Primark is it a good shop?

Options
I 'm thinking about making a trip to Primark,the nearet to me is half an hour on a train,so I would like to know peoples thoughts on Primark's stock before I decide if I should make the trip.
I'm a carer so on a limited budget as I look after my mum,who I would like to get new clothes for,she's bed bound and so I would like non fussy tops,cotton not woolen so easier washed,long sleeved and warmer for the winter but not too thick,I suppose a polyester content would make items warmer.light weight sweaters would be ideal.I would also like to get her plain t shirts.
For myself I would like t shirts,and some long sleeved cotton t shirts.
So do they have a good range and is the quality decent enough or does the stuff fall apart and the colours fade quickly?Thanks

Comments

• Lily54
    Lily54 Posts: 79 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Primark prices have gone up quite a bit I find. Pyjamas are good, t shirts I find the material is thinner than it used to be, but then so are M&S t shirts. Lots of reductions at the moment so worth a look.
  • Browntoa
    Browntoa Posts: 49,300 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Yes , large stores have good stock

Also look at peacocks or Matalan if they are nearer
    Ex forum ambassador

Long term forum member
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,685 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    It's cheap and cheerful.
    They do have long sleeved T-shirts and a varied range of short-sleeved/sleeveless T-shirts of varying designs.
    They do these is a big range of colours.
    Priced around £2.50 IIRC.

They also do jumpers and cardigans.
    I can't really say whether any of this would be suitable for you and your Mum but my sister buys T-shirts and leggings for my 87 year old Mum from Primark.
    I'm not sure how big their sizing goes.

I usually buy my thick (opaque) tights from Primark, I find them good quality.

ETA:
    Usually any Primark I've been into - recently Leeds, Manchester, Sheffield, Derby - is heaving so they must be doing something right.
  • wilson1973
    Options
    Lily54 wrote: »
    Primark prices have gone up quite a bit I find. Pyjamas are good, t shirts I find the material is thinner than it used to be, but then so are M&S t shirts. Lots of reductions at the moment so worth a look.
    Hi thanks,I had bought t shirts from M&S from their cheap range and they were quite thin and colours faded,so I though I would give Primark a shot the same thing may happen but at least they would be cheaper,I should give them a try
  • wilson1973
    Options
    Browntoa wrote: »
    Yes , large stores have good stock

Also look at peacocks or Matalan if they are nearer

Hi I have just search locations of Peacock and there is one in the next town that I can cycle to,I shall pop in there,thanks
  • wilson1973
    Options
    Pollycat wrote: »
    It's cheap and cheerful.
    They do have long sleeved T-shirts and a varied range of short-sleeved/sleeveless T-shirts of varying designs.
    They do these is a big range of colours.
    Priced around £2.50 IIRC.

They also do jumpers and cardigans.
    I can't really say whether any of this would be suitable for you and your Mum but my sister buys T-shirts and leggings for my 87 year old Mum from Primark.
    I'm not sure how big their sizing goes.

I usually buy my thick (opaque) tights from Primark, I find them good quality.

ETA:
    Usually any Primark I've been into - recently Leeds, Manchester, Sheffield, Derby - is heaving so they must be doing something right.
    Hi thats good and they only have to last a year at those prices and mum can get fresh stuff the next year,we are near the one in Birmingham,I have read that there are coach trips to it from across the country it's the biggest Primark in the world,they have taken over of what used to be a shopping centre called the Pavilions
  • Julio72
    Julio72 Posts: 16 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    I've had mixed opinions, the sportswear which I have purchased has lasted me really well but shirts/t shirts have all either shrunk or torn.
  • Privatekid
    Options
    Yes, although a lot if it is “throw away fashion”. They make it cheap, employing cheap labour abroad, they ship it direct to the stores cutting out the middle men and brands. They stack it high and sell it cheap. Stores are regularly full of customers that love to shop but probably don’t wear the same clothes often and can afford to throw them away.
    If, you are the sort that is trying to save the planet, global warming etc, it’s probably not going to be your first choice of store.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure