Apple - faulty from purchase MacBook Pro, won't honour EU consumer law

Hello all,

I have a frustrating case with Apple at the moment, and the current status is that they've left me high and dry and told me that they will not resolve my issue.

The Thunderbolt ports on the machine are not reliable. These are like USB ports.

What did you buy?

A Macbook Pro, Retina, 15" laptop
When did you buy it?

Approximately April 2016
Where from?

Apple Store Regent Street
What went wrong?

Between then and now, the logic board (the main component in a laptop) has been replaced by Apple twice, under warranty. This is a major repair - there was and is no physical damage to the machine.

What are the vendors telling you?

Apple have said that, somehow, the disconnections I'm experiencing are "expected behaviour". I am now outside the normal warranty, obviously, but as it is the same issue I have faced twice before I think that it is a fault with the model of Macbook.

What solution or remedy are you looking for? (Companies may Repair / Refund / Replace)

I'd like it to be repaired so I can use my machine!

Many thanks all!–!I have heard of the EU Consumer Law possibly applying here. But from what I can see it would be Apple themselves who could approve that.

Is there any way that I could apply directly to the EU body concerned to ask that they look into it?

Comments

• JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    No that EU < directive > does not apply .

Your UK rights are under UK Consumer Regulations >> see sticky top of the page .
  • fitzrovia
    fitzrovia Posts: 14 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Thank you!– the main question is who do I speak to if the retailer is refusing to address it?

Also –!it appears to be a problem others are having. Granted, only 32 on this particular forum, but still:

ydr7deO
    https://imgur.com/ydr7deO

Thanks
  • Aylesbury_Duck
    Aylesbury_Duck Posts: 13,989 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    If the retailer is refusing to address it and you're outside Apple's warranty and they're not inclined to help the only solution is to get it fixed yourself.
  • Undervalued
    Undervalued Posts: 8,852 Forumite
    fitzrovia wrote: »
    Thank you!– the main question is who do I speak to if the retailer is refusing to address it?

Also –!it appears to be a problem others are having. Granted, only 32 on this particular forum, but still:

ydr7deO
    https://imgur.com/ydr7deO

Thanks

If going higher up with Apple doesn't resolve the problem then your only option is legal action. You would need a report from an independent expert to confirm that this in an inherent fault. Cut and pastes from forums are very unlikely to be sufficient. You can add the cost of getting the report to your claim so, providing you win, that won't cost you anything.

An amount can be deducted for the use you have had. If it is reasonable for the device to last (say) six years but an inherent fault has caused yours to fail in (say) three years you could potentially only get half of the purchase price if it is not repaired.
  • Matty36
    Matty36 Posts: 182 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    3 plus year old laptop that you've used regularly and you expect someone else to pay for the fault? Pay for it yourself
  • JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    Problem here is Apple say

< have said that, somehow, the disconnections I'm experiencing are "expected behaviour">

Then you are going to need to prove Apple are wrong .
  • Undervalued
    Undervalued Posts: 8,852 Forumite
    JJ_Egan wrote: »
    Problem here is Apple say

< have said that, somehow, the disconnections I'm experiencing are "expected behaviour">

Then you are going to need to prove Apple are wrong .

I have an ancient white MacBook (2007?) and that suffers from occasional WiFi disconnections! It always has and apparently I'm not alone by any means.

An equally ancient Fujitsu (now running Win 7) works faultlessly on the same WiFi!

And I say that as somebody who is generally an Apple fan!

I suspect Apple have a bit of a problem in this area that they don't really want to acknowledge? If so it is certainly not good and I wish you luck.
  • Recently the pSU failed in my PC. It was about ten years out of warranty. I got it replaced and rebuilt at my local PC shop. No Problem! Just cannot understand why people buy these Apple things!

Written on my iPad!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport