"Moving Around" PIP

How do they decide the distance that you are able to move in the PIP assessment ?
Do they ask you to try to walk between two markers and time you with a stopwatch /?
I understand that Dr's letters etc are ignored ......

Comments

• I have just sent my son's PIP application (he is on indefinite DLA, HRC and HRM). I have included a letter from the Lear ing Disabilities manager that gives details of evidence they have seen regarding his limited mobility during appointments and sessions there. I have also included a report from his physiotherapist, explaining that he could not continue with physio due to the regular pain and the breathlessness and fatigue that he suffered during his short physio appointments. These are consistent with his diagnoses and his previous DLA award, which I have asked the DWP to take into account. I have also explained that he wakes with pain in his joints most days, described how slow he is compared to other people (including my 85 year old mum with heart trouble), and given details of how he is affected afterwards. I included the fact that he has a NHS wheelchair and custom made insoles from the orthotics department at the local hospital.

Obviously I have no idea yet whether any of this will be taken into account.
  • You would not be asked to do a test for this at assessment, although they do make a note of how you walk from the waiting room to the assessment room and mine mentioned different aspects of this, they may also watch you walking when you leave the assessment.
  • Alice_Holt
    Alice_Holt Posts: 5,949 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    50Twuncle wrote: »
    I understand that Dr's letters etc are ignored ......

You understand incorrectly.

However, the DWP decision maker is unlikely to seek medical evidence on your behalf. It is up to you to supply the DWP with relevant evidence. (See the post from kingfisherblue @2 for sensible examples of what to send them).
    Alice Holt Forest situated some 4 miles south of Farnham forms the most northerly gateway to the South Downs National Park.
  • I have just sent my son's PIP application (he is on indefinite DLA, HRC and HRM). I have included a letter from the Lear ing Disabilities manager that gives details of evidence they have seen regarding his limited mobility during appointments and sessions there. I have also included a report from his physiotherapist, explaining that he could not continue with physio due to the regular pain and the breathlessness and fatigue that he suffered during his short physio appointments. These are consistent with his diagnoses and his previous DLA award, which I have asked the DWP to take into account. I have also explained that he wakes with pain in his joints most days, described how slow he is compared to other people (including my 85 year old mum with heart trouble), and given details of how he is affected afterwards. I included the fact that he has a NHS wheelchair and custom made insoles from the orthotics department at the local hospital.

Obviously I have no idea yet whether any of this will be taken into account.

Good luck hope it goes ok for him, do let us know.
  • 50Twuncle
    50Twuncle Posts: 10,763 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    venison wrote: »
    You would not be asked to do a test for this at assessment, although they do make a note of how you walk from the waiting room to the assessment room and mine mentioned different aspects of this, they may also watch you walking when you leave the assessment.
    I will be in a wheelchair
    How will they assess me ?
  • venison wrote: »
    Good luck hope it goes ok for him, do let us know.

Thank you. I've spent a long time filling it in and gathering (hopefully appropriate) evidence. I've sent in twelve pieces of additional information, but each one relates to the descriptors.
  • Alice_Holt
    Alice_Holt Posts: 5,949 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Thank you. I've spent a long time filling it in and gathering (hopefully appropriate) evidence. I've sent in twelve pieces of additional information, but each one relates to the descriptors.

One advantage of your thorough approach is that at an appeal (which hopefully won't be needed), it becomes so much easier to get the appropriate award.

Good luck, I hope he gets a sensible assessment.
    Alice Holt Forest situated some 4 miles south of Farnham forms the most northerly gateway to the South Downs National Park.
  • Alice_Holt wrote: »
    One advantage of your thorough approach is that at an appeal (which hopefully won't be needed), it becomes so much easier to get the appropriate award.

Good luck, I hope he gets a sensible assessment.

Thank you.

50Twuncle, the decision maker will take into account what you have written on the form, and any evidence that you have provided. I assume that the assessor will ask you a variety of questions regarding your ability to walk.
  • 50Twuncle
    50Twuncle Posts: 10,763 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Once I receive the paperwork from DWP - How long do I get to return it ?
    Because it may be a good idea to prewarn my GP before hand and get all my docs ready ....?
  • poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 17,939 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    50Twuncle wrote: »
    Once I receive the paperwork from DWP - How long do I get to return it ?
    Because it may be a good idea to prewarn my GP before hand and get all my docs ready ....?
    Once the form is received you'll need to return it within 1 month but you can ring to request an extra 14 days.

Letters from GP's aren't the best evidence.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure