Teaching Pension

Comments

• xylophone
    xylophone Posts: 44,336 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    If you accrued benefits in both

I am not sure whether there was any TPS - my reading of the situation is that he had STPS and a private pension which he transferred into STPS?

This transfer took place well before he took his DB pension around four years ago.

He seems to be querying the amount of benefit that the transfer bought?

He says that he has been contributing to the CA arrangement for the past four years so will be entitled to a small pension from that as well.
  • xylophone
    edited 18 October 2018 at 4:07PM
    I should say that I have retired but kept on working.

Have you obtained a new state pension statement?

https://www.gov.uk/check-state-pension

You query seems to centre round the transfer in to the DB (age 60) scheme?

Check your record as suggested in post 2 above.

Can you clarify whether you taught outside Scotland?
  • garry_s
    garry_s Posts: 53 Forumite
    I never taught in England. It is true that I am querying the private pension that was paid into my Scottish Teachers Pension.

I do not know if my pension is low or not. Just felt that the pension should have been higher. But if i see it in black & white then I will feel reassured.
  • garry_s
    Checked my state pension - part of it is contracted out.
  • garry_s
    People are asking me to check out the records but there are no records there to check out!
  • JoeCrystal
    JoeCrystal Posts: 3,010 Forumite
    garry_s wrote: »
    People are asking me to check out the records but there are no records there to check out!

Then how on earth you were able to retire on TPS final salary pension?!
  • xylophone
    Checked my state pension - part of it is contracted out.

You would have been contracted out in STPS up to 2016.

What exactly does your statement say?

You have been receiving your STPS pension for the last four years.

The Administrator must have the information
    ( all service periods, with transfer-in credits included and marked up accordingly)
    that enabled the calculation of this pension.

Ask for it.
  • hyubh
    hyubh Posts: 3,531 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    The benefit statements were always posted out. (to the school you worked in or to your home) I remember in the 80s and 90s saying in the staffroom that I was disappointed that no benefit statements were available in some years but no one bothered and seemed to accept that excuse.

Unfunded public sector schemes like the TPS/STSS only had to provide annual benefit statements from a few years ago - even other DB schemes (LGPS, private sector) only had to do so from 2005, for the 2004/5 financial year. So, to be honest, I'm a bit confused at this memory. (PS - annual benefit statements are different things to deferred benefit statements/statements of preserved benefits - the latter would have been produced all along, after the member left.)
    Looked at my benefit statements - only two years.

Presumably this is only for your current active membership. They won't show anything for your pension already in payment, and it's the latter that (I assume) includes the transfer in...?
    Looked at my pension - there is no mention of what has been paid in . I just need to know if and when my private pension was paid in and the various contributions from different councils/authorities.

When you left, you would have been provided with a statement of benefits that included a service breakdown. What's been 'paid in' is irrelevant, it's the reckonable service the transfer value(s) bought you that counts.

Also, when you transferred, you would have received documentation telling you this too. Do you still have this? The process would have been, get a quote first, which would include details of the service the CETV would buy, then potentially receive pretty much the same info again after you elected to proceed and the transfer was completed. Or, put another way: the transfer would not have been automatic, without you being told what you were getting for it.
  • garry_s
    Well i am as confused as ever. The confusion arises from the fact that there were (sometimes) no benefit statements in the 80s/90s. I paid a private pension in (around the late 80s) and I worked for various councils. At the time I was more concerned about my teaching career and we didn't bother too much about pensions. I retired a few times. I now have three pensions.
  • JoeCrystal
    JoeCrystal Posts: 3,010 Forumite
    Well i am as confused as ever. The confusion arises from the fact that there were (sometimes) no benefit statements in the 80s/90s. I paid a private pension in (around the late 80s) and I worked for various councils. At the time I was more concerned about my teaching career and we didn't bother too much about pensions. I retired a few times. I now have three pensions.

Then check with your three pension administrators and come back with the information. Resolve your confusion. We can't help out any further until you get the relevant information to be honest.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure