ScotRail scraps plans to make station toilets free - MSE News

Options
ScotRail has scrapped plans to let passengers wee for free at four of its stations...
Read the full story:
'ScotRail scraps plans to make station toilets free'
OfficialStamp.gif
Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply.

Comments

• glider3560
    glider3560 Posts: 4,115 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Why not make them free for everyone who holds a rail ticket? Replace the existing turnstiles with a ticket barrier. Toilet tickets can then be purchased for 30p if you aren't travelling by train.
  • 20SmthngSver
    Options
    Or just making it free for those who need to wee regardless?

Seriously, it's 2019. The idea of paying to go to the toilet is so archaic and old Eastern bloc. Urination and excretion, and menstruation for women, is a human body function that we can't control, void of going on hunger and thirst strike (we know how that would end)

The option to go to the toilet when you need to should be a basic human right which is free.
  • FredaJones
    FredaJones Posts: 28 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Free toilets should be in every city, town and village, paid for out of taxes.

Or are we savages?
  • atarisrocks
    Options
    If people respected public toilets the cleaning cost would not be as high as the once a hour once over and the standard start/end of day would be enough.

I used to work several places that had a public toilet and we would have to close it at least once a week due to body waste smeared on walls, in the sinks and the floors.
    At least twice a year someone would clog the system with the contents of the nappy bins and regularly rip off the fixtures from the wall.

I thought maybe it was the location or town but it was the same even when the situation changes so I can imagine station toilets will have the same issues.
  • dekaspace
    dekaspace Posts: 5,705 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    If people respected public toilets the cleaning cost would not be as high as the once a hour once over and the standard start/end of day would be enough.

I used to work several places that had a public toilet and we would have to close it at least once a week due to body waste smeared on walls, in the sinks and the floors.
    At least twice a year someone would clog the system with the contents of the nappy bins and regularly rip off the fixtures from the wall.

I thought maybe it was the location or town but it was the same even when the situation changes so I can imagine station toilets will have the same issues.

The toilet at my local subway here is used as a public toilet, and have seen just that, only last week did this stereotypical rough kid walk into laugh at staff go to toilet, come out again about a minute later shouting proudly how he had kept the toilet seat down and it was covered and how the staff would have to clean it up!
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,861 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    edited 9 August 2019 at 12:06PM
    Options
    ^ This ^
    The council closed all the local toilets so the community took them over. Sinks and pipes ripped off walls, torched, urinals smashed, pan filled with loo rolls, !!!! all over the walls. They are now very close to being closed as the money, and the patience of the ordinary community spirited town folk that maintain them, is running out - one of the reasons the council were closing them. But it is nothing new. I remember way back in the 80s we stopped at a loo at the north end of the A1, inspected them before letting the kids out of the car, got back in and drove on crossed legged !
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure