PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Shop well for less 'recipes'

Hi there,
I was wondering if anyone of you lovely people had written down the cleaning recipes and the hair conditioner recipe from the programme Shop Well For Less?
I would be most grateful if you have and you could share with me :)
Thank-you for reading <3

Comments

• Thank- you :)

I am also hoping to find the recipes for the dishwasher powder and cleaning liquids ;)
  • euronorris
    euronorris Posts: 12,247 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post PPI Party Pooper
    If this was a recent episode, can you not play back on iplayer?

I haven't seen the latest episode. Did they give any indication of how long it would 'keep'?
    February wins: Theatre tickets
  • hitchman
    hitchman Posts: 1 Newbie
    edited 16 August 2019 at 1:39PM
    2 measures of Borax Substitute, 2 measures of Washing Soda, 1 measure of citric acid and 1 measure of salt. £15 would be enough to make 2.5kg of the stuff. All the ingredients are available on Amazon. I've heard that if you're doing this you should either add spirit vinegar to the rinse aid, or occasionally pour some vinegar into the machine and run it empty (pause the machine and pour the vinegar in halfway through the wash). I suspect a pack of washing machine cleaner would do the same thing, but vinegar makes the whole thing Eco/green :)
  • Fire_Fox
    Fire_Fox Posts: 26,026 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 16 August 2019 at 2:01PM
    Banana, olive oil, honey and glycerin. A tablespoon of the liquid ingredients blended.

Too rich for my hair unfortunately.

Cosmetic science 101 FAIL: waste of food, license fee and 'researcher' salary. Plenty of free full text studies and science-y blogs online. Hair is dead, it cannot digest food ingredients!

Fundamental ingredients of any true hair conditioner are cationic surfactants and fatty alcohols. These do their best in under half an hour, accelerated by a little body heat (wrap head).

Coconut oil fatty acids are scientifically proven to penetrate damaged hair better than olive oil (three classic, well known studies).

Food recipe sounds more expensive and less effective than a basic commercial conditioner, claggy and difficult to wash off.

Mashed banana will thicken the mix but neither penetrate nor patch repair the surface (molecule size and polarity). Could well reduce combability so poor conditioning agent.

Honey and glycerin are humectants (water attracting). Honey particularly tends to pouf up curly/ wavy/ frizz prone/ porous hair. Honey is a devisive ingredient in the curly world.

Cationic surfactants and fatty alcohols also act as emulsifiers so aiding the efficient removal of excess coconut oil when massaging and rinsing.

HTH.
    Declutterbug-in-progress.⭐️⭐️⭐️ ⭐️⭐️
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Banana and honey are a great dessert combination, I would save the olive oil for dressing salads and glycerin for royal icing :)
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • PipneyJane
    PipneyJane Posts: 4,055 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Fire_Fox wrote: »
    Cosmetic science 101 FAIL: waste of food, license fee and 'researcher' salary. Plenty of free full text studies and science-y blogs online. Hair is dead, it cannot digest food ingredients!

Fundamental ingredients of any true hair conditioner are cationic surfactants and fatty alcohols. These do their best in under half an hour, accelerated by a little body heat (wrap head).

Coconut oil fatty acids are scientifically proven to penetrate damaged hair better than olive oil (three classic, well known studies).

Food recipe sounds more expensive and less effective than a basic commercial conditioner, claggy and difficult to wash off.

Mashed banana will thicken the mix but neither penetrate nor patch repair the surface (molecule size and polarity). Could well reduce combability so poor conditioning agent.

Honey and glycerin are humectants (water attracting). Honey particularly tends to pouf up curly/ wavy/ frizz prone/ porous hair. Honey is a devisive ingredient in the curly world.

Cationic surfactants and fatty alcohols also act as emulsifiers so aiding the efficient removal of excess coconut oil when massaging and rinsing.

HTH.

Fire Fox, I just wanted to say how much I love your scientific approach and myth busting. I appreciate it every time you do this.

- Pip
    "Be the type of woman that when you get out of bed in the morning, the devil says 'Oh crap. She's up.' "

2024 Fashion on the Ration Challenge 66 coupons,
  • Barbeduk
    Barbeduk Posts: 869 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    I've just rewatched as I couldn't find the recipe anywhere (although there are similar on the internet). It's 2 cups each of borax substitute and soda crystals, 1 cup each of citric acid and salt.
    Make £2020 in 2020 £178.81/£2020
    SPC 13 #51
    Feb Grocery Challenge £4.68/£200
  • The dishwasher powder recipe- I’ve just tried making it
    Wasn’t expecting a reaction like yeast bubbling away in a dough
    But that’s what we’ve got! It’s rising & knocking back as a white bubbly mix
    Only dry powder went in!
    Had to separate into two bowls to stop overflow lol
    Not entirely sure how this will work...
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    JulesT wrote: »
    The dishwasher powder recipe- I’ve just tried making it
    Wasn’t expecting a reaction like yeast bubbling away in a dough
    But that’s what we’ve got! It’s rising & knocking back as a white bubbly mix
    Only dry powder went in!
    Had to separate into two bowls to stop overflow lol
    Not entirely sure how this will work...
    It sounds like a complete waste of time, effort and money :o

But at least you've saved someone the same pain, that's what OS is all about!
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • I’m a couple of hours later and have researched the recipe for dishwasher powder further

One website said to use one of 2 methods
    Method 1 : mix all bar citric acid otherwise it sets it hard
    Method 2 : mix all & add white rice to help absorb moisture and prevent setting

As I’d already mixed it all together and decanted it into 2 jars I rushed back to it, sure enough it was starting to set.

So I roped in my other half and we tried scraping it all back into the mixing bowl to mix it all again

One baking tray lined with a silicone liner later & we’ve spread it all out like a giant toffee slab (it’s almost a self levelling compound) and we’ll wait for it to dry out a bit more and then score it into squares.

It might just work still!

Fingers crossed
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family