Changing address on TV licence

Hi, I'm sure someone here will know the answer to this.
How long does it take to change the address on a TV licence?
Now you can do it all online, is it possible to change the address for a short period if you are staying away from home, a week say, then change it back? Obviously not going to be watching in two places at once so should be possible but does anyone know whether that would work? Thanks!

Comments

• D_M_E
    D_M_E Posts: 3,008 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Doesn't your licence cover you for short periods away from the address where it's registered?
  • custardy
    custardy Posts: 38,365 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    A week? Wouldnt even give it a thought
  • Cornucopia
    Cornucopia Posts: 16,154 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 20 October 2019 at 7:28PM
    Hi, I'm sure someone here will know the answer to this.
    How long does it take to change the address on a TV licence?
    Now you can do it all online, is it possible to change the address for a short period if you are staying away from home, a week say, then change it back? Obviously not going to be watching in two places at once so should be possible but does anyone know whether that would work? Thanks!

It depends what you want to do it for. TVL say that repeatedly changing the address cannot be used to cover a 2nd Home, for example.

If you phone them, they will change the address whilst you are on the line, and it will take effect immediately, or possibly the next working day.

Depending on what you are trying to achieve, I agree with D_M_E - you might be better off using the "roaming" capability. This covers use of a Laptop or Tablet powered by its own batteries to watch TV anywhere without changing your home Licence. You do not need to notify TVL if you plan to do this, but it's a good idea to take a copy of your Licence with you.
  • Thanks to all for replies. I might try switching the registered address using the online form and see how well it works out - I'll feed back here on success or otherwise!
  • buglawton
    buglawton Posts: 9,235 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Nowadays you could be watching BBC live or catch up on your tablet or phone while staying in a hotel/b&b room that has no tv or in someone elses home. Or maybe on a train. I've sometimes wondered how crisply and clearly the BBC spells out how your paid-up license at your home address covers you for these situations.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure