cheapest way to get married abroad

Comments

• sad_gills_fan
    sad_gills_fan Posts: 151 Forumite
    I have 2 colleagues who are both getting married (not to each other) in Turkey at the Blue Lagoon. Apparently it's THE place to be hitched now and very cheap.

I haven't been myself so can't comment on Turkey as a holiday place, but you're pretty sure of good weather, a short flight and if you did want to invite others, it won't break the bank for them.

Try these links .. https://www.chiff.com/recreation/beaches/turkey-beaches.htm
    https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g312737-d555770-Reviews-Blue_Lagoon-Oludeniz_Mugla.html

The 2nd link actually shows a review of someones marriage ceremony there.

Have a good time wherever you go and remember that certain countries ask that you are there for at least a certain number of days before registering the ceremony. I got married in Nashville and had to be there 3 days before going to the civic hall place.

Best wishes
    Ken Livingstone is my mother
  • lolamancity
    lolamancity Posts: 203 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Hi,

I got married in Cyprus last year, and after doing a lot of searching about before hand, came to the conclusion that all-in, its probably the easiest and cheapest place to get wed in the world.

The actual wedding costs about £200 (a bit less..i cant remember exactly) We had a flashy two week stay in an all-inclusive hotel (so, you could stay cheaper if you wanted...rent an appartment or something..and have your honeymoon night in a flashy hotel) I had an averagely priced wedding dress and all the trimmings, he had a lovely hired wedding suit, we had 10 family members come over with us (no friends were invited...that was the whole reason of doing it abroad for us... we've got far too many friends and we didnt want a mahoooosive wedding in the Uk that we'd be paying off for 60 years!) we had a lovely reception/meal with our guests in a gorgeous local restaurant... the whole shebang cost us about £3.5k (and the overwhelming majority of that price was the actual holiday) We went through Olympic holidays.... if i did it again i would def NOT do it through a holiday company, i would organise it all myself (i pretty much did all that anyway!) They organised my wedding day transport and gorgeous flowers, cake etc etc. There is a brilliant website dedicated just to Cyprus weddings... it has everything you need to know about organising your own wedding in Cyprus, let me know if you want the address.
  • We are considering Jamaica, Dominican Rep or Mexico in 2009....have never wanted big white wedding thing. My mates UK wedding cost 20k which I think is extortionate...am looking to do it for about 5k, and have a big party when we come home. mates of mine got married in Vegas and then had black tie candlelit party in a castle with a tribute band...was a fab night. they only took 2 people with them on their wedding/honeymoon - the best man and bridesmaid whom they paid for.
  • samsil
    samsil Posts: 256 Forumite
    hi. we got married in las vegas (due to big pressure of big wedding in the uk and rows over who is footing the bill.........)
    Its not everyones cup of tea but we had a wild time.
    flights are relatively cheap considering the distance. (around 300.00)
    accommodation is dirt cheap for the quality (we stayed at the flamingo which is opposite caesars but around the price of a uk travelodge, great pools great location).
    16 friends came with us, they paid for themselves as their holiday that year. budget ceremony at the little white chapel (around 200.00 pounds with vhs video and 16 photos- they just give you the film to get developed yourself.lush private reception in private dining room at 'top of the world' at the stratosphere with AMAZING views. we footed the bill for all the champers and food for the whole night, cost around 800 pounds to a grand for the 18 of us, if i remember. on the morning of the wedding the guys went bungee jumping (hmmmmmm) and the girls went to a spa .....cheap cheap cheap!
    I would totally recommend it but like i say its what you fancy.
    we had a party when we got back, for the 150 people that would have been at the 'original' uk wedding, this evening reception alone cost 3 grand which was probably more than vegas......spends included!!!
    good luck and enjoy!
  • taylor1_2
    taylor1_2 Posts: 32 Forumite
    Hi we were on holiday in Turkey Olu Deniz and a couple got married on the lagoon she said it was lovely got married at sunset and she said it was reasonably priced.
  • evilwitch
    evilwitch Posts: 195 Forumite
    we're getting married in vegas on 15th June. Marriage ceremony is $199. License is $55. ministers tip is $50 so is a couple of hundred UKP

We were going there anyway as part of a round the world trip we're doing so haven't got the flights factored into the cost.

Will be just me and Oh and the 2 kids. Fantastic. Can't wait now
  • seven-day-weekend
    seven-day-weekend Posts: 36,755 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Why not get married in a registry office and then have a nice holiday? The actual wedding won't cost more than a couple of hundred!

Or failing that, as someone else said, Gibraltar or Gretna.

I personally would consider even five grand spent on a wedding a waste of money, let alone £20k. It will be just as legal if you pay less!
    (AKA HRH_MUngo)
    Member #10 of £2 savers club
    Imagine someone holding forth on biology whose only knowledge of the subject is the Book of British Birds, and you have a rough idea of what it feels like to read Richard Dawkins on theology: Terry Eagleton
  • Glad
    Glad Posts: 18,864 Senior Ambassador
    Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Hi, Martin’s asked me to post this in these circumstances: I’ve asked Board Guides to move threads if they’ll receive a better response elsewhere(please see this rule) so this post/thread has been moved to another board, where it should get more replies. If you have any questions about this policy please email [EMAIL="abuse@moneysavingexpert.com"]abuse@moneysavingexpert.com[/EMAIL].
    I am a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Wales, Small Biz MoneySaving, In My Home (includes DIY) MoneySaving, and Old style MoneySaving boards. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • saxy1
    saxy1 Posts: 453 Forumite
    I am getting married in Greece in 4 weeks:eek:

Total cost including outfits, accommodation, legal docs etc is about £2000.
  • gabyjane
    gabyjane Posts: 3,541 Forumite
    Hi we are getting married on a cruise ship next year. The wedding package is £900ish and the cruise is £1800 for us 2 and our daughter. We will be on the boat for 13 days and visit 9 ports which i cant wait for!! We have also manage to get a couple of friedns and my sister to come without it costing too much for them as the boat includes most things.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure