PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

is home baking cheaper?

Comments

• Zziggi
    Zziggi Posts: 2,485 Forumite
    Chipps wrote:
    Back to the subject of custard: here's how I make "instant" custard!?!
    2 tbsp custard powder, 1 or 2 tbsp sugar, 4 1/2 tbsp dried milk powder. Make a paste with some cold water, then make up to 1 pint with very hot water from the kettle, stirring like mad, then put it in the microwave for a minute or two to finish off. Tastes like it's been made with milk properly, but much quicker.
    Oooh thanks! Must remember this one....
  • Curry_Queen
    Curry_Queen Posts: 5,589 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Chipps wrote:
    I think its supposed to be the sludgy stuff, at least that's what it usually is, with the top browned and spongelike! It is pretty much different every time because the consistency depends on the type of fruit & how much juice it has.
    It's not an elegant dessert!!!!!!! but tastes nice & is very quick & easy to make, and isn't too fussy what fruit you put in - just whatever happens to be laying around in the house! Good with custard.

Ahhhhh this might explain where I'm going wrong then as I was cooking it through until a knife came out clean, so obviously I'd overcooked it :o

Makes much more sense now :)
    "An Ye Harm None, Do What Ye Will"
    ~
    It is that what you do, good or bad,
    will come back to you three times as strong!

• kittiwoz
    kittiwoz Posts: 1,321 Forumite
    We rarely had pudding when I was a kid and I always saw it as an unnecessary luxury but I've just recently realised that having pudding can save you money because you don't need to make so much for the main course and pudding ingredients are mainly cheap.
  • r.mac_2
    r.mac_2 Posts: 4,746 Forumite
    what a great thread. I don't tend to eat pudding as such, but love to bake and love eating cakes even more than making them! It got me thinking - what does it cost me to make a cake.

I use:

4oz flour - 4p,
    4oz marg - 26p,
    4oz sugar - 15p,
    2 eggs ( iuse free range) - 28p

jam for middle (free as HM by my mother!)
    total: 73p

as I am on my own this will last me most of the week or just the weekend if i am being a piggy! I am pleasantly surprised by the low cost.

I would love to eat puddings but as it's just me i find that cooking things for one is difficult - are there any suggestions for good puddings for one????
    aless02 wrote: »
    r.mac, you are so wise and wonderful, that post was lovely and so insightful!
    I can't promise that all my replies will illicit this response :p
  • This is very interesting...... as yesterday I made my own crumpets, scotch pancakes and the butter to put on them too!!

Although, not sure if the butter is cheaper to make, but the pancakes and crumpets are definitely cheaper and much superior to shop bought.
    £2 Saver Club (started 24th March '06) going towards No. 2 Son Cub trip!!
    20p Saver Club (started 11th April '06) Grand Total = £135.00 Paid to Akela
  • billieboy_2
    billieboy_2 Posts: 1,361 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    This is very interesting...... as yesterday I made my own crumpets, scotch pancakes and the butter to put on them too!!

Although, not sure if the butter is cheaper to make, but the pancakes and crumpets are definitely cheaper and much superior to shop bought.
    You knew this was coming! ;) What's your recipe for crumpets?
  • jordylass
    jordylass Posts: 1,092 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    I made a load of butter when cream was going cheap 6p for a large carton (got about 30 tubs and froze the butter) and just coming to the end of it, gone into all my cakes and bread machine. I'm on the lookout for cheap cream again now, hopefully there'll be a glut after Easter.
    There is nothing either good or bad but thinking makes it so.
  • This recipe is the best. I have tried Gary Rhodes, but can't do it, there's something about his recipes!!! You do really need some egg rings (but I made do with cookie cutters) and a heavy pan/griddle for crumpets though - I bought egg rings yesterday in John Lewis yesterday £4 for 2.

Make sure when doing this recipe that you do what she says, 'cos I thought I'd be clever when heating the milk and put the yeast and sugar in the jug first, but if you do as she says and put the milk in the jug first and then stir in the yeast and sugar it will make the most fantastic, light mixture and the crumpets are fab - I can't tell you how much better they taste than shop bought. Hope this helps!!

http://www.deliaonline.com/recipes/home-made-crumpets,1587,RC.html
    £2 Saver Club (started 24th March '06) going towards No. 2 Son Cub trip!!
    20p Saver Club (started 11th April '06) Grand Total = £135.00 Paid to Akela
  • saving-grace
    saving-grace Posts: 284 Forumite
    r.mac wrote:
    :

I would love to eat puddings but as it's just me i find that cooking things for one is difficult - are there any suggestions for good puddings for one????

Do you have a freezer? If so you could make a fruit crumble/jam or syrup sponge pudding/cake/Eve's pudding and divide it up into single serving portions and freeze.
    Or freeze slices of your cake so you don't get bored eating the same cake all week!
    Or when you make your cake mixture, divide it up, add dried fruit to one part, choc chips to another, cocoa to another etc and then bake in paper cake cases for about 15 mins so you have a variety of little cakes. Eat on their own or add custard if you want a more substantial pudding.
  • ms_london
    ms_london Posts: 2,852 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Sometimes it might not be cheaper, but at least you know exactly what has gone into it & there are no added preservatives etc.

xx
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport