Laundrette's tumble dryer burned my washing

Comments

• angryparcel
    angryparcel Posts: 926 Forumite
    photome wrote: »
    I a man not sure all commercial dryers do have thermostats, if you mean a cut out
    i dont think they do.

cant see any mention of thermostat on this one

https://www.catering-appliance.com//samsung-dv431aep-gd212-dryer
  • naedanger
    naedanger Posts: 3,102 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    photome wrote: »
    I a man not sure all commercial dryers do have thermostats, if you mean a cut out

I mean how else does it maintain a temperature setting without one?
  • naedanger
    i dont think they do.

cant see any mention of thermostat on this one

https://www.catering-appliance.com//samsung-dv431aep-gd212-dryer

It says it has 5 temperature settings. How does the dryer maintain one of these settings if it doesn't have a thermostat?
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 12 June 2017 at 8:35PM
    naedanger wrote: »
    I mean how else does it maintain a temperature setting without one?
    If there was no automatic cut out then the machine would eventually burst into flames. Of course the machine is prevented from overheating by a thermostat.

The main safety feature in launderettes etc is that the machine cools down when the money runs out, but domestic dryers don't routinely burn clothes so why would a (far more robust) industrial one?

The OP of this thread claims that his sheets "discoloured", but that's not the same as being burned.
  • angryparcel
    naedanger wrote: »
    It says it has 5 temperature settings. How does the dryer maintain one of these settings if it doesn't have a thermostat?
    some have digital sensors these days
  • [Deleted User]
    they could buy a new once every other month

It would be one heck of an outlay if launderettes routinely had to replace their machines once every other month!

At that rate of failure, I'd expect complete closure of the business before new machines.

The machines may be in need of maintenance, but I sincerely doubt they will be replaced en masse.
    some have digital sensors
    How do you think those work? They are linked to a thermostat.
  • photome
    photome Posts: 16,360 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Bake Off Boss!
    If there was no automatic cut out then the machine would eventually burst into flames. Of course the machine is prevented from overheating by a thermostat.

The main safety feature in launderettes etc is that the machine cools down when the money runs out, but domestic dryers don't routinely burn clothes so why would a (far more robust) industrial one?

The OP of this thread claims that his sheets "discoloured", but that's not the same as being burned.

You seem to be very sure that all commercial dryers do have thermostats to prevent overheating, As posted I am fairly sure that not all do
  • naedanger
    some have digital sensors these days

Digital electronic thermostats do exist but they are still thermostats.

The thermostat is simply the component that ensures the temperature is maintained at a certain setting. Without one the machine operator would need to keep switching the heating element on and off to maintain the desired setting. The machine does not just keep the heating component on indefinitely. It switches it on and off automatically to maintain the correct temperature.

By the way if you look at the exploded view (see link below) of the machine you linked to previously, and search for "thermostat", you will see it contains a thermostat.

https://www.catering-appliance.com/product-pdf/5fe308e87ef64516149b445fa90ba961/samsung-dv431aep-exploded-diagram.pdf
  • angryparcel
    It would be one heck of an outlay if launderettes routinely had to replace their machines once every other month!

At that rate of failure, I'd expect complete closure of the business before new machines.
    No the OP says the launderette always has 5 out of the 10 machines out of order, so spending 5 to 10k in one go will be a lot to find, but say if they can replace 1 every 3 month until all 10 are replaced.
    in a launderette dryers and washers have a shorter lifespan to a domestic washer or dryer as they are operating 8 hrs at least 5 days a week
  • [Deleted User]
    No the OP says the launderette always has 5 out of the 10 machines out of order, so spending 5 to 10k in one go will be a lot to find, but say if they can replace 1 every 3 month until all 10 are replaced.
    I'm not sure you appreciate how (small) businesses work.

Where do you anticipate the money is going to come from to replace all those machines in such a short space of time?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure