Cheapest way to travel London to Cardiff

Due to separating with my partner, I am having to move back home to Wales leaving my ex in London. We have a 9 month old daughter and my ex is keen to see her as often as he can. Ideally weekly ( he doesn’t mind travelling) or I think more realistically, every two weeks.

He works in London and doesn’t drive so would be reliant on public transport. He plans to come up Friday after work and leave Monday morning ( compressed days every two weeks).

When I’ve looked at train tickets, they are £107 as it’s peak travel time. Coaches would take four hours and he might miss the last train to where I live .

Does anyone have any good ideas? I really want him to keep contact with his daughter regularly but don’t want to cost him huge amounts of time and money.

Comments

• stragglebod
    stragglebod Posts: 1,324
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Have a look here
    https://ticketysplit.trainsplit.com/timetable_fares.aspx

It's offering £72.80 by splitting at Swindon (though he doesn't need to actually change trains).

Doubt he'll get anything much cheaper at that's a busy commuter route at the best of times, there are especially a lot of people who live in South Wales, stay in London during the week and commute back for the weekend.
  • martindow
    martindow Posts: 10,196
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    If he books ahead cheaper tickets are available. Looking at 1st November returning 3rd November if you avoid peak trains from Paddington on the Friday evening you can pay £46.50/ £35.50/ £32 for trains leaving at 18.45/ 19.15/ 20.15. Returning there are tickets at £19 or £23.50.

These prices are from gwr.com Splitting might save a bit more.
  • National Express or Megabus is the cheapest but takes 4 hours ish. If you book ahead can be as little as £20 or less return.
  • yorkie2
    yorkie2 Posts: 1,595
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Have a look here
    https://ticketysplit.trainsplit.com/timetable_fares.aspx

It's offering £72.80 by splitting at Swindon (though he doesn't need to actually change trains).

Doubt he'll get anything much cheaper at that's a busy commuter route at the best of times, there are especially a lot of people who live in South Wales, stay in London during the week and commute back for the weekend.
    This is good advice; the only thing I would add is that if you use the main Trainsplit site (and not an affiliate such as the one you link to) there will not be a £1 booking fee applied; the only fee charged would be 10% of the saving... if there is a saving (no saving = no fee), so it's basically £1 cheaper.
  • Probably the cheapest train will be London Waterloo to Cardiff Central via Salisbury £61.50 return. It's cheaper than the Swindon line as it's a slower train.
    Hope that helps.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport