EON have ruined an excellent credit rating

Comments

• DMZ
    DMZ Posts: 1 Newbie
    andyle wrote: »
    Eon have ruined my credit report with Equifax.
    This company think that they are a law unto themselves. I have requested 3 times that EON put me on a quarterly bill and three times I was told that this had been done (I have taped telephone calls to prove this). Eon to my horror kept me on a monthly bill without telling me and as such have registered 3 late payments on my credit file.

I have reported this to EON and they say 100% they are sharing my data correctly. Eon say that although they agreed to change my payments to quarterly, because they hadn't done this on their system they continued to keep me on monthly and that I should have some how know that this was the case and continued to pay monthly.

Did they not enter into a verbal agreement by telling me on three occasions that I had been swapped to quarterly billing??

I have now contacted the Ombudsman and also Watchdog and now a solicitor to try and resolve this, but it is taking time. I have requested all the data that EON hold on me and will forward this to all parties along with the taped telephone calls.

What is even more laughable is that after lodging the late payments, they then indeed sent me a quarterly bill which I paid the day I received it, and yet when checking my credit report today they have lodged a further two late payments on my report in relation to the bill that was paid instantly.

I spoke to EON and the representative stated that they hadn't dealt with my initial complaints correctly (taped telephone call) and he could see that I was on quarterly billing and that it must be a system error. I have checked my credit report and it says payment terms monthly.

Because this is now with the Ombudsman, EON are refusing to do anything with my case whilst its with the Ombudsman and so its just a waiting game whilst the Ombudsman fight this case that should have been sorted with a single phone call.

I have this week applied for a mortgage and had it declined due to the EON entries on my Equifax credit file. My Experian credit file is 999 Excellent and I have never missed a payment in my life and so I find it criminal that such a poorly organised company should be allowed to ruin peoples credit files and people lives as a consequence.

I hope that BBC WatchDog decide to take this case because it is absolutely about time that someone taught EON a valuable lesson they wont forget!!!

Anyone have any similar experiences or any ideas on this matter please reply.
    Anyone thinking of using EON as their provider should seriously consider alternatives. BE WARNED!!!

I have a similar complaint against EON and against Equifax: Eon "shared" with Equifax my supposed 5 months of being in arrears on payments. So they (unknown to me) put a 5 (Red box) in December 2015, even though all the preceding months in 2015 were Green/OK !!! They said I had cancelled the direct debit in December 2015, and did not re-commence payments until Jan 9th 2016 (ie, 3 weeks later). I also disputed who it was who stopped that DD, as I did not recall doing so, AND EON admitted that they did NOT have a copy of an email that should have been sent to me to notify of a missed payment.

EON's lame and convoluted reason for putting a "5" was that it was 5 months since I had entered into a lower payment plan, so I "owed" them money, which meant (in their twisted "logic") that I was "5 months in arrears" in paying that debt - DESPITE the fact that there WAS an agreed payment plan of whatever type/level in place throughout all of 2015, and ALL of those pre-December payments were made. So, what should have been at most a "1" in the December 2015 box was a "5" in EON's view.

So, I had 3 attempts at a loan refused, and then checked my credit record with Equifax - and got the shock of my life. And after discussing with Equifax, and with EON (who have a neanderthal accounts department, based on their ignorance, stubbornness and recalcitrance), EON says they are within their rights - as THEY interpret their rights, of course - to leave that 5 there as a valid response. I have gone through their Complaints procedure, and the Resolutions person I spoke with admitted that they have had other complaints just like this, but they can't get their accounts dept MULE to change their mind and be reasonable. So, I am off to the Energy Ombudsman now.

To add insult to injury, my complaints to Equifax have also fallen mostly on deaf ears, as they continue to repeatedly parrot back that they cannot change the info that EON shares with them.

But I AM continuing to challenge Equifax for THEIR words "very poor" in relation to "Ability to make payments" !!! And this is due to only 1 (disputed) missed payment (of about £50). And as I have NO OTHER AMBER OR RED boxes on the other 6 credit agreements that I have, this terrible rating by Equifax is due SOLELY to what EON has done to me. Utterly Disgusting.

Avoid EON at all cost. What a load of utterly inconsiderate A******s. And Equifax are NO better, but impossible to avoid them, sadly.
  • GingerBob_3
    GingerBob_3 Posts: 3,659 Forumite
    An old thread, but still valid. You say avoid Eon at all costs. Yes, but bear in mind npower and Scottish Power are much worse, and British Gas are bad when it comes to malicious credit reporting. Your safest bet is EDF, who don't report accounts.

As with an increasing number of companies, Eon use credit reporting as a blackmailing tool. The purpose of the credit reporting "industry", for want of a better word, is to identify people who default on loans and so on. It was never intended that companies should use it to bludgeon their customers into compliance, with fear of blacklisting if they don't - but that's precisely what we now have, where the likes of Eon are allowed, indeed encouraged, to defame customers with whom they are in dispute. It is a truly sorry state of affairs and urgently needs addressing with legislation to rein in the CRAs.

I would again encourage everyone that has this sort of CRA problem to contact their MP.
  • shortcrust
    shortcrust Posts: 2,697 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary Newshound!
    So many of these stories involve a variation on "I don't recall cancelling the DD". That's how politicians answer questions. I'm sure in many cases the truth is "I did cancel the DD because I didn't want to pay my bill and thought no more about it until I got turned down for credit and checked my report".
  • Former_E.ON_Company_Representative:_Malc
    Former_E.ON_Company_Representative:_Malc Posts: 6,558 Organisation Representative
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    DMZ wrote: »
    I have a similar complaint against EON and against Equifax: Eon "shared" with Equifax my supposed 5 months of being in arrears on payments. So they (unknown to me) put a 5 (Red box) in December 2015, even though all the preceding months in 2015 were Green/OK !!! They said I had cancelled the direct debit in December 2015, and did not re-commence payments until Jan 9th 2016 (ie, 3 weeks later). I also disputed who it was who stopped that DD, as I did not recall doing so, AND EON admitted that they did NOT have a copy of an email that should have been sent to me to notify of a missed payment.

EON's lame and convoluted reason for putting a "5" was that it was 5 months since I had entered into a lower payment plan, so I "owed" them money, which meant (in their twisted "logic") that I was "5 months in arrears" in paying that debt - DESPITE the fact that there WAS an agreed payment plan of whatever type/level in place throughout all of 2015, and ALL of those pre-December payments were made. So, what should have been at most a "1" in the December 2015 box was a "5" in EON's view.

So, I had 3 attempts at a loan refused, and then checked my credit record with Equifax - and got the shock of my life. And after discussing with Equifax, and with EON (who have a neanderthal accounts department, based on their ignorance, stubbornness and recalcitrance), EON says they are within their rights - as THEY interpret their rights, of course - to leave that 5 there as a valid response. I have gone through their Complaints procedure, and the Resolutions person I spoke with admitted that they have had other complaints just like this, but they can't get their accounts dept MULE to change their mind and be reasonable. So, I am off to the Energy Ombudsman now.

To add insult to injury, my complaints to Equifax have also fallen mostly on deaf ears, as they continue to repeatedly parrot back that they cannot change the info that EON shares with them.

But I AM continuing to challenge Equifax for THEIR words "very poor" in relation to "Ability to make payments" !!! And this is due to only 1 (disputed) missed payment (of about £50). And as I have NO OTHER AMBER OR RED boxes on the other 6 credit agreements that I have, this terrible rating by Equifax is due SOLELY to what EON has done to me. Utterly Disgusting.

Avoid EON at all cost. What a load of utterly inconsiderate A******s. And Equifax are NO better, but impossible to avoid them, sadly.

Hello DMZ and welcome to the Forums.

Sounds as though you're at the end of our complaints process. I agree, as you're not happy with what's been done, the Ombudsman will be the best way to go. Have we sent our 'Final Resolution Offer' letter? This will help when approaching the Ombudsman.

You mention a payment plan. Was there an outstanding balance on the account when payments temporarily stopped? If there was, this will be what we shared with Equifax. I suspect the 5 will be the age of the debt in months at the time of the share. Whilst the arrangement was in place and payments made as agreed, we'll have shared the greens. It's when an agreed arrangement fails that debt follow up starts with the knock on effect with shared data. Usually, we'll only cancel a Monthly Direct Debit where the payment collection fails. Did this happen? Your bank will have details.

I'm speculating quite a bit here DMZ and sorry if I'm out of kilter. Hope the stuff about the Ombudsman is useful though.

Malc
    Official Company Representative
    I am an official company representative of E.ON. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • Rocarro
    Rocarro Posts: 10 Forumite
    To the OP,
    The Ombudsman has been mentioned a couple of times on these threads. I have no experience of dealing with the energy ombudsman but my dealings with the financial ombudsman has left me distinctly underwhelmed. If they're anything like them then don't hold your breath (take a look at my recent thread).
    So, regardless of what the ombudsman says you'll probably want to raise with the 3 x credit ref agencies (callcredit, equifax and experian) explaining that its in dispute/incorrect/being investigated by the ombudsman and asking that they suppress this information in the meantime. Then you'll also want to contact the Information Commissioner's Office (google ICO.org.uk and look for a document entitled 'Principles for the reporting of Arrears, Arrangements and Defaults at Credit Reference Agencies' to guide you ...and them....the person I spoke to at ICO was unaware of this guidance).
    What is depressing about all the above posts is that its entirely within the gift of the company who has placed the default marker on your credit file to have it removed. So, if E.On has accepted the argument (I'd make that point very clearly in your letter to the ICO) then they just need to let the CRAs know that they can expunge that from your file. It seems pretty disingenuous therefore that E.On are saying that they will wait to hear back from the Ombudsman - sounds like they're waiting to see whether they can 'get away with it' or be made to put it right.
    Read that doc mentioned above - it really is helpful!
  • Eon can not tell my son what went wrong with his account to make them report it. He has got all the records to show payments were made on time. Telephone staff can’t help where does he go from there?
  • What appears on his credit files in relation to the account?
  • Rocarro wrote: »
    To the OP,
    The Ombudsman has been mentioned a couple of times on these threads. I have no experience of dealing with the energy ombudsman but my dealings with the financial ombudsman has left me distinctly underwhelmed. If they're anything like them then don't hold your breath (take a look at my recent thread).

Energy ombudsman is as corrupt and dishonest as EON, I sold a house and despite being in credit have EON chasing me for the buyers bills.

I'm now on a credit blacklist, despite being the one who is owed the money.

A complaint to the energy ombudsman is a complete and utter waste of time.

The only thing it achieved was to get copies of the bills that EON said did not exist.

The process dragged on for months, the case handler simply ignored the problems, did not reply to any of my emails, ignored my offers to supply evidence that the house had indeed been sold and decided that no sale had taken place and that I was responsible for the bills of the people we sold it to, and the people who bought it from our buyers.

EON should be closed down and its directors jailed.
    "Love you Dave Brooker! x"

"i sent a letter headded sales of god act 1979"
  • I'm now on a credit blacklist, despite being the one who is owed the money.

There aren't any credit blacklists.
  • There aren't any credit blacklists.

Yes there are.

Why would anyone pretend otherwise?
    "Love you Dave Brooker! x"

"i sent a letter headded sales of god act 1979"
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income