Split Ticketing: Report successful routes here

Comments

• DjP
    DjP Posts: 218 Forumite
    Hmmm

Thanks anyway

but I've never managed to make any of these work

Milton Keynes????

London to Preston super saver return (Young Persons)
    £41.50

London to Milton Keynes super saver return (YP)
    £14.85
    Milton Keynes to Preston super saver return (YP)
    £35.05
    Total = £49.90

LOSE £8.40

hmmm

thanks anyway
  • Naturally if you have a nationwide card this affects things but I've made the following savings (ticket prices are approx and will have changed)
    London to Yate (Glos) I paid 27 via Didcot rather than 39 from London
    London to Rugby via Northampton I paid 17 rather than 30 direct
    London to Ipswich via Manningtree I paid 27 rather than 51 direct
    London to Kettering via Bedford I paid 20 rather than 50 direct
  • My partner works in the North and we live in Surrey/Soutwest london border... he used to pay for about 60gbp return but now with a bit of planning... and after reading it on MSE few months back we book singles each way and the price has gone down a lot.. At the moment GNER is having special offers and Doncaster-London going friday and back Monday were at 7.50gbp each way.....needless to say we booked it for few weeks to come!!!
    A friend is a present which you give yourself (R.Stevenson)
    Happiness seems made to be shared (Jean Racine)
  • Norwich to Midlands destinations (e.g. Nottingham, Birmingham):

Split at Peterborough and Leicester. (Not sure how this is affected by the relatively recent Central Trains cheap advance tickets though).

Norwich to London:

If there are no cheap One tickets left (singles as low as £5, so worth checking with them direct), you can get an Anglia Day Pass (off peak only) to Cambridge for £9, and a return or two singles to London from there. It takes longer but savings can be substantial for periods that are off-peak commuter-wise but still busy (e.g. bank holiday weekends).
  • rtwuk
    rtwuk Posts: 13 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Chiltern Line stations south of Banbury

Also try splitting tickets at Birmingham Snow Hill.

I did Gerrards Cross <> Kidderminster a year or so ago (leaving at 07.18 on a weekday and back the same day), and it was cheaper to split at Birmingham Snow Hill and get 2 returns Gerards Cross<>Birmingham Snow Hill and Birmingham Snow Hill<>Kidderminster.

This was before the £15 cheap ticket return referred to earlier in this thread
  • rtwuk
    rtwuk Posts: 13 Forumite
    Don't split in London.

If you travel through London, consider not splitting in London.

Example Edinburgh<>Gerrards Cross return via Kings Cross and Marylebone is cheaper with one through return ticket than Edinburgh<>Kings Cross, tube tickets and Marylebone<>Gerrards Cross.
  • moonrakerz
    moonrakerz Posts: 8,650 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    lg06111985 wrote:
    On the Bath to London front the following are all possible:

Saver Return (most trains, return within one month): £45 (£30 railcard)

Not quite fare splitting - but don't forget the alternative route as well. There are two through trains a day from Bristol to Waterloo (and back !) with South West trains via Salisbury.
    I know it takes longer, but the fares start from £17.70 !
  • alanrowell
    alanrowell Posts: 5,365 Forumite
    moonrakerz wrote:
    Not quite fare splitting - but don't forget the alternative route as well. There are two through trains a day from Bristol to Waterloo (and back !) with South West trains via Salisbury.
    I know it takes longer, but the fares start from £17.70 !
    And for people visiting Bath you might (depending on ticket) be able to break your trip & visit Stonehenge / Avebury as well as Salisbury Cathedral
  • Hi All

My mate needs to go from Redhill to York, think he may have to go through London. Which is the cheapest way of getting his ticket?

GNER won't let him search online as it's over 3months away.

Thank you
    :money:
    Comp Wins so far in 2007:
    Jessica Parker Perfume and Body Lotion/Food Steamer
  • Norwich to London:

If there are no cheap One tickets left (singles as low as £5, so worth checking with them direct), you can get an Anglia Day Pass (off peak only) to Cambridge for £9, and a return or two singles to London from there. It takes longer but savings can be substantial for periods that are off-peak commuter-wise but still busy (e.g. bank holiday weekends).[/QUOTE]

UPDATE

The Anglia plus one day pass has been £11.00 for a while now (also singles start from £6.00 since Jan 2nd, book in advance specified train only)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure