Smart Meters and British Gas Drop

Options
My opinion, your statement. Smart meters are free is wrong. My latest ( newsletter) Companies have been given to go ahead to to claw back the 11 billion from consumers after completion of the roll out. Many Experts say there are Safety, Health, and Fire issues. Some meters have not allowed users to change suppliers for they do not match up. In the United States some suppliers have broken in to homes to forcibly fit these items. Many have found bills go up not down.
Again my opinion, the future will see different rates at different times and not to our advantage. Data is now valuable and these machines will collect the latter.
I fear there is the smell of profit in the air. and not for the consumer!

Comments

• molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,862 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    A smidgeon of truth drowned out by a bucket load of tin foil hat paranoia.
  • Ectophile
    Ectophile Posts: 7,335 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Eric_Brown wrote: »
    My opinion, your statement. Smart meters are free is wrong. My latest ( newsletter) Companies have been given to go ahead to to claw back the 11 billion from consumers after completion of the roll out.
    The price of the meter is factored into the price of electricity and gas. You are probably already paying a bit more to cover the meter roll out, whether or not you have one.
    Many Experts say there are Safety, Health, and Fire issues.
    If there's a loose connection somewhere, then disturbing it while changing meters can cause overheating, and possibly a fire. The same would apply replacing an old meter with a new non-smart one. The meter installer should check the wiring that they install, but if the meter tails into your consumer unit (fuse box) are loose, then they won't know.
    Some meters have not allowed users to change suppliers for they do not match up.
    That won't be any different to any other metering issues. Smart meters don't stop you switching suppliers, through they may stop being smart.
    In the United States some suppliers have broken in to homes to forcibly fit these items.
    But not in this country.
    Many have found bills go up not down.
    Smart meters don't magically cut your bills. The only way your bills can go down is if you use the display gadget to realise that you should be turning things off.
    Again my opinion, the future will see different rates at different times and not to our advantage. Data is now valuable and these machines will collect the latter.
    I fear there is the smell of profit in the air. and not for the consumer!
    If it sticks, force it.
    If it breaks, well it wasn't working right anyway.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure