Virgin Ripoff?

Options
Good morning everyone.

Last night a friend asked me to look at her account with Virgin Media as she thought she was paying rather a lot.

She's on their 108 mbps fibre broadband with phone package (no TV). At present Virgin are charging £57pcm and she's been with them 3 years.

I had a look at Uswitch and the price of that package (M100) is showing as £27pcm (no setup costs).

Doesn't seem right to me - what should she/I do?

Regards

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    It's right - just about every company offers new customer promotions to attract new business.

Either phone to see if she can negotiate a lower price, or move to another provider.
  • JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Friend has not kept on top of her account and let contract run on .
  • Neil_Jones
    Neil_Jones Posts: 8,913 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Good morning everyone.

Last night a friend asked me to look at her account with Virgin Media as she thought she was paying rather a lot.

She's on their 108 mbps fibre broadband with phone package (no TV). At present Virgin are charging £57pcm and she's been with them 3 years.

I had a look at Uswitch and the price of that package (M100) is showing as £27pcm (no setup costs).

Doesn't seem right to me - what should she/I do?

Regards

Get on the blower and get a better deal, seek around the market and find an alternative deal that does for your friend what she wants (such the £27pm you've quoted) and use that as ammunition.

Just phone up and say I've looked around I've found a deal from Internet R Us for £25 a month (or whatever from whoever) and they'll give me everything but the kitchen sink for that, I'd rather stay with you what can you do for me?

That's all there is to it. Make sure any deals you find are genuine and publicly viewable - they do check - because otherwise you run the risk of coming out with something ridiculous that may not help matters.
  • FarmerGilesUK
    Options
    Neil_Jones wrote: »

Just phone up and say I've looked around I've found a deal from Internet R Us for £25 a month (or whatever from whoever) and they'll give me everything but the kitchen sink for that, I'd rather stay with you what can you do for me.

Exactly what I was going to do later today.

Thanks all for the help
  • cranford
    cranford Posts: 797 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    VM current prices for M100 + telephone are £33 for new customers then £49 after 12 months. If talk at any time is included then its another £8. I suspect this may be why the current bill is £57.
  • FarmerGilesUK
    Options
    Just to let you know that I negotiated a 108Mb contract with them at £35pcm (no phone). She was on a 70mb contract, so a £22pcm saving and a faster line.

Thanks to everyone
  • couriervanman
    Options
    Does she actually need fast speed.....some great deals around for 36/78 Mbps

Its a bit like the mobile phone salesman telling you he can increase your mins from 500 to 1000 and data from 5 GB to 10 GB for the same price as long as you sign new contract.....but you only ever used 400 mins a month and 3gb
  • Muad_Dib
    Muad_Dib Posts: 25 Forumite
    Options
    I have to say as soon as a internet provider says you can get a faster speed for less most people then close off and think great. But most people do not need the 100mb plus, as a 30mb plus is usually more than adequate. They will offer a good deal to keep you but at the end of that 12 or 18 months it will go up hugely. So you will need to search around again. So go for a deal on a 30mb to 40mb deal and save even more. Only households with several people using broadband for their TV computers etc etc using it all at once will ever need a super fast broadband. For the sake of downloading a film if you do this a little bit faster the cost is not worth it.
  • FarmerGilesUK
    Options
    Also gone for a SIP phone with Sipgate Basic as the phone is only use for the occasional incoming call.
  • steadyon
    Options
    Saw the new deal for Virgin Broadband only at £18 per month on MSE for 108Mb. A really good deal, however I am already with Virgin paying £32.50 per month. I phoned Virgin and asked how many days notice do I give to cancel my broadband connection reply was 30 days. I said fine and told her the reason for wanting to cancel as I saw a great deal on MSE, she said it is for new customers only and you would need to wait another month before you were deemed to be a new customer. So 60 days to get the MSE deal with 30 days without broadband.....so much for loyalty, they have you by the short and curlies!!!!
    Any ideas how I can get round this?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport