BEVs deals and information

Comments

• EricMears
    EricMears Posts: 3,232 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    almillar wrote: »
    EricMears:
    Yep, at launch at least, it doesn't seem to be available. But you were talking earlier like you were being forced to lease, I pointed out that you had a choice. Most people chose the lease option for Zoe 1. Proof? Find a Zoe 'i' (battery owned) for sale amongst all the 'normal' (battery leased) Zoes.
    No, I was referring back to the url quoted which clearly said that if you took the deal offered you'd need to join the battery lease scheme.

It was of course always an option to buy the battery rather than lease it - but I imagine the price for doing that might have been more than the apparent bargain quoted.
    NE Derbyshire.4kWp S Facing 17.5deg slope (dormer roof).24kWh of Pylontech batteries with Lux controller BEV : Hyundai Ioniq5
  • On the question of the Zoe there's a dealer up't North who has got a batch of 9 of them (19 plate dynamique Nav R110 Z.E.) he's knocking out for £18K, battery owned. Looks like there is starting to be a bit of movement in the market: competition and a new Zoe out i would guess..
  • ABrass
    ABrass Posts: 1,002 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    The Zoe looks like a very good car in its niche. Now you can buy the battery that is. For years you couldn't buy it outright and the lease cost has always been usurious.
    8kW (4kW WNW, 4kW SSE) 6kW inverter. 6.5kWh battery.
  • ABrass wrote: »
    The Zoe looks like a very good car in its niche. Now you can buy the battery that is. For years you couldn't buy it outright and the lease cost has always been usurious.

I thought you could buy the battery, but the difference was rather large, and perhaps leases were better value for company buyers who could set it against tax. Certainly, as pointed out here, lease cars for low mileage private buyers were an appalling buy.
  • GreatApe
    GreatApe Posts: 4,452 Forumite
    Mid range affordable BEVs (this includes the government £3.5k discount) but only 120 real world miles which makes them a little impractical

e Golf ............£23,144
    Nissan Leaf.. £26,163

By comparison
    Petrol Golf................£19,589
    Petrol focus..............£16,841
    3y old petrol focus...£8,500
    5y old A5 ..................£7,800
  • JKenH
    JKenH Posts: 4,792 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Interesting website shows we are keeping our cars much longer and the trend is upwards so it might be quite a while before the old ICEs work their way through the system and are replaced by BEVs.

https://www.nimblefins.co.uk/average-age-cars-great-britain

While cars aged older than 13 years old make up only a small percentage of the total vehicle population in Greta Britain, we noticed that the number of car owners choosing to hold on to their cars beyond 13 years old has increased steadily from only 6.3% in 1994 to 18.3% in 2018. The number of cars aged 13 years old or older in Great Britain has increased more than fourfold since 1994, a dramatic rise with 5.77 million cars older than 13 on the road today.
    Northern Lincolnshire. 7.8 kWp system, (4.2 kw west facing panels , 3.6 kw east facing), Solis inverters, Solar IBoost water heater, Mitsubishi SRK35ZS-S and SRK20ZS-S Wall Mounted Inverter Heat Pumps, ex Nissan Leaf owner)
  • GreatApe
    Cars are just more reliable than in the past and I think the mix has changed a little from the small cheap cars to bigger cars that last longer (and people have to keep them longer to be affordable)

My father has a 19 year old diesel on 210,000 miles no major costs/problems
    He is looking for a reason to replace it but always comes to the conclusion to just keep it for another 6 months and I guess he will keep doing that until something breaks that costs more than £500 to fix. At the moment its a tank it just keeps going.

My brother has a 11 year old diesel on 90,000 miles a premium model and inside and out is still great. I'm not sure if he will keep the car going but someone will probably keep that car going until it hits 20 years. The problem with this one is that the road tax is a bit silly but the car is nice
  • almillar
    almillar Posts: 8,621 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    The safety argument is a null one because Im not talking about removing any of this, just making it serviceable with a common interface.

Circuit boards aren't really servicable though, are they? I've replaced the odd blown capacitor but circuit boards aren't very servicable. An agreed standard for manufacturers to abide by, like OBD2, would be great, but I think I need to point out that BMW and Nissan, for example, don't make airbags, they buy them (and their control systems) from a handful of manufacturers.
    If the overall goal was to reduce emissions and not sell new cars then part of the MOT for diesels could include DPF refresh or retrofitting dpfs/egrs/adblue to older cars and subsidise that in parallel with new car developments. 3rd parties are producing retro fit DPFs (looked at it myself for my old camper)

Just not profitable I guess for them, and it's not unique, there are third party markets for all sorts of stuff for cars, DPFs are just another one.
    Low mileage diesels, make the DPF as a serviceable cheap item. Modifying them now or even looking like their modified is an MOT fail.

Are you missing the simplest explanation about all this complicated new stuff being fitted to cars - that it's just expensive? A cat contains (or used to) platinum and/or gold - how much can you reduce the cost of this?
    I certainly didnt have to sign anything 12 years ago for my diesel when I ordered it, havent heard of anyone since then either.

Sure you have, I just told you about one example, and it was even pre DPF days.

No, you could always, since launch, buy it outright. Just not a lot of people did, and it cost £5k-£6k more than leasing. And what do you mean niche, it's a supermini! Hardly niche!
  • GreatApe
    Having considered BEVs I think I've come to the conclusion of.......why?

To reduce CO2?
    Well I figure in the UK grid they reduce CO2 by about 30% Vs comparable ICE Equivalent. If CO2 was important to me then I should just opt to keep the heating off for one week

To save money?
    This is unlikely as even the affordable end of BEVs eg the e Golf £23.4k Vs the petrol golf £19.2k would take at least 5-6 years to recover and most new car buyers don't keep the vehicle for 6 years. and I suspect despite the internet 'fact' that EVs need no major upkeep that it will in fact cost more to upkeep an EV than a petrol car especially with the worry about battery replacement costs. Plus the range anxiety of just 120 miles and even less in the winter....hmm

To show off?
    Perhaps especially for a Tesla this applies and it is a real reason to get one premium brands exist and there is a market for them. But this isn't something I'm willing to spend a huge amount on

So I come to the conclusion there is a reason for Tesla to exist. It's a premium brand that meets the market need for a premium brand performance EV.

The others don't really seem to have a purpose. Using the e Golf again I would need the price difference to drop to no more than ~£3,000 over the petrol Equivalent and for the range to be closer to the 200 mile point including in the winter.

So I reckon my next car will be a petrol one

My 2p worth of advise to the car manufacturers would be. Don't bother with sub 200 mile offering unless it has a range extender. Place a small 3 litre petrol tank in your BEVs for heating purposes so winter range is the same as summer. The customer can of course opt to use the battery for heating if they aren't doing long trips.

Aim for a cost no more than £5k above the petrol equivalent and realistically this needs to fall to no more than £2k above a petrol equivalent and in time the same price as the Petrol version
  • joefizz
    joefizz Posts: 676 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Circuit boards aren't really servicable though, are they? I've replaced the odd blown capacitor but circuit boards aren't very servicable. An agreed standard for manufacturers to abide by, like OBD2, would be great, but I think I need to point out that BMW and Nissan, for example, don't make airbags, they buy them (and their control systems) from a handful of manufacturers.

Most circuit boards are easily replaceable and cheap, its the fixed specific housings that are usually the problem. Again, its not the airbags themselves but the controls which are usually bespoke. My airbag ecu was in a specific sealed metal housing so without getting the drill out (which would have probably caused more damage) it was hard to tell. Screws and replacement board would have sorted it out very quickly. Even if the board was obsolete it should be easy to replace (now as we speak) with arduino etc as long as the interface is published/known. There could be a license fee for this, effectively firmware download.
    As you mention about airbags, so it is with control systems but its the firmware that can be bespoke, just google replacements and you can see there are some generics (my diesel engine is used in over 10 marques, one of the reasons I bought it and like my camper, service parts can be found readily most places on earth).
    My older car alarm circuit is a good example. For some unknown reason the control box was placed inside the wheel arch so with time the seals go and water gets in even without bump starting blowing it, so eventually you cant get suitable breaker yard replacements. I did eventually get one but they are paired with the main ecu so to get the sounder bit working (the alarm arms, lights flash etc, just no noise) Id have to replace the main ecu as well. If they ever make a 100% working alarm a feature of the mot then Im screwed....
    At some point Im going to sit down and unsolder the processor from one board and swap it over to the other but thats a pita and I would hate to be paying someone to do it.

Just not profitable I guess for them, and it's not unique, there are third party markets for all sorts of stuff for cars, DPFs are just another one.
    3rd party stuff is based on economics. I have 3 vehicles and 2 haynes manuals for them as the third car wasnt produced in enough numbers to warrant making one. Same for replacement parts. Thats my point about making a lot of the bespoke stuff,generic from design. But that doesnt sell cars.
    There have been improvements but as we both mention above with sourcing common parts this has mostly been to do with industry consolidation and cost cutting rather than any environmental credentials.
    Are you missing the simplest explanation about all this complicated new stuff being fitted to cars - that it's just expensive? A cat contains (or used to) platinum and/or gold - how much can you reduce the cost of this?
    See the news for the increase in cat thefts in London!

Certain things you cant rationalise the cost, some tps for instance is no more than 10 quids worth of electronics but being supplied for up to a grand, because, again, what are you going to do?

I recently replaced the power board in a 600+ quid monitor for 14 quid, not even the capacitors, replacement board complete.

Increasingly the components are generic, its how they are put together and linked up that are bespoke (and therefore as expensive as they want to make them).

Sure you have, I just told you about one example, and it was even pre DPF days.
    Reference from well over 10 years ago, 20 years ago if a psa car... As I mention it wasnt mentioned to me 12 years ago and maybe I should have included the word 'since' at the end of my point.

I dont think we are arguing over much, there are certain things like holes in bodywork, suspension failure etc that are scrapping mot failures/safety issues but there are things which if there were the political will to fix (and reduce emissions) wouldnt take much to implement.

That doesnt sell new cars and prop up the industry/economy which brings us back full circle, all of this is based on economics/economy and very little to do with environment/pollution.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback