Regular Savings Accounts Article Discussion

Options

Comments

• dekkard
    dekkard Posts: 229 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I have an old Halifax Regular saver account that's still open; I paid into it for 12 months and transferred the money out. It now has zero balance.

The Halifax website doesn't allow me to open another regular saver presumably as I have the old one still open. But I can't close it online, only in branch apparently.

Anyone else come across this? Do I really have to go into a branch just to close an empty account?
  • schiff
    schiff Posts: 20,099 Forumite
    Options
    dekkard wrote: »
    I have an old Halifax Regular saver account that's still open; I paid into it for 12 months and transferred the money out. It now has zero balance.

The Halifax website doesn't allow me to open another regular saver presumably as I have the old one still open. But I can't close it online, only in branch apparently.

Anyone else come across this? Do I really have to go into a branch just to close an empty account?

Are you sure it's not now an Online Saver or something of that kind. My new account opening was straightforward, I don't see what's gone wrong here? Try the phone?
  • dekkard
    dekkard Posts: 229 Forumite
    Options
    schiff wrote: »
    Are you sure it's not now an Online Saver or something of that kind. My new account opening was straightforward, I don't see what's gone wrong here? Try the phone?

Thanks. No it's defo a regular saver. There's also an online saver sitting there which is empty too. That was created when the RS was opened. I'll go into a branch tomorrow and ask what the deal is.
  • isasmurf
    isasmurf Posts: 1,999 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks. No it's defo a regular saver. There's also an online saver sitting there which is empty too. That was created when the RS was opened. I'll go into a branch tomorrow and ask what the deal is.

The online saver was created for the regular saver balance to be transferred into on maturity. As that account is still open under the terms of the regular saver it automatically renews with the current interest rate for a regular saver, so you shouldn't have to open a new one.
  • soulsaver
    soulsaver Posts: 5,975 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    isasmurf wrote: »
    .. it automatically renews with the current interest rate for a regular saver, so you shouldn't have to open a new one.
    ...only if you have a continuous SO.
  • aj23_2
    aj23_2 Posts: 1,155 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options

An online saver didn't open for me when I opened my RS last week. My SO hasn't gone through yet either.
  • mhoc
    mhoc Posts: 19,262 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Is there a kind person who can remind us about Leeds Regular saver 4 rules and regulations pretty please.

I've got a cryptic reminder on the calendar for early November which says
    "Check Leeds 4 is under £6 thousand, withdraw £600, adjust SO to £50 a month"

But then on my excel it says maximum £7250 and expires January 31st - no year mentioned.

Yes I need to leave more precise reminders on the calender
    “Create all the happiness you are able to create; remove all the misery you are able to remove. Every day will allow you, --will invite you to add something to the pleasure of others, --or to diminish something of their pains.”
  • ctdctd
    ctdctd Posts: 1,080 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    mhoc wrote: »
    Is there a kind person who can remind us about Leeds Regular saver 4 rules and regulations pretty please.

I've got a cryptic reminder on the calendar for early November which says
    "Check Leeds 4 is under £6 thousand, withdraw £600, adjust SO to £50 a month"

But then on my excel it says maximum £7250 and expires January 31st - no year mentioned.

Yes I need to leave more precise reminders on the calender

Originally had a £6000 max balance excluding interest but no expiry date.
    Leeds changed this earlier this year and set an maturity date of 31st Jan 2019 with an increase of the max balance to £7250 excluding interest.
    Do Money Saving sites make you buy more bargains - and spend more money?
  • mhoc
    mhoc Posts: 19,262 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    ctdctd wrote: »
    Originally had a £6000 max balance excluding interest but no expiry date.
    Leeds changed this earlier this year and set an maturity date of 31st Jan 2019 with an increase of the max balance to £7250 excluding interest.

thank you for solving the mystery, reminder deleted and one less job to tackle
    I think its a wet afternoon job to delete defunct reminders.
    I've still got reminders about the Cheshire Building society (long since swallowed up by Nationwide) which I am sentimentally attached to as it was the very first regular savings account I had.
    Also reminders from when I was managing my Dads finances for him and he has been gone 4 years now
    “Create all the happiness you are able to create; remove all the misery you are able to remove. Every day will allow you, --will invite you to add something to the pleasure of others, --or to diminish something of their pains.”
    1882 Posts: 496 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    If I close my Nationwide current account by transferring to another provider what happens to my RS account? Does it continue until completion or would it be closed immediately?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback