PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Love food hate Waste Part two for 2018 :)

Comments

• YorksLass
    YorksLass Posts: 1,710 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    My contribution towards LFHW over the coming weeks will be using up as much as I can from the freezer. :D

Destined for use this coming week are: king size prawns for Saturday curry; slices of roast beef in gravy for Sunday dinner; bacon chops and red cabbage (Monday); sausage (Tuesday); a large chicken breast for jambalaya (Thursday) and mushy peas (Friday).

That will still leave other things for the last week of the month (and probably into November :o) - x2 pork shoulder steaks, x4 chipolata sausages, another large chicken breast, x2 lightly dusted cod fillets, kippers (for DH), prawns and mussels, x24 crab-flavoured fish sticks, x4 portions hm chilli, a box of chicken sticks, hm pork mince base, x2 portions beef tagine and x2 portions of corned beef hash.

In addition, I won't be doing any baking this week either. A tidy-up of the drawers revealed a ys angel cake, x4 squares of hm coconut cake and x5 slices of hm fruit loaf.

For puddings - if we want/need them - are half a tub of neopolitan ice cream, sweet waffles, a bag of summer fruits, two bananas (to make ice cream) and x4 pancakes.

I've also got x3 boxes of blackberries that I'll turn into jam this week.

All the odds and sods have been moved to the top drawer to remind me to use them up: a few slices of chorizo, red and green pesto cubes, pate, cubes of tomato puree, some chopped ginger and garlic and a carton of hm spicy bacon & bean soup.

And then there are all the "bread-y" items: crumpets, croissants, plain and wholemeal pitta pockets, foccacia, part-baked mini baguettes and a few slices of hm wholemeal bread.

Oh, the embarrassment of it all! :o:o I honestly didn't realise just how much stuff is in there.

I think I could do with joining the Eating out of the freezer and cupboards forum!
    Be kind to others and to yourself too.
  • joedenise
    joedenise Posts: 16,560 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Looks like you'll only be needing fruit, veg & milk for the next month!

Most of my main meals will be out of the freezer this month too but I still seem to spend too much every month!

Denise
  • JackieO, I agree sometimes simple is best - DH & I had fish finger sandwiches for Friday’s dinner, having had hm spicy vegetable soup for lunch.

YorksLass, I sorted my freezers today - one in garage & one in kitchen. Completely rearranged the contents but unfortunately I didn’t find anything interesting :( I was really quite jealous reading your list of ‘freezer finds’ :o My lists of contents are also updated - so I can menu plan properly. Unfortunately my DSis is a bit fussy but if she doesn’t fancy something she now cooks for herself :D

LFHW

MrsSD
    Be Kind. Stay Safe. Break the Chain. Save Lives. 

2024 Savings Pot Challenge: As a monthly amount, running total = £116.85
    Jan £5; Feb £13; Mch £25; Apr £31:65; May £42.20; Jun £??; July £??; Aug £??; Sep £??; Oct £??; Nov £??; Dec £??.  Grand Total £??
  • joedenise
    Really need to sort my freezers - seem to be putting quite a bit in. I seem to remember what I have but not where it is in which freezer! Think I will try and make that a job for early next week!

Denise
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 17,413 Forumite
    First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    I've been thinking back again :)(no I really don't live in the past all the time :))
    But before we had the big white box in the corner (freezer) which was going to transform all our lives and make life easier we probably perhaps didn't have so much food waste in a way, as food was bought to be consumed within a few days for obvious reasons.
    Now we fill our freezers up, and then spend valuable time trying to empty them. :)

True, we are able to get Y/S stuff and bargains, and like squirrels we horde stuff for the 'just in case' moments in our lives.

But at the same time it's so easy to think of the big white box as a bank.

If you counted up in cash terms, how much cash is actually sitting in the corner of the kitchen ?, sometimes unused or unwanted until you suddenly decide that perhaps its time for a clear-out and proceed to throw xxx amount of pounds into landfill :):):)

BY LFHW and altering one's outlook a bit ,using up odds and ends then becomes far more appealing I think..

We were having a discussion about this my friend Margaret and I on the phone last night and as we are both of an age ... shall we say fairly like old cheese and wine quite mature :) we said that to some of our mutual friends and family we at times sound a bit bonkers as making a meal out of almost anything instead of buying a ready-meal seems to their generation strange, but I find it pretty satisfying to do so.

I was also wondering this morning how much actual food we have all used, and in its turn saved from being binned over the past 18 months or so.

A fair amount I would imagine, I first started this forum as an afterthought, when I read on the internet about a woman I think in one of the Scandinavian countries who had come to realise how much good food was being junked .
    I wrote about it on this site and was so surprised when so many people agreed, and we decided to join forces and try to do as it said on the tin :):):)

Here we are 18 months later and what an eye opener its been. I have learnt so much, and had so many great recipes from everyone

I'd just like to thank everyone who has joined in our little experiment and hope we all carry on .

Its seems there are a good few of us who had our light bulb moment and have started to use the cash box in the corner of the kitchen :)
    So well done everyone I think you are all fantastic
    Onwards and upwards

JackieO xx
  • joedenise
    Great post JackieO. I certainly won't be throwing anything away from the freezer - don't think anything has been in there for more than about 6 months and even if it has it'll still be good to eat just might look a bit different.

Denise
  • I had to be very frugal when my marriage broke down and one of the things I started to do was allocate a cost to what I was throwing away. I had always thought I had been quite good but when the chips were down I "saved" loads by using everything and throwing hardly anything away.

I would eat a fairly wrinkly apple by justifying that I wouldn't throw 20p in the bin!

I love this thread, I read it every day for inspiration.
    Thank you!!
  • YorksLass
    YorksLass Posts: 1,710 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    joedenise wrote: »
    Looks like you'll only be needing fruit, veg & milk for the next month! Denise

Yup, that's the plan! ;) And don't forget, that list was only what's in the freezer and didn't include fridge/cupboard contents! It will be interesting to see how long I can go before anything else is needed.
    JackieO wrote: »
    Before we had the big white box in the corner (freezer) which was going to transform all our lives and make life easier we probably perhaps didn't have so much food waste in a way, as food was bought to be consumed within a few days for obvious reasons. Now we fill our freezers up, and then spend valuable time trying to empty them. :) JackieO xx

:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

An interesting and thought-provoking post JackieO. Times (and attitudes) have definitely changed, haven't they?

I can tell by the contents of my kitchen bin there's hardly any waste chez nous so we're certainly doing our bit for LFHW. :D We don't do take-aways or ready meals either (I prefer to make my own), practically everything is made from scratch and any LOs are magically turned into something else.
    joedenise wrote: »
    Great post JackieO. I certainly won't be throwing anything away from the freezer - don't think anything has been in there for more than about 6 months and even if it has it'll still be good to eat just might look a bit different.Denise

I think the only thing from the list in my previous post that's ancient is the pate - the look/sniff/taste test may well be employed when that emerges!

Working Mum: I love your justification idea; it's a wake-up call when the food waste is pictured as cash waste. ;)
    Be kind to others and to yourself too.
  • maddiemay
    maddiemay Posts: 4,985 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    The slow cooker is dealing with a huge pot of beef stew, tired swede and parsnip, languishing potatoes and some carrots, some beef gravy from the freezer and the very last bouquet garni, dried herbs and stock cubes from stock. I had intended to serve it with dumplings, but I think I will have to cook them in some beef stock in a pan as there is no room for them. Hopefully it will be tasty comfort food for tomorrow and some for the freezer for a ready meal.

For 25+ years I had a large chest freezer and was always loosing stuff in there, I much prefer the current upright one, so much easier to keep the freezer log more up to date, I reckon we run at about 90% accuracy:)
    The best thing about the future is that it comes one day at a time. (Abraham Lincoln)
  • joedenise
    Have made a SC beef bourguignon. Had it for dinner tonight with boiled potatoes, green beans & broccoli. The LOs will be frozen for another meal next month.

Denise
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure