If you could go back in time...

Comments

• David Evans I wouldn't call having a holiday once a year, going to a concert or two or football match or having a few nights out extravagant.

Now had he said he has a season ticket at United, necks 10 pints every Saturday, goes on 3 holidays a year and drives a bmw I would tend to agree with the extravagant.

You only have one life that can be snatched away from you at any given moment. What is the point living a life just work and save. When are you going to start truly living? When your 65 and your health is bad? Or when you have to help your children with their grandchildren? Or when your partner is ill and you have to be there career?
  • Zero_Sum
    Zero_Sum Posts: 1,567 Forumite
    Retireby40 wrote: »
    David Evans I wouldn't call having a holiday once a year, going to a concert or two or football match or having a few nights out extravagant.

Now had he said he has a season ticket at United, necks 10 pints every Saturday, goes on 3 holidays a year and drives a bmw I would tend to agree with the extravagant.

You only have one life that can be snatched away from you at any given moment. What is the point living a life just work and save. When are you going to start truly living? When your 65 and your health is bad? Or when you have to help your children with their grandchildren? Or when your partner is ill and you have to be there career?

Exactly. I tend to go on one cheapish holiday to the med. Although we've pushed the boat out this year & doing something a bit different which costs a bit more. My season ticket works out at £13 a match, add of a few beers total cost £25 once a fortnight which is pretty much the only time i can get together with mates for a few pints. Concerts are only 1 or 2 a year. I drive a cheap 2nd hand small hatchback. Its not in the slightest extravagant. I am quite frugal but you still need a life. And giving up drink just cos quite a bit goes to HMRC is a bit sad really.
  • Zero_Sum wrote: »
    Exactly. I tend to go on one cheapish holiday to the med. Although we've pushed the boat out this year & doing something a bit different which costs a bit more. My season ticket works out at £13 a match, add of a few beers total cost £25 once a fortnight which is pretty much the only time i can get together with mates for a few pints. Concerts are only 1 or 2 a year. I drive a cheap 2nd hand small hatchback. Its not in the slightest extravagant. I am quite frugal but you still need a life. And giving up drink just cos quite a bit goes to HMRC is a bit sad really.

Also made easier by the fact that most of the pubs near me have changed into kebab shops or barbers.
  • I was in business school at uni 15+ years ago. I had to write an essay comparing the strategy of a good company (I chose Amazon) and a bad company (Woolies). I should have taken my own advice and invested my student loan in amazon! At least I got a first in that essay :D
    Thinking critically since 1996....
  • My 20 yrs self would be saying or better still SHOUTING have no interest in owning horses. Whilst they have given me great joy / heartache and a range of emotions in between the financial outlay over the years has been phenomenal.
  • BBH123 wrote: »
    My 20 yrs self would be saying or better still SHOUTING have no interest in owning horses. Whilst they have given me great joy / heartache and a range of emotions in between the financial outlay over the years has been phenomenal.

Hang on, shouldn't this be on the "Debate Horse Prices" board? ;)
  • Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    But if you listen to older and more experienced people, you can hopefully learn from the mistakes of others.

Investing can never be mistake free. Too many events are beyond ones own control.

My late father always said buy the bookmaker rather than bet at them. Secondly invest in a company on the ground floor. Never wait for the lift to start climbing.
  • Malthusian
    Malthusian Posts: 10,936 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Retireby40 wrote: »
    David Evans I wouldn't call having a holiday once a year, going to a concert or two or football match or having a few nights out extravagant.

An ascetic Buddhist hermit would call David Evans' lifestyle extravagant. It's all relative.
  • Knowing what I know now.... Put my savings on England to beat Germany during the 2001 world cup qualifier and treat myself to a nice holiday and then chill for a few years keeping eye out for something called bitcoin where I have to invest £100. Have my divorce and reassure myself that'll all will be ok and then sell the bitcoins December 2017. Reckon that'll do me just fine :)
  • Vet wrote: »
    If you could travel back in time and give a 20-something year old version of yourself advice on investing, what would you tell them?

What advice would you give to a 20-something looking to invest now?

I currently invest via L&G through a S&S ISA - only £150/month split into 3 trusts - UK 100 Index, US 100 Index and Global 100 Index. Since i'm only 25 I wouldn't change what i've done so far (yet)!

If I could go back in time, I would definitely buy more Bitcoins.
    Debt & mortgage free since 2011  |  Financial independence since 2017
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport