Commuter rail fares to increase by up to 2.8% next year - MSE News

Options
Commuters across Great Britain will see train season ticket costs rise by up to 2.8% from next year...
Read the full story:
'Commuter rail fares to increase by up to 2.8% next year'
OfficialStamp.gif
Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply.

Comments

203846930 Posts: 4,708 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    If more people lived in the same town as they work then there would be no price rise to worry about and it would also cut down on the amount of fuel burned adding to greenhouse gasses.

but what do I know, I am but a simple dog
  • dekaspace
    dekaspace Posts: 5,705 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    If more people lived in the same town as they work then there would be no price rise to worry about and it would also cut down on the amount of fuel burned adding to greenhouse gasses.

Not that simple, rents/mortgages in many areas like that are more expensive. That and it relies on if you ever lost job you would have to move each time.
  • lisyloo
    lisyloo Posts: 29,615 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options

I’m sure loads (millions) of people would prefer not to commute.
    House prices (and rents) in London are very expensive and that’s why people live further out.
    The same is true to a lesser extent of many cities.

It’s easy to just say “move north” but not so easy if yOu’re an oxbridge professor, Qc or hedge fund manager or even a London bus driver married to a nurse who can’t find driving and nursing vacancies in the same town.

I’m sure millions would do it if it was that easy.
    DH spent a year looking for work locally before moving, so I don’t think its something people take lightly.
  • martindow
    martindow Posts: 10,218 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options

As a dog you should think yourself lucky that your owners are not as environmentally aware as you! Children are at risk too according to this article.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2018/jun/12/cut-out-meat-pets-and-kids-to-save-the-earth
  • Marvel1
    Marvel1 Posts: 7,172 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    II feel a bit of a suck it up, it's happening, it's the going rate.

Fr example on the Home Buying, Renting and and Selling board, someone posts landlord is increasing the rent by £30-£50 a month, some will say well if that's the going rate then tough luck pay it. This is no different.
  • lisyloo
    lisyloo Posts: 29,615 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Marvel1 wrote: »
    II feel a bit of a suck it up, it's happening, it's the going rate.

Fr example on the Home Buying, Renting and and Selling board, someone posts landlord is increasing the rent by £30-£50 a month, some will say well if that's the going rate then tough luck pay it. This is no different.

Usually but not always.
    If my landlord wanted to up the rent, id look around at the alternatives.
    I might come to the conclusion that I have to suck it up, but it could also be a trigger to change something.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure