever!!
    I don't do the facebook or gleam ones is that why there aren't any wins?
  • Now that GDPR requires that all web forms should be opt in rather than opt out, and most of us probably don't choose to opt in to all of their marketing emails et all, and only check the accept T&Cs box on these competition entry forms

Could that be another filter they are using to determine entry into the draw or not

Or is that me just being too sceptical
  • lukgs7
    lukgs7 Posts: 2,347
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    Worst 2 years compared to previous wins.
    Winning isn't everything, it's the only thing ;)
  • mjm3346
    mjm3346 Posts: 46,881
    Forumite
    edited 12 October 2018 at 5:06PM
    Now that GDPR requires that all web forms should be opt in rather than opt out, and most of us probably don't choose to opt in to all of their marketing emails et all, and only check the accept T&Cs box on these competition entry forms

Could that be another filter they are using to determine entry into the draw or not

Or is that me just being too sceptical

It should be stated if you need to opt in to newsletters etc to be in the draw (which they can do, the opt out being not to enter) - it maybe they choose to only notify winners from the newsletter database etc so they would not be able to contact you if you have not opted in (I have seen it stated on a few and it maybe in a site privacy policy that they only retain e-mail addresses for those that have signed up)
  • db3745
    db3745 Posts: 448
    First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    I've been going to mention this subject for a while, and only saw the thread while looking to report an unwanted sales call.

It's very noticeable to me that the landscape seems to have changed alarmingly from a comper's point of view in the last year or so. Certainly there's been a fall-off in the number of comps in my favourite prize area - foreign holidays or flights, which can be put down to some extent to pressure on marketing budgets; also a huge switch to social media which I avoid more and more as friends get unwanted Facebook notifications. Without Bauer radio stations and some magazines there'd be even fewer opportunities.

Having said that, I heard of something worrying via a forum on fantasy football which is a hobby of mine. A small group of keen fantasy enthusiasts saw familiar-sounding user-names cropping up in the league tables which you can access online. Between them they identified hundreds of team entries obviously coming from one address or family, and this from more than one or two such families. They'd reported this to the promoters without any action being taken. We know in our sector promoters try to ensure that automated entries don't get through, but if the checks are being circumvented in the fantasy arena, you wouldn't bet against the same thing happening in our comps?

It's over a year since I won anything really, and I think it's more than coincidence, and just a few more people comping.
  • MaineBlue
    MaineBlue Posts: 15,986
    Forumite
    Had a couple of small wins via social media but not won a single thing via any web entry form. All in all, if you look at the effort against the 'prize fund' I've won I must be 'working' for something like 5p per hour. It's been pathetic this year.
    UEFA: Corrupting Football Since 1954 #CTID
  • cagsd
    cagsd Posts: 7,615
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I won, I won, I won!
    Forumite
    MaineBlue wrote: »
    All in all, if you look at the effort against the 'prize fund' I've won I must be 'working' for something like 5p per hour. It's been pathetic this year.

So you're not one of the "many" who've quit their jobs due to competition success?!https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5907133 (Me neither :rotfl:)
  • I'm having a pretty bare year too. Small wins which I love but there is definitely lots of horrible factors contributing to less opportunity.
  • JamboDP
    JamboDP Posts: 41,257
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Forumite
    I was having a crap year until today, look in IWIWIW
    I do it just for fun and whatever I win is a bonus
  • I might not win big but atleast I know I've done it all on my own steam with my own efforts, ethically.

I'm fed up of seeing fake photo entries, just seen pumpkin carving competition with absolutely ridiculous entries, clearly ripped off, and if the winner carved that pumpkin themselves , recently , I will eat my computer.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure