Platforms - Which should I use and How?

Options
I am 66.4 years old, still (self-employed) working and just getting to the stage that I want to stop working 7 days a week but I could retire financially (not taken state pension yet) . My wife has a good final salary pension which pays £14K per year and she is 64. When a relative died (eight years ago) my wife and I were among the very lucky beneficiaries and I was joint executor. We received about £100K. The deceased estate was largely in Shares and Building Society Term Bonds producing 5% pa and had provided more than enough (with pensions) to pay Nursing Home fees. Her late husband loved playing the stock market and had done well with his choices. He would deal through his High Street Bank – in person at his branch …. Those were the days !

As executor, I visited the office of her Stock Broker who “signed me and my wife up”!

We hold other investments and a rental property abroad (pay some tax in France) together with a flat above my small shop that produces an income - this is a mixed use property we own without encumbrance. We own our family home without encumbrance. The business has little value (though the premises are valuable and in a good condition in a (residential) desirable area - it is probable that conversion of the commercial space will be into a further two small flats which I would project manage. We also have shares held as (proper) Share Certificates from many years ago (from parents). We are indeed very fortunate with a complex financial mix but I knew/know nothing about “platforms” and ongoing charges.

The value of the estate was sold. On our proportion, we agreed we would invest through them (the Stockbrokers) in a managed way with purpose of transfer annually into an ISA wrap (year by year) Now more or less achieved. Part of the holding is held by them without advice provided and part with advice (managed) Two sets of charges.

At the start there was a fair bit of buying and selling on the managed portfolio but that has not happened for 3 years. (Not saying that is good or bad!). A couple of companies have gone up and a few more have gone down. (Think Tesco, William Hill etc but also Berkeley Group and GSK )

So, I come from a background of holding share certificates and getting some dividends. (almost forgetting about them) but not paying out for holding the shares/certificates. Now I see a lot of charges from the Stockbroker each year for what I perceive as not a lot and (no doubt) there will be exit charges.

I have Cash ISA’s that I would also like to feed into shares over time. I want to keep the existing Shares within the ISA wrap. Rightly or wrongly, I want to move everything from the Stock Broker and “park” without the high costs.

With the cash ISA’s there will be about £230K in total. And we have savings accounts and PSB for urgent money if required. I am not likely to deal very often and the spread would be between about 20 companies. Because we have always worked hard, saved hard and spent little and were not wealthy growing up, my mind set is not likely to change substantially and I am “frugal”. I am trying to change but in my world … Why have a new car when the old one gets you to the shops and the Council Tip!

So (at last) here is the Money Saving Advice I need (thanks for reading)…..Where should I go with the Stock Broker Account and …. The Mechanics of How?

Comments

• Alexland
    Alexland Posts: 9,653 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    If the question is which stock brokers are low cost for a large ISA balance then consider iWeb (run by Halifax Share Dealing) at £25 setup, free transfer then £5 per trade. They will hold your assets in their nominee account for no ongoing charge and can be setup to automatically reinvest dividends.

https://www.iweb-sharedealing.co.uk/products/self-select-stocks-and-shares-isa.asp

Alternatively there is Jarvis X-O however I expect they will work out slightly more expensive for your situation in the long run.

Although you have some diversification across 20 companies it might be easier, better and and more beneficial to just buy a good low cost multi asset or global passive tracker fund depending on how much risk exposure you want to take. You can get access to funds on iWeb on the same fee structure but not X-O.

Cash products are most suitable for any money you are likely to need in the next 5 years.

Alex
  • cattie
    cattie Posts: 8,841 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    My financial situation is a long way from yours alas, but becoming aware of the fees taken by the platform & my ifa (non advisable basis) I'd been using for some years, I too came here onto mse for advise. It was pointed out to me that iweb would work out most economical for me, especially as I wouldn't be doing a lot of trades.

My switch to them is quite recent & I've been quite impressed with them so far & appreciate the text messages & emails I get to confirm things & on the 2 occasions I've needed to phone with a query, phone has been answered promptly & staff very helpful.
    The bigger the bargain, the better I feel.

I should mention that there's only one of me, don't confuse me with others of the same name.
  • alun4
    alun4 Posts: 491 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thank you for the replies. We were away for a few days but I have now taken time to read through the iweb details and have just completed the opening of accounts for my wife and I. Thanks again.

Our Stockbroker (WH Ireland) has told us in a general letter received this week that they are changing their charging structure. There is nothing in the letter that gives an option to move from them without charge (in the way internet providers do when they change). Am I safe to assume that they will charge us when they receive requests from iWebb ?
  • badger09
    badger09 Posts: 11,210 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    alun4 wrote: »
    Thank you for the replies. We were away for a few days but I have now taken time to read through the iweb details and have just completed the opening of accounts for my wife and I. Thanks again.

Our Stockbroker (WH Ireland) has told us in a general letter received this week that they are changing their charging structure. There is nothing in the letter that gives an option to move from them without charge (in the way internet providers do when they change). Am I safe to assume that they will charge us when they receive requests from iWebb ?

I think that's a safe assumption.

Do you know what those charges are? They could be substantial if you have shares in 20 companies. Depending on what the charges are for dealing, as opposed to stock transfer, it might be worth consolidating your holdings before the transfer.
  • alun4
    Options
    I will write to them and ask. Many thanks
  • badger09
    badger09 Posts: 11,210 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    I will write to them and ask. Many thanks

Do they not display a schedule of fees & charges when you're logged into your account?

When you've established what those fees are, if the changed charging structure is to your disadvantage, you could ask that they be waived.

Someone on here with more experience in this area might be able to advise on your chances of success, but FCA have been consulting on this recently.

https://www.fca.org.uk/news/press-releases/fca-acts-improve-competition-investment-platforms-market
  • alun4
    Options
    I have really never done much on the internet and WHI send all reports and things by post (A portfolio Valuation was in the post this morning) so they have a heading that shows the account of my wife and I. Then it splits it down.

Part of "the portfolio" in My name (managed and in an ISA wrap ISA01) Part in my wife name (managed and in an ISA wrap ISA02) and a couple of holdings which they designate G1A01 which are, I think, just held as shares/nominees? There is also "Cash" which I guess is dividend income over the years that has now become the second largest "holding" within the portfolio but my guess is not within an ISA wrap ?
    There are so many pages of graphs and charts that I find it hard to follow!
  • Alexland
    Alexland Posts: 9,653 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Our Stockbroker (WH Ireland)

WH Ireland appear to be a Wealth Manager rather than a Stockbroker.

Wealth Managers are generally the most expensive ways to invest.
  • alun4
    Options
    They were "just" stockbrokers but I think must have "evolved" and been taken over a few years ago?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure