Like the February Correction ?

Comments

• I think I'll ignore comments on the Telegraph from now on.... :rotfl:
  • ColdIron
    ColdIron Posts: 9,012 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Someone posted this in the comments on the Telegraph.... thoughts? do they make a good point?
    Currently gold is on the rise

Could have fooled me

GBP
    https://www.bullionbypost.co.uk/gold-price/one-year-gold-price

USD
    https://www.bullionbypost.co.uk/gold-price/year/ounces/USD/
  • Glen_Clark
    Glen_Clark Posts: 4,397 Forumite
    edited 11 October 2018 at 5:33PM
    We've seen this several times in the last decade.
    There is talk of rising interest rates (and a little action this time) markets get spooked and equities fall. Then central bankers reassure markets with an assurance that any rise in interest rates will be gradual. So buyers return and prices rebound.
    This game of musical chairs will probably end sometime but I don't know when. I don't think we are there yet because Governments have grown fond of low interest rates.
    “It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends on his not understanding it.” --Upton Sinclair
  • My funds portfolio is worth 10% less than it’s initial investment this week. Worse than the February correction for me, but hopefully will recover over the coming months, and doesn’t get too much worse in the meantime.
  • My funds portfolio is worth 10% less than it’s initial investment this week. Worse than the February correction for me, but hopefully will recover over the coming months, and doesn’t get too much worse in the meantime.

Yeah same for me

This is definitely bigger than Feb correction
  • Alexland
    Alexland Posts: 9,653 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    gary83 wrote: »
    Nice to see nobody panicking on here

Yup every time there is a market correction these threads act as a nice prompt to remind each other to 'stick to the plan' - whatever your plan may be. When markets go lower you shouldn't be doing any actions you hadn't already considered in advance. It's just the start of a waiting game to get back to the previous high however long that takes.

Alex
  • Alexland wrote: »
    Yup every time there is a market correction these threads act as a nice prompt to remind each other to 'stick to the plan' - whatever your plan may be. When markets go lower you shouldn't be doing any actions you hadn't already considered in advance. It's just the start of a waiting game to get back to the previous high however long that takes.

Alex

Completely - so many things I've read over the last few years have made me very calm in this situation.

Luckily when I was younger and more foolish, I had less money so I made all the mistakes when they were less material :)
  • Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    gary83 wrote: »
    Nice to see nobody panicking on here,

Investment is a long term game. More a worry for those that have recently sacrificed their safe index linked DB schemes for the vagaraties of the stock markets in the expectation of hugely better returns.
  • Alexland
    Alexland Posts: 9,653 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Malthusian wrote: »
    I was tempted to sell out when Provident Financial hit the mat in 2017, thinking it could signal the bursting of the consumer credit bubble.

Wasn't that caused by the poor management decisions in their own business to centralise debt collection?

Alex
  • BLB53
    BLB53 Posts: 1,583 Forumite
    Carnage on the world markets. My portfolio hasn't been this low since...April 2018.

FWIW just a correction led by high flying tech. A good time to reflect on asset allocation.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure