Are there any first names that are considered to be trademarked names? (Deed Poll & Passport)

13»

Comments

• NBLondon wrote: »
    As explained above - the US Patent and Trademark Office will allow you to trademark your own name as a business (but not someone else's without their agreement). So as an entertainer, it would be a sensible option to trademark multiple variations to protect all opportunities to sell merchandise. Which is probably financially more significant than the possibility of someone else choosing to change to the same name by deed poll. I reckon William James Adams Jr. has trademarked his stage name...

Here in the UK - the Intellectual Property Office doesn't seem to have any specific guidance https://www.gov.uk/topic/intellectual-property/trade-marks

Yes. However, it is still perfectly legal for parents to name their child a given name that a singer is widely known as to the general public. Similarly, there is nothing stopping an American citizen from changing their name to any of those names as well.
    Adele Astaire (sister of Fred) and Adele Anderson come to mind immediately. You're coming across a bit pompous, John, again assuming that your experience of a name is universal...

Adele was not an uncommon name before the singer Adele became famous. I have heard of a few girls with the name Adele. Yes, there are other references to the name. However, ask people in real life which Adele first comes to mind and I am sure many will say Adele the singer. Do you dispute that?

You seem to always be personally attacking me! Every post contains an ad hominem. I am not just using my own personal experience, if you read the news about the singer Adele she is always referred to as just 'Adele'; the Wikipedia article is titled 'Adele'. Of course I had heard of the name Adele before the singer but in popular culture she is often referred to by her first name.
    Now there's also a difference between someone who has two names and becomes known by one (maybe because they are the best-known in their field) e.g. Beyonce(Knowles-Carter) and someone who is already generally known by just one name or nick name e.g. (Steven Patrick)Morrissey. Paul Hewson became Bono Vox then Bono. Gordon Sumner got the nickname Sting before he was nationally famous. Graham McPherson became Suggs at school years before he was in a band.

Many people are also known by names that were/are not their birth names. Marilyn Monroe, John Wayne and others come to my mind. Also, many people often go by their middle name. There were several articles when Prince Harry and Meghan Markle were getting married about the fact that Meghan Markle's first name is actually Rachel and that she goes by her middle name Meghan.
    Someone who explicitly chooses a single name as a performing name (which then sometimes leads back to trademarking) is I'd say a more recent phenomenon driven by marketing as much as public acclaim. Hence Ke$ha (or Kesha now), P!nk before her and whoever is the latest hyped teen idol - Zendaya perhaps.

I agree with you.
    Some genres, of course, make more use of the single-name as stage name than others. Marshall Bruce Mathers was "M&M" at high-school, which mutated to Eminem as he became more widely known.

Yes, a lot of rappers go by a single name such as Tupac, etc.
    However Cheryl (Tweedy etc.) only tried to become mononymic fairly recently as a re-launch of her brand/image. Were there any famous singers called Cheryl before her - well Rita Crudgington was pretty well known in the 80s :D

To save you Googling, folks - that's Cheryl Baker from Buck's Fizz.

I know. She is also still widely known as 'Cheryl Cole'. I never once heard someone referring to her as 'Cheryl Fernandez-Versini'.
  • John_Lodge wrote: »

Yes, a lot of rappers go by a single name such as Tupac, etc.

How about Dave.

And he wasn't even the first to use that name.
    I don't like morning people. Or mornings. Or people.
  • donnac2558
    donnac2558 Posts: 3,610
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Kylie Jenner tried to trade mark the name Kylie in the US and it got kicked out of court.

Elton John was originally Reg Dwight then became Elton Hercules John but there were a very famous mythical Hercules before him.

Back in the 80s and 90s lots of people started naming their children Russin names like Nikkia. I worked in the passport office and we had some crackers. In the London office someone came in for a baby's passport and the child was called Treblinka! It was pointed out this was actually a Nazi death camp, the parents thought it sounded exotic.:rotfl::eek:

Then there was a woman called Wally Chicken and yes that was on her birth certificate.
  • pimento
    pimento Posts: 6,239
    First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    "If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." -- Red Adair
  • mgdavid
    mgdavid Posts: 6,705
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    NBLondon wrote: »
    While wondering if the OP is a wind-up merchant or just somewhat disconnected from reality.... .........

...or quite possibly both....

this has to be the most pointless thread on MSE in recent months...
    I'm reminded of the Python sketch - is this a 5 minute argument or have you paid for the full halfhour?
    The questions that get the best answers are the questions that give most detail....
  • NBLondon
    NBLondon Posts: 5,517
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Forumite
    edited 15 October 2018 at 8:36AM
    John_Lodge wrote: »
    Yes. However, it is still perfectly legal for parents to name their child a given name that a singer is widely known as to the general public. Similarly, there is nothing stopping an American citizen from changing their name to any of those names as well.
    Why would it not be? Unless they are intending to deceive - by impersonating that individual or to make a profit by falsely implying that their business/product is associated with that individual.
    Adele was not an uncommon name before the singer Adele became famous. I have heard of a few girls with the name Adele. Yes, there are other references to the name. However, ask people in real life which Adele first comes to mind and I am sure many will say Adele the singer. Do you dispute that?
    . No, I just disputed your assertion that
    before her there was not another famous singer called Adele
    by providing an example of an internationally famous singer/dancer/actor called Adele and a nationally renowned singer/songwriter/producer called Adele. Both of whom were in the public eye before ALB Adkins was born.

And I'm challenging your repeated assertion that some names are uncommon and that being the reason that certain famous persons are known by only one name. In some cases, the fame is the driver; in others it's a deliberate marketing ploy. Which doesn't always work, because it can come across as pretentious.

What ever happened to Duffy, by the way? And do I mean Aimee or do I mean Stephen (aka TinTin)?
    You seem to always be personally attacking me! Every post contains an ad hominem.
    You seem to be misunderstanding that term.

"John - you're a pompous idiot" would be an example of an ad hominem since it is aimed at the individual and has no connection to the points being raised.
    Wash your Knobs and Knockers... Keep the Postie safe!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure