Vw auto hold fault - do I have rights?

Comments

• DUTR
    DUTR Posts: 12,958 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    yes wearing seatbelt, I did put that in my post.

I am definitely not "flooring the accelerator" it's a 2.0L tdi, I suspect if I floored the accelerator that I would have ended up going through my front door by now!?

One technician did replicate the problem whilst on a test drive with me (him driving it) and told me there was a fault... then when someone else spoke to me no one had any recognition of it.

The family member that works at another garage which is part of the Volkswagen group said there is a problem with them (he's a head mechanic and has experienced the problem himself on a few other cars (seat and vw's) they are having to fob people off and blame their "driving style" as they simply don't know how to fix it but are obviously keeping it quiet!! There has been a recall (46G7) (google it and you will see im not the only person experiencing a fault) this was written in my service book. Like I said I've been driving the car daily since we bought it, there are days when it is completely fine and days where every time I try to move off it won't budge without a load of faffing that shouldn't have to be done. Yes I could probably drive it without the auto hold on (it does still stick sometimes when I do it manually) but why should I? I paid a lot of money for the car which if the problem persists is going to have a broken clutch and faulty breaks!

Well if the insider has said there is a recall and you have the bulletin, then this should be adopted at the next service, the selling dealership does not have to deal with it any authorised agent can do it. SO I'm not sure where the not fit for purpose etc comes into it, one of the complaints on the other forum was that the brakes were grabby and jerky pull off, it transpired it was the drivers not using the sytem as the designer had intended, also if the door is open the brake won't disengage.
    Perhaps you are misinterpretting what the actual fault is?
    From what you describe, the brakes are not releasing (sticking caliper?) not that the AH is faulty?
  • Vw informed me of the recall and performed a software update which should "fix" the issue, it hasn't it's made it worse than it was before I took the car in!

I'm sorry I'm a woman, the recall was for the electronic parking brake not the auto hold! There's a problem with something so maybe it's the EPB since it still gets stuck with auto hold switched off.

The not fit for purpose comes in when there's a fault with the car I.e the brakes that cannot be fixed, does it not?

Thanks for the help anyway I was looking for advice of what route to go down to try and get a safer car, not people to disagree with me when Vw have issued a recall which was supposed to fix a problem (that some people on here think doesn't exist).

I don't often drive with the doors open!
  • DUTR
    Vw informed me of the recall and performed a software update which should "fix" the issue, it hasn't it's made it worse than it was before I took the car in!

I'm sorry I'm a woman, the recall was for the electronic parking brake not the auto hold! There's a problem with something so maybe it's the EPB since it still gets stuck with auto hold switched off.

The not fit for purpose comes in when there's a fault with the car I.e the brakes that cannot be fixed, does it not?

Thanks for the help anyway I was looking for advice of what route to go down to try and get a safer car, not people to disagree with me when Vw have issued a recall which was supposed to fix a problem (that some people on here think doesn't exist).

I don't often drive with the doors open!

It seems you want people to tell you what you want to hear, You say VW are aware of a fault so then they have a recall proceedure and technicians to investigate and confirm if there is a warranty claim.
    You say you want advice on which route to persue, however so far the readers simply don't agree that the route to take is for a refund, why not sell the car and buy another?
    Two problems sold in one transaction.
    As for driving with the door open?..... if the dorr switch was faulty and the ECU 'thinks the door is open then the brake won't disengage.
  • Geoff1963
    Geoff1963 Posts: 1,088 Forumite
    If the feature only behaves properly with certain conditions ( seat belt on, doors closed etc. ) maybe the defect is in those signals. Perhaps more likely, if it was initially OK. Some of those features might not have an obvious indication ( warning light / chimes etc. ) or perhaps the brakes ECU is more critical of a borderline signal.

If someone senior in the dealership can drive it OK, that might not mean the OP is using it wrong ; but perhaps there is a way to coax it into working properly.
    I'd recommend searching VW owner forums.
  • DUTR
    Geoff1963 wrote: »
    If the feature only behaves properly with certain conditions ( seat belt on, doors closed etc. ) maybe the defect is in those signals. Perhaps more likely, if it was initially OK. Some of those features might not have an obvious indication ( warning light / chimes etc. ) or perhaps the brakes ECU is more critical of a borderline signal.

If someone senior in the dealership can drive it OK, that might not mean the OP is using it wrong ; but perhaps there is a way to coax it into working properly.
    I'd recommend searching VW owner forums.

I have a MK7 Golf with EPB and AH, I am indeed on other forums for VW, and yes some complained that the brakes were grabby, however it transpires that they expected the brakes to disengage instantaneously, if I'm say at traffic lights, as te lights change simply tap the accelerator and then proceed as usual, it's 2nd nature to me now and is still easier quicker than the previous handbrake handle method.
    Any car of any marque can and will develop faults, however it's when the unkowledgeable percieves that they know more than the mfrs chain and the only resolve is for a refund is where things get disappointing. :o
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    edited 8 July 2017 at 1:45PM
    Vw informed me of the recall and performed a software update which should "fix" the issue, it hasn't it's made it worse than it was before I took the car in!

A software update is not a recall.
    VW have issued four recalls in the last year, which may affect your Tiguan - but none of them are related to the electronic parking brake.

Unfortunately, they cannot easily be linked to directly - you will need to search for them yourself at http://www.dft.gov.uk/vosa/apps/recalls/default.asp
    They cover child locks (DVSA ref R/2016/145, VW ref 58C9), seats (DVSA ref R/2016/272, VW ref 72F9), lights (DVSA ref R/2017/040, VW ref 97CH), and airbags (DVSA ref R/2017/079, VW ref 69P4).
    Saying "the brakes cannot be fixed" is a tad disingenuous. You are not going to die a fiery death when they simply fail to work. The problem may be a simple mechanical one on your car, or it may be a software issue affecting what is ultimately a frippery - but it is a minor inconvenience, rather than a safety problem.

To take advantage of your statutory rights, you will need to first ask VW to take the car back for a refund - which you don't appear to have done yet. That refund will need to make allowance for the use you have had from the car. If they refuse, then you return the car to them anyway, and take them to court to request the refund. You will need to show that the problem renders the entire car itself unfit for purpose. Since you can disable the relatively minor feature in question with a simple button-press, that may be difficult, and you will be without the use of the car as the court case progresses. Since you are saying that the car is unusable, this should not be an issue...
  • Then they shouldn't use the word recall which they have several times! Can you blame me for being confused? They even wrote it in the service book with the recall number ? That is helpful information thank you.
  • Geoff1963
    You are not going to die a fiery death when they simply fail to work.
    Hmmmnnnn . . . .
  • DUTR
    Then they shouldn't use the word recall which they have several times! Can you blame me for being confused? They even wrote it in the service book with the recall number ? That is helpful information thank you.

OP I done a search on a Tiguan forum and read this

"Yep gotta agree about the parking brake, can be a ball ache.
    BUT one thing you must remember is to depress the clutch pedal all the way to the floor before selecting the gear and then release the pedal as normal.
    Any half hearted press (which I'm guilty of) and the brake will NOT release.
    Result, as I have posted in other discussions is, a back end dip, once twice and even three time before it clicks in to FLOOR THE B****y CLUTCH PEDAL laugh.gif pull away with red face and guffaws from the driver behind me (watched him in the mirror icon_redface.gif )"
  • Geoff1963
    depress the clutch pedal all the way to the floor
    Some manual gearbox cars have a starter motor inhibit, based on the clutch not being depressed ; which similarly means "to the floor", to ensure there is no mechanical connection.

The clutch position for permitting drive-away brake release, will probably be based on a switch. If that switch does nothing else, an intermittent failure would have no other symptom. If it is working as designed, clutch pedal to the floor is the necessary workaround, which the OP will probably have to live with until they change vehicle, and brand.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure