National Trust

Options

Comments

• MABLE
    MABLE Posts: 4,080 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    rajeshk4u wrote: »
    I am all for Money Saving, but I am not sure if I will comfortable about using some of the options suggested, especially as these are not-for-profit organisation.....

I'm all for saving money and this is a legitimate of doing just that.
  • jonboy321
    jonboy321 Posts: 28 Forumite
    Options
    I agree. I think the National Trust itself is good value £10.50 a month for a family membership seems very reasonable.

The fact is, that these places need to be paid for, if you aren't prepared to even pay a tenner to support a nice park, gardens or house that you are enjoying then that is beyond tight.
  • Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    Options
    jonboy321 wrote: »
    I agree. I think the National Trust itself is good value £10.50 a month for a family membership seems very reasonable.

The fact is, that these places need to be paid for, if you aren't prepared to even pay a tenner to support a nice park, gardens or house that you are enjoying then that is beyond tight.
    You forget this is a money saving website & forum!

Being "tight" doesn't come into it!!
  • lisyloo
    lisyloo Posts: 29,615 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    jonboy321 wrote: »

No one is stopping you making a voluntary donation if you wish or forcing you to take advantage of any offer/loop holes.

These places shouldn’t make offers if they don’t want people to take advantage of them, so no sympathy for a professionally run organsation.

Personally I use my own judgment and sometimes donate where it’s good value/not for profit or they are doing good work.
  • knightstyle
    knightstyle Posts: 6,990 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    It really annoys me that those of us with few NT places near to visit pay the same as those who live down South and have lots.
    Plus the NZ membership we got definitely does not cover parking and we have to pay £5 even for a short stop for a pic-nic.
  • Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    Options
    Make the most of your current NZ membership - you won'tbe happy when you see the renewal price!!
  • cubegame
    cubegame Posts: 2,042 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I can normally manage to blag free parking at manned sites with the Maltese card. You just need to ask at the entrance; most staff will happily give you a parking pass.
  • SALOPMAN
    SALOPMAN Posts: 521 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    I get very cross when I see people not trying to support National Trust but as long as the loopholes are there people will and do take advantage, we always go with the Senior Rate with Scottish NT as at about 79 quid for 2 seniors a year we feel we are doing our bit but still getting a bargain. My biggest gripe with any NT is the exhorbitant prices of food and drink - lower your prices guys and profit levels and more will be sold and more will go into the overall coffers of any NT.
    Better to light a candle than to curse the darkness. :beer:
  • Undervalued
    Undervalued Posts: 8,852 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    SALOPMAN wrote: »
    I get very cross when I see people not trying to support National Trust but as long as the loopholes are there people will and do take advantage, we always go with the Senior Rate with Scottish NT as at about 79 quid for 2 seniors a year we feel we are doing our bit but still getting a bargain. My biggest gripe with any NT is the exhorbitant prices of food and drink - lower your prices guys and profit levels and more will be sold and more will go into the overall coffers of any NT.

So you "get very cross" but then do it yourself anyway? Or am I misunderstanding and you live in Scotland?

Interesting comment about the "exorbitant" food and drink prices. I tend to agree but I tend to feel that about many cafes etc. The largest NT property near me has a huge cafe / restaurant which is accessible without paying to go into the property. It always seems to be packed despite the prices!
  • roddydogs
    roddydogs Posts: 7,478 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Being in the Scottish nt is a loophole if you dont live there?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure